Wednesday, July 21, 2021

By a mountain stream

 

I'm once again joining Butterfly from Words and Pictures, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme of Summer Countryside

I found this peaceful mountain stream high in the mountains where I can relax and appreciate the beauty of the countryside.

In case you can't read my writing or need a translation, the words I wrote are: "Oh Summer!  My favorite stream high in the mountains."  I hope it described this mountain scene with a lazy stream meandering through the trees.

I began by sewing blue thread to accentuate the water,

then added some real wood pieces and tiny pebbles from my yard that reminded me of the fallen branches and rocks found in the scene.

I've included a few detail photos, too.




I started this page with a background of 110 lb cardstock I colored pink and orange using Staz-on reinkers and 91% Isopropyl alcohol.  I then sewed a magazine image to the 8.5 X 11 inch cardstock.  I added the wood and a tiny pebble or two from my garden.  Finally, I added the sentiment which I wrote by hand and colored using a green watercolor.

Thank you for joining Bleubeard and me today.  We hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of Summer Countryside.


25 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Clever, I like the sewing! You always give me new ideas!
And the wood, cool.

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice page Elizabeth, and the sewing accentuates the water very well. I did some sewing yesterday, my machine kept having hissy fits! Have a great day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

How beautiful.
I would love to spend some time in that idyllic spot.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh this is wonderful Elizabeth, what an excellent way to add texture to a favourite scene. I can see why this area is so special to you 💜

nwilliams6 said...

I love that you added things from your garden to this peaceful and beautiful magazine page, Elizabeth. Very cool! Wherever this is, is a beautiful place! Hugz

CJ Kennedy said...

Your handwriting, sewing, and the added bits of pebbles and wood really bring this scene to life.

My name is Erika. said...

That's such a pretty scene. I want to be there as it looks cooler and crisper. It works perfect for Alison's challenge. I'm off for an early appointment today, allergy shots again, so keeping this short. Have a great day. Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

With any luck, I'll be seeing mountains soon. But there are so many IFs! I might just have to contemplate images only.

best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Annie said...

How nice it would be to visit this beautiful place. How clever of you to add the sewing in the stream and the real world wood pieces and pebbles! I’m sure I would never have thought to do that. Inspiring!

Barbara said...

Lovely embellishments, real and otherwise! A very peaceful scene.

Cindy McMath said...

The sewing really adds a lot to this lovely piece. Oh and I loved the cats’ birthday pictures! Haha.

Crafting With Jack said...

Lovely picture, I thought it was a photograph of your favourite streams at first. Great additions including the sewing. X Angela

Divers and Sundry said...

I like how you worked your sewing into the design. Nice!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what a pretty piece Elizabeth !!! would that we could all be there.. hey !!! :) ☺☺♥♥

Rita said...

So pretty! :)

Olde Dame Holly Rose said...

That came out very pretty, especially the added dimensional pieces. Almost like a diorama!

aussie aNNie said...

Peace and beauty...xx

Nicole/DVAtist/Beadwright said...

Wow this is very nice. I really like the sewing.

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous scene! I'll come and join you by that beautiful mountain stream too ;-)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Yes! Let's sit here a while! I love this Elizabeth Great idea to add those bits and pieces! Hugs, Chrisx

Lowcarb team member said...

What a beautiful scene it is, and I love how you've done this.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

This looks like such an inviting spot, a place I'd like to visit. I like how you've done the page very much.

Meggymay said...

A beautiful page and scene. A place to sit and enjoy the countryside in all its wonder, it does have 'the wish you were here. factor for me.
Yvonne xx

Sharon Madson said...

This is just fabulous! Love the sewing, and added pebbles from your garden. Lovely work, Elizabeth!

Words and Pictures said...

That's a completely magical countryside scene - somewhere I'd love to sit and contemplate (leaving well before dusk and the mosquitos of course). I love the added stitching and the pebbles from your garden - a great way to add texture and dimensional detail.
Alison x