Thursday, July 8, 2021

Book of the Month or maybe the Year!

 

As my friend Sandra Cox would say, greetings blogger buds.  Today I have a book you can sink your teeth into.

It is called Keeper Tyree and the author is my good friend Sandra Cox.
 

Today’s cowboy expression: Brown Gargle.

Like we do today, the cowboys of the old West used a good bit of slang. This is one I’m not too fond of. It’s just too visual an image for me. Brown gargle meant coffee. I’ll have another cup of brown gargle. Ack.

~*~

Keeper Tyree is an aging bounty hunter who lives by his own set of rules. He’s a hard man, but he’s just, and his word is his bond. He’s a loner and likes it that way. Then Cathleen O’Donnell catapults into his life looking to hire his gun. Josiah Pardee has killed her boy and she’s out for vengeance. Somehow all his hard and fast rules, including working alone and minding his own business, crumbles in the face of the immovable widow he now works for. He finds himself rescuing soiled doves, a myopic bookworm more suited to city life than the Wild West, and an hombre being dragged to death by angry cardplayers as he tracks down the murdering sidewinder Josiah Pardee.  

 

Excerpt

I’m told you’re a gunslinger by trade.”

When I’m not bounty hunting, my gun is for hire.” He fingered his coffee cup.

Is it for hire now?”

I have no problem going after Pardee.”

How much do you charge?”

Five hundred plus expenses.”

How much will expenses run me?” She sat at the edge of her chair, her back ramrod straight.

Right to the point. I like that.”

Well?” She didn’t smile just waited for an answer.

Not much. For the most part grub and bullets.”

I’ve got a hundred in the cookie jar.”

Before she could say more, he interrupted, holding up his hand. “Never tell a stranger where you keep your money, Mrs…”

O’Donnell. Cathleen O’Donnell.” She held her hand out across the table.

He grasped it. A small hand lost in his big paw. Not rough. But not as soft as it could be either. A working hand.

You’re right, of course. You must think I’m emptyheaded. I’m not.” Her shoulders straightened even more if that was possible and her chin notched up.

No,” he responded in his raspy voice, his expression unsmiling and straightforward. “Emptyheaded never entered my mind.” Inconsolable. Grieving nearly to the point of madness but not emptyheaded. Keen intelligence shown from those wintery eyes that changed from gray to blue and back again depending on her emotions.

I don’t have five hundred.”

Well now.” He tipped his chair back on two legs. “I don’t work for less.”

I’ll get it somehow.” Determination coated her voice and those changing eyes grew darker. “I can give you a hundred and I’ll raise the rest.”

And how do you propose to do that?”

She cleared her throat and looked him in the eye. “I’ll do anything to avenge my son’s death. Anything.” Color flooded her face.

Have you made this offer to anyone else?” His chair came down with a thump and his gruff voice came out gruffer than usual.

No. I need someone that’s fast with his gun, ruthless and won’t be held back by principles. When I asked around, your name kept cropping up. I want you.”

Whether you are drinking "brown gargle," coffee, tea, or even wine, you are sure to enjoy this latest offering from Sandra.  You can purchase it in paperback or as an E book.

Now let's meet Sandra in case you don't know who she is:

Sandra is a vegetarian, animal lover and avid gardener, and also writes as S. Cox. She lives with her husband, their dog and cats in sunny North Carolina.
 
    Her stories consist of all things Western and more. She is a category bestselling Amazon author, Eppie finalist and award winner.

Order link: https://tinyurl.com/KeeperTyree

Web link: http://sandracoxwriter.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Sandra_Cox


Thanks for dropping by today and learning about Sandra's latest western.  In lieu of opposable thumbs, Bleubeard gives it two paws, two ears, and a tail up!



16 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

..."brown gargle" ... LOL!!!
Sounds interesting! Uh-oh. I´m still at Shari´s book, slow reader here, my kindle is full of unread books and I have paper books waiting, too. So dangerous to come here at times, LOL.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely review, Elizabeth, Sandra is a talented lady and I love her books. Brown gargle is certainly a strange name for coffee! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Sandra is SUCH a talented and prolific author isn't she? And a wonderful person as well.

Crafting With Jack said...

Brown gargle - yuck! I popped over to Sandra’s, she writes on quite a few themes. I bought the first cat one. Although I have hundreds of free ones on my kindle - a lot are getting deleted during the first chapter! Thank you for your second visit, can you post a photo of your big rocking horse please x Angela #3

My name is Erika. said...

Fun to see a book review dear Elizabeth. I looked up Sandra on Amazon, and wow, she has written a lot of books. And I agree , brown gargle sounds really icky. Happy Thursday!

Barbara said...

I will check our S. Cox and her work! Sounds intriguing....

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks for hosting me, dear Elizabeth. Love the header:)
You are a Keeper:)

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Iris, You sound like me:) I read both E's and paper too.

Thanks for those kind words, Val. I appreciate you. You always hold out a helping hand:)

Thanks, EC:) I appreciate all your support. You always have the right words---which is a gift.

Thanks, Crafting with Jack. I hope you enjoy Shardai. The story was inspired by my soul cat that I lost to cancer.

Hi Erika, Thanks for taking the time to pop over to Amazon. Yup, brown gargle sounds pretty disgusting:)

Barbara, Thanks so much for the interest. It's appreciated.

Divers and Sundry said...

What an intriguing attention-getting review. It does make me curious. I think you should re-run "brown gargle" as a T Tuesday post. Perfect :)

DVArtist said...

Very nice review Elizabeth.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; what an awesome post///write up for Sandra !!!

and wavez two ewe frankie and callie'z mom frum uz tabbies ~~~~~ ☺☺☺♥♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

Divers and Sundry, I love the idea of a brown gargle as a T post:)
DVArtist, Elizabeth is great isn't she?
FSG, Frankie and Callie are waving back or will be when they finish eating:)

Sharon Madson said...

LOL “brown gargle”; that is why I drink tea, not coffee. This is such a fun review for your friend, Elizabeth. Thanks for introducing your friend to us.

aussie aNNie said...

Great review and hubby said he may get this...xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Sandra is a talented lady with a way with words. Brown gargle 😺 'Spect I'll pass on a cup.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I think my Dad would have loved this book! Chrisx