Tuesday, July 6, 2021

What's On Your Workdesk this Wednesday: Julia's Birthday

 

It's Wednesday in many parts of the world and this week, today in fact, Bleubeard, Squiggles, and I are wishing Julia (who can be found at Stamping Ground) a very happy birthday.  Sorry, Julia, I didn't bake a cake.   

On my table today are two sheets of red scrapbook paper to use in an art journal, another item I will discuss later, and two unopened packages.
 
As much as I love to show postage stamps

these are both metered.  Note the first one was mailed on June 1 and the second was mailed on June 15.  Both arrived the same day.

On the left is a gift from Lyn (Spyder).  On the right, as I'm sure everyone knows, is this gorgeous gift from Debbie (Tatteredrocks) honoring Shaz Silverwolf.  This is even more beautiful in person and I was thrilled when I received it.  Debbie, I cannot thank you enough for your kindness, caring, and absolutely incredible art.

Lyn's gift has been opened.  I think this is what people call a belly band, but I think of it as an adorable cat closure.  The cats continue inside the folder, too.  Lyn sent two incredible ATCs that represent WOYWW's 624th post.  These and the lovely postcard are so sweet.  As I told Lyn when I thanked her for the gift, I only sent two ATCs this year, and now I feel bad.  Fortunately, I have Lyn's address, so she may see something in the mail one of these months, too.  Thank you so much Lyn for your unbelievable gift and thanks again to Debbie for your great art and incredible generosity.

I know that many of you have come to see the rocking horse of the week.

Although it is not the smallest I own (by any means), it is small.  It is a beautiful crystal rocking horse, with strung crystal rockers.  In case you are wondering about the ruler on the table, it is not to show the size of the rocking horse.  Instead, last week, my friend Neet commented about not knowing what a drafter's ruler or architect's scale was.  When not in use as a ruler, it normally sits in its case, seen at the back of the photo.

I decided if Neet didn't know what it was, others wouldn't either, but wouldn't take time to ask. There are six different scales on this prism shaped tool.  Architect's scales are used to make and read drawings made to a specific scale.  They are specifically used when drawing a blueprint.  Architect scales have numbers that run incrementally both from left to right and from right to left. A whole number or fraction to the left or right of the number line indicates the scale those numbers represent.  Metric scales are used in most other countries in the world.  Today, computer programs draw the work to scale.
 
Now it's time to head to Julia's and wish her a very happy birthday.

38 thoughtful remarks:

Mae Travels said...

I haven't seen one of those drafting tools in a long time. When I was working, I had responsibility for documenting computerized drafting programs. These were replacing hand-made scale drawings with computerized drawings. It was more work to make the first one on the computer, but then changes were really much faster. To change most hand-made drawings, you had to re-do the entire thing. Not at all the case when the master copy is stored in a computer.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Nice happy mail. Happy mail is always fun to get. The wolf art is amazing, and that tiny rocking horse is really delicate and pretty. Those are great gifts. Have a good Wednesday! Hugs-Erika

Sarah Brennan said...

Fabulous happy mail Elizabeth. The tiny rocking horse is beautiful. I have never seen a drafting ruler before so thanks for explaining. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #6

Helen said...

Fabulous happy mail! love the cute little rocking horse for your collection. have a happy WOYWW and hope you get/got your lawn mowed. Helen #8

Elephant's Child said...

I hope Julia has a very happy birthday.
Love your gifts - and the crystal rocking horse.
Bloggers are simply the best.

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful gifts and such a cute rocking horse!
An architect's scale? I had a Coolman A0 drawing machine, something like this.

I had to scale in my head. Booooy. Germans do live behind a rock - how cool is your tool!

Neet said...

Well, first of all thank you so much for the explanation of the ruler. I have definitely never seen one, or if I have I have forgotten.
Lovely happy mail, isn't it nice to get something unexpected.
Of course the little rocking horse is absolutely delightful. I love the crystal rockers and his cute little face and tail, I hope he lives somewhere nice and safe.
Have a good week.
Love to all three of you (and Wendy of course)
Neet 11 xxxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Now that sure is happy mail, crafters are so generous sharing their work around the world but I agree the postage system can be crazy at times.
Love the rocking horse, did you know there is a Rocking Horse Sizzix Bigz Die that you can use in your Sizzix Big Shot now..?? Thought of you right away when I saw it.
It's a good tool to have is the drafters ruler, mine is metal and keeps my fingers where they belong when i'm cutting.
Happy WoywW Hugs Tracey #9 xx

Lynnecrafts said...

I love your gifts and your crystal rocking horse. I used to use a scale rule as well, it’s a common tool in engineering as well for reading scaled drawings, eg to measure the width of a tunnel walkway on a 1:200 drawing, you find the appropriate scale on the ruler and voila! It will tell you. I have a 6” one I kept in my handbag.
Take care and happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 10

Ali Wade Designs said...

Happy WOYWW. Beautiful packages. Always wonderful to get happy post. A very cute and small rocking horse. Ali x #12

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Elizabeth! You got some lovely happy mail. I got a card from a friend who lives down the road, perhaps a kilometre, and the post took a whole week to deliver it! Crazy! Enjoy your lovely presents. I have one of those rulers, too, it belonged to my late husband. Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Now that really is happy mail, such gorgeous gifts and they are both something to be treasured. The mail seems to be a bit like that at the moment though it does depend on where in the UK it came from and how far it has to go to get to a sorting office. We may be a small country but sometimes it seems to take a while for things to get to where they are needed but they have arrived at that's the main thing. I can just imagine the earlier parcel sitting in the bag waiting for the later one to arrive and when it did and the bag was full they said "Right we can be off now"! hee! hee! Have a very happy woyww, Angela x18x

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I hadn’t spotted that ruler on your desk but what a fascinating thing - I love tools like that, so simple and yet do a complicated task well. What fab happy mail too,, deskers are such generous folk!!
Hugs LLJ 1 xx

Diana Taylor said...

What gorgeous mail you received - I recently heard the term belly band but had no idea what it meant so thank you for the explanation - it seems obvious now I know!! The little rocking horse is delightful and I should imagine the drafter's rule will be a collector's item soon, with everything being done by computer these days.
Hope you have a great week,
Diana xx #17

Shoshi said...

Lovely happy mail, Elizabeth, and what an exquisite little rocking horse. The architect's ruler is lovely too. Those triangular ones are much easier to grasp and use.

Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi #19

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

It's so exciting getting pressies in the mail, especially if unexpected. That's a cute rocking horse for sure! I'm so disappointed with Royal Mail's electronic postage. It's so soul-less - they should bring back the beautiful postage stamps - I would pay extra if they would use them! Happy WOYWW, Elizabeth! I thought you were on holiday! Perhaps you just haven't left yet? zsuzsa #22

Crafting With Jack said...

Fabulous parcels or should I say parcel contents! Your tiny rocking horse is exquisite, where do you keep them all? I won’t explain what a treble is because the terms are different in America to UK. I think I am right in saying a double in the UK is a single in America. Happy WOYWW Angela #3

Empire of the Cat said...

What a cute little rocking horse! I did know what a drafting ruler was but I liked seeing yours and the explanation. I have a different kind of ruler for scale drawings and I realised I don't know where it is right now hmmm... yes nearly all of our international mail gets one of these printed barcode type labels, everything gets scanned, but not as nice as the pretty stamps that we produce and hardly ever see Happy WOYWW! Elle #24, EOTC

Shoshi said...

Thank you for your lovely comment, Elizabeth, and especially for your thoughts for me on Friday. Yes, my room is looking somewhat different from when I started, isn't it! It's actually a pleasure to go in there now, which is a good start for being creative again. That will have to wait a while, though. I got some more new stash in the post today!! I am going to have a lot of fun when the time comes.

Shoshi x

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy mail! Cool treats :)

Lindart said...

HI Elizabeth! The drafting ruler is something I grew up with in my house for some reason! I always like the triangular shape of it. Lovely happy mail! Is there a way to get everyone's address in the group? Anyway, have a great week, stay safe, Lindart #28

Sandra Cox said...

What fun. You received all sorts of wonderful, well deserved goodies.
I think we need a new postmaster general.....
Happy Birthday to Julia;)

Annie said...

I had a busy morning shortening 3 hems on a bridesmaid’s dress and then steaming it And since lunch I’ve been for my annual diabetic eye test (although it’s 18 months since my last thanks to Covid!) so I’m just catching up with a few blogs before the football starts.
Your rule remind me of my slide rule ( I’ve still got it somewhere)....back in the day it was used a lot but very probably doesn’t get so much use these days.
Hugs,
Annie x #13

da tabbies o trout towne said...

VERY nice gifts from your friends Elizabeth !!! what a nice surprise in the mailbox today


also sending birthday wishes to your friend Julia !! ♥♥

wavez two ewe bleu and squiggles; stay kewl two day and cauz trubull ;) ♥♥☺☺

Computer Tutor said...

Enjoy the gifts! And odd about the mailing dates. No telling anymore when snail mail will arrive!

Julia Dunnit said...

Thank you dear gal, for your ebirthday card, made me laugh out loud! Isn’t it boring that UK post offices no longer use actual stamps if you have to have something weighed and checked. The guy that runs our local post office says it’s faster and cheaper for him to print the barcode thing and I don’t doubt it. He says he carries a small number of regular stamps and only buys picture stamps for christmas. I didn’t call him a Philistine, but I wanted to! I love the crystal rocking horse, I’m a bit of a sucker for crystal and cut glass. Bart still uses a a drafting tool as you called it, he refers to it a a scale rule, does use CAD bunt is old school enough to enjoy the setting out.

StampinCarol said...

I had an employer many years ago that taught me how to make blueprints and this kind of ruler got heavy use! Haven't seen one in years. Great memories.
Beautiful crystal horse. So delicate!
And what a fun gift and ATCs!
Thanks for popping by and have a great week!
Carol N #26

DVArtist said...

These are just wonderful gifts. You are fortunate to get them. Have fun with them.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for your visit we took 2 days away and I'm running behind !! Beautiful post, your mail pieces are both Beautiful. So glad you received them. OUR mail in our area is unreal. The HUB city has limited employees so mail sits. Then it SITS to be sorted closer to home. And with 3 part time country mail people, delivering seems to be confusing where the final pieces belong. ODD we have NAMES/ADDRESSES on the boxes!!! They don't want phone calls, so I VISIT...with a hand full of mail not addressed to me. WHERE IS MY MAIL? Sorry RANT was needed. 2 pcs 18 days , 6 days within town and what I'm missing I'm not sure. oh and magazines are delivered 6 at a time, sorting must happen once a month. It's a real bummer. Now I'm laughing to myself. The world we live in !!
Have a great weekend I promise to calm down.

Caro said...

Lovely happy mail and I'm so glad it made it to you safely. That little rocking horse is adorable - thanks for showing us. Sorry I'm so late this week - it's chaos here as usual! Happy belated WOYWW. Take care and stay safe. With love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#15)

roffeycreations said...

Thanks for popping by to my workspace - you are correct Debbie wrapped the Silverwolf so well - it was so lovely to unwrap. Your crystal rocking horse is adorable - Do you have names for all of them? - Have a great week - Maurs xxx #21

Shoshi said...

Thank you for your sweet comment, Elizabeth, and for all your kind thoughts. Everything went well, and today I am feeling much better than I thought I would. All news on my Breast Cancer Diary page on my blog, and more news next Wednesday, I've no doubt.

Shoshi x #19

Anne said...

Hello and thank you for visiting. Sorry I am so late.
Love the rocking horse. Had never seen/heard abut the Ruler, thank you for the explanation.
I sent very few ATC's and managed to be very late with them - story of my life. Take care. Anne x 29

Kelly said...

Good morning,
Thank you for the visit and caring words. Age does creep up on us, doesn't it. Love happy mail. Thank you for the trip to the past. I haven't seen one of those in ages. I learned how to draw blueprints in Home Ec in 9th grade. While I didn't have a drafting ruler, the skill came in handy when we remodeled this house and I drew up the plans for our addition. My contractor was amazed LOL. Not sure because they were useful but not professionally done or because I was a woman. LOL Creative Blessings! Kelly #30

Susan Renshaw said...

I am afraid I am very late this week but hope to get around everyone...

Thanks for your visit to me - and thanks for the emails - So far I have only used alcohol inks on yupo in my spinner but your suggestions of fabric and paint are getting me interested! I use blutack to keep the card in place in the spinner. I have also tried a base card in place then the one to be coloured on top. This works well if it is yupo paper rather than card.

I am on to my next flip book now. The Van Gogh is a favourite of mine too. In face there were many of my favourites in the exhibition. So many from Pisarro, Monet, Manet, Sisley, Degas...

Happy WOYWW!
Susan #20
Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

My name is Cindy said...

I've taken as long to get here as your post Elizabeth. What wonderful happy mail. I would have known what the ruler was as I have several in my craft room. When I did garden design I hand drew all my plans and drawings 'the old fashioned way' with drawing board, tracing paper, to scale in pencil then ink. It's all computerised now of course but I was a very good draughtsman!! Love your tiny rocking horse he is very cute. Happy (very belated) WOYWW, Cindy #23

Spyder said...

Oh Elizabeth! I've done it again, I must have forgotten to press the send button!! I know I popped in last week! So glad the Atc's arrived safely the snail post was very snail like! Love the little rocking horse, so tiny!!Of course the Unicorn was supposed to be a rocking horse but I didn't like the one I had so swapped it! Debbie's work of art is fabulous, I have mine in pride of place. Thank you for your visit. Stay safe and keep crafting! Happy very late last weeks woyww ((Lyn))

Stacy Sheldon said...

Yay for happy mail :) that ruler looks like it would be really handy to hold in that shape. ~Stacy #27