Monday, May 24, 2021

T Stands For Second Thursday Tutorial, Part 2

 

I'm a bit early with this, but the papers are dry, so I thought I would treat this as my Second Thursday Tutorial for June.  For the first time since before Christmas, 2020, I feel I've caught up. 

For those who may have missed the previous post (Part 1), these are the supplies I worked with.

For this technique, I started by saturating a sheet of watercolor paper with coffee.  The shiny item in the background is cling wrap.

I've laid the cling wrap in place,

then scrunched the cling wrap to create patterns.

Unlike in the past, I allowed the coffee to completely dry under the cling wrap before I removed it.

It was at that time, I decided to update everyone with what I had created to date.

It was now time for my next technique,

but first, I had to saturate the watercolor paper with coffee.

It was then time to add the coffee crystals to the wet paper, much like I added the salt and rice in the previous post.  This time, the crystals dissolved into patterns.

For my next technique

I first soaked wax linen thread in coffee for a few days to soak up the coffee.

When I added more coffee, I kept moving the string.  Very frustrating.

It turned out better than I expected, but still left a few open spots in the grid.

For my final technique, I grabbed the Dawn I keep close at hand to wash my hands about a thousand times a day,

and a whisk.

Although I used the whisk to create froth, I fear I didn't use enough Dawn.

The froth wasn't as frothy as I had hoped.

As it dried, the froth didn't act as I envisioned it should.

Only one spot looked as I had envisioned the experiment.

This is how it looked when it was dry.

These are all the experiments

I created for both tutorials.

If you have a technique for making coffee backgrounds that I haven't thought of, please let me know and I will try it.

Ruminations:

1. A few of these turned out better in my head than on paper.

2. I decided to get rid of the coffee I used in this experiment and start over with a new jar of coffee crystals.  I feel I might get different results if I do.

3. My favorite background is still the rice, but I also like the string grid background.  If only I had done a better job on the grid.

I'd now love for you to share your own drink inspired post this week.  It can be gifts you received, photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, mail art, junk mail, catalogs, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink.  Regardless, please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.   Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday and most assuredly not just this year. 





It's also time to dig up your Second on the 2nd. You should have ample time to find and post one for June. I'm really hoping for a better turnout than we got in May.

 

 

29 thoughtful remarks:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Elizabeth, I am really enjoying these tutorials with coffee-such clever ideas. I like the idea of adding Dawn to get all that foam and the string technique too-so fun! thanks for sharing and all the work to set this up for us.
Happy T wishes Kathy

Kate Yetter said...

Wow! Some really great ideas, Elizabeth. I love each one and can't decide which one is my favorite. I agree with you, the suds would look really nice if the whole page was covered with them. As a person who loves textured background I love these.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Linda Kunsman said...

These are all such great experiments with coffee Elizabeth and the results are wonderful!!! What super background papers they will all make! Not sure of one favorite but I AM loving the blown one:) Thanks for sharing the steps, and happy T day!

Mae Travels said...

Happy Tuesday. I watched a wild pig take a drink from a pond, and posted his photo for Tuesday's party. I hope everyone is enjoying a good week. We are doing nonstop hikes etc so I'll be back to visit you next week

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

What a great set of papers you have. The string one is really eye catching, well they all are. I hope we'll be seeing them soon in some art. And just like last week, this is a great idea for a T day post. Very clever and original. And the results are great too. Have a wonderful T day dear friend. Hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Wow all of these are amazing. I love each one for different reasons. Thanks for sharing. Have a very nice evening.

Olde Dame Holly said...

I like the grid one very much, too.

Darla said...

I really enjoyed seeing the different backgrounds beside one another. They all have something interesting to offer.

Ideas? How about doing a resist design (I'm thinking rubber cement) and then doing a wash of coffee over that? You would need a fairly heavy paper.

Rita said...

I learned the saran wrap technique in a watercolor class. We learned some of these other techniques, too--but with watercolors. They are such fun! But the being patient not to touch them till they dried was hard--LOL! Really nice how they worked with coffee, too. :)

Iris Flavia said...

Languages... "cling wrap" - now I sadly cannot get up to look what we call it cause I have a tool to store it. I think it´s "Klarsichtfolie" - you can see through it.

Cool idea - ours is too... clingy to do that, though.

Wow, the "string theory" turned out great!!!

Hehe, joined your languages theme again. and added something on my post!
The froth looks great, too.
What coffee do you use, "real" one or instant or does it not matter?

Great outcomes. Can´t even pick a favorite!

Elephant's Child said...

Clever. Messy. Fun.

Cloudia said...

Stay Fascinated, Dear!

Mia said...

What a great tutorial, Elizabeth. I love all the backgrounds you made, especially the grid one with the linen wax. I think I have to try making some backgrounds using coffee. Hugs, my friend.

J said...

Elizabeth I love all the experiments you've done with the coffee, I like the cling film one and the salt, I enjoyed making BGs with cling film and inks.
The Linen Wax one I liked but couldn't do it as the thought of it sets my teeth on edge, not sure why!!
Happy T Day
Jan S

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fabulous papers! I love how you used the string - amazing and so gorgeous 😀. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

They all turned out wonderful. I like the string and the rice best. For the soap technique, I have done that as "Bubble Marbling" I put water and soap in a cup with color (I used colored inks) and with a straw blew bubbles until the froth/bubbles grew over the cup. Does that make sense? Then gently pressed my paper on the froth. Happy T Day

Barbara said...

Foam and strings? Wow, this post takes me back to my college years where we were instructed to do similar things in drawing classes with India ink I always liked those assignments. Great results with yours!

Halle said...

I always enjoy a through tutorial from you. You are definitely a teacher at heart.
Happy T day!

Did the package arrive?

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the string background but also "blown". And I cling wrap used this way, but when I've done it with acrylics it uses so much paint!

I'm not sure how I didn't know this was Tuesday. *sigh*

Lisca said...

Oh what fun you have had with this coffee experiment. They have all turned out well I think. The bubbles are great, and I'm sure next time you will get a few more. The string and the rice are also very eye-catching.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; all the pieces are great; they would make a nice backsplash and even wallpaper; especially sea salt !!! nice work ☺☺♥♥

Jeanie said...

I love your experiments. They are works of art in themselves!

pearshapedcrafting said...

The bubbles are my favourite but really all of these look great and very useable! Hugs, Chrisx

one irrational bean said...

Cool techniques, and from last week, I love llamas

Sandra Cox said...

What fascinating designs. I can't decide which I like best. You put a lot of work into this project. Thanks for sharing.

nwilliams6 said...

The string grid is my favorite - I may have to try that this weekend. Great techniques and fun post, Elizabeth. Your experiments are super fun and give me a great idea of something fun to try with my grandkids! Happy Late T-Day. Hugz

craftytrog said...

Some great ideas with the coffee! I especially love the string technique.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

EricaSta said...

Wow, thats interesting ideas for making art. Thank you for sharing.

Have a good week.