Saturday, May 1, 2021

Even Babbel is confused

 

Today we welcome a new first time host to Art Journal Journey.  Please give a hearty welcome to Elle, from Empire of the Cat.  Elle makes incredible art, and I am looking forward to playing along with her and her chosen theme, which is Language.

I named this Even Babbel is confused.

You might see why Babbel might be confused.

When I began putting these pages together, the words lined up,

at least for a short time.
 
But it wasn't long until the lines no longer matched

and that caused Babbel's confusion.
 


For this journal page, I got out as many old foreign book pages as I could find.  I tried to line the words up across the page, but that didn't work after the first sentence in several instances.  I sewed all the pages together using variegated thread, then sewed the assembly to a sheet of 110 lb cardstock I colored a dark turquoise pearl acrylic.  I computer generated the sentiment and sewed it to the page after I added the little TH paper doll I positioned on a strip of oriental text.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Elle, Erika, Chris, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Language.   
 
We welcome art journal pages that meet the size and theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric, and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  


21 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

What a fun take on the prompt. I have often longed for the Babel fish from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe. Wouldn't it be wonderful to understand and speak every language?

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous piece Elizabeth, a clever and fun take on the theme. Lovely sewing, too. Have a great May, take care! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

You know maybe bertiebo? Google translate is plain horrible on this. I always think... hmmm, what did she say???

Cool work, you bring it to the point!

I´d hang it on the wall. Would you allow me to, as pic? I am to print some pics at the store soon, anyways, and I would make two, one to send to my Brother who plain refuses to speak English.
I certainly accept a no.

aussie aNNie said...

This is way awesome. love it. xx

Turid said...

So fun. I can understand some of the languages. Great inspiration.

CJ Kennedy said...

This is such a fun page!

My name is Erika. said...

You have some fabulous printed pages in all those languages. What a fun idea for a page. Either that boy is a polyglot or he is really confused. But I also like how is is so small on the page and the words are more than he is. Great start to the month. Happy May my friend. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

This is so clever, Elizabeth. I love the title of your page and that little boy to be the one to share it. The number of pages you have acquired for your babbels are really quite remarkable. I don't know most of those languages! Have a splendid weekend, my friend.

Darla said...

What a fun response to the challenge. I couldn't read a word, LOL! Your artwork is very original.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant page - I have something of a similar idea coming up. You know I love the sewing here...and of course the paper doll figure. Hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

Love the composition, and the stitching "makes it" :)

Neet said...

How wonderful to have different languages in books. I just love to look at some of the foreign languages and here you are with so manh samples. Off for an enlargement and a good old nose.
Hugs, Neet xx

Annie said...

How clever of you to put this journal page together with many pages of foreign languages and the title could not be more perfect. Then stitched all together to illustrate confusion. The child standing amongst his confusion is the perfect detail for the page.

Mae Travels said...

What an interesting theme for images: language. I’m a fan of the blog “Language Log,” which is written by linguists. I”ve learned a lot from reading it for many years.

Today my blog post is partly a response to your post on food insecurity and military families. I’m happy to say I found that legislation is being considered to right the injustice they have suffered.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rita said...

A challanging theme! That would be a diffuclt one for me. I'm sure people will put their thinking caps on like you did. :)

Meggymay said...

Its a super idea to piece random book pages together to create this super inspiration page. I wonder if anyone will try to read it, an interesting story could evolve. Fantastic inspiration for this months theme.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

sirkkis said...

A creative and fun take on the language theme. I checked mine mother language, but it's not there, and it's very understandable as it's so rare. We are bilingual country: Finnish and Swedish have to study. Actually I've studied six of languages, but sure not speak all of them...
I like your take on the theme, Elizabeth.
Have a wonderful May, and stay well x

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! Loving all the collaged pieces and how you represented language on your page - perfect 😁. Happy May and I hope you're having a lovely weekend too! Hugs, Jo x

lichazul said...

Great page 👏👏💐 congrats 😊

The Serendipitous Art Therapist said...

Whoa! I love this one so much. I love the added element of sewing the different languages together, there's something really metaphorical about that.

Empire of the Cat said...

What a fantastic page Elizabeth! I'm sorry I'm late, due to illness, but I have worked my way backwards through all the entries and now I am at the end/beginning! Love all your stitched together language blocks. Thanks for joining me for the Language theme at Art Journal Journey this month Elle xx