Saturday, March 27, 2021

My Eiffel Tower Flower

 

This month is winding down, but I'm still finding time for another Single Flower for Sheila, aka Orange Esmeralda's, theme at Art Journal Journey.

I'm tapping into my inner Orange Esmeralda because I love her style so much.  Mine, I must admit, is a poor imitation, but I'm still proud of it.

I was looking for a way to show the name of the plant without drawing undo attention to it.  I originally left room at the top of the flower for the name, but didn't want it being so obvious and "in your face."  That's when I came up with the idea of creating a tag with the name of the plant and the price tag.  It reads: Eiffel Tower Flower, $46.00.

I had an image of the Eiffel Tower on my craft table.  It was upside down.  That's when I came up with the idea.  I even drew it upside down, but that may have been a mistake, since it was quite an undertaking.

Once again, I pulled out my glitter crayons (Crayola brand) and used them to create the flower, the stem, and the vase.  The crayons are quite hard, and the glitter flakes off the waxy crayons.  However, they worked well as resists against the watercolors I used for my background.

For this page, created on 110 lb cardstock, I began by drawing the stem, which was in the shape of the Eiffel Tower.  It was all freehand, which taxed my drawing skills.  Next came the vase, then the flower.  When they were drawn and most of the excess crayon glitter had been brushed away, I added the yellow watercolor.  As you can see, the yellow watercolor was present anywhere the crayon didn't adhere to the page.  Glitter crayons, no matter how expensive they are, are not the best resists.

I used one of my 1 inch squares I got from my friend Sally for the tag.  I cut the square down and turned it into a tag.  I adhered it using a glue dot because I wanted it to appear to hang on the vase.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today.  We are truly grateful you stopped by.  We would also like to see you at Art Journal Journey where you still have time to create your own Single Flower.  I know Sheila would love to see your art, as would Bleubeard and I.


17 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Laurie is right - ingenious AND clever.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your flower is fascinating, well done! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I love this! Next visit by my dentist, who has a huge pic of that tower in front where I sit I´ll remember this!
Upside down :-)

My name is Erika. said...

That is a fun idea! Isn't it great to see all the variety of single flowers this month? This one is very unique, but works perfectly. It is bright and cheery too. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs-Erika

sheila 77 said...

This a really clever fantasy flower - an upside-down Eiffel Tower flower, haha! It's brilliant, I love it, love the bright colours and the
upside-downness. Also brilliant is the price tag, says what it is (and how much) in a clever way.
Only five more Single Flower days to go and I've enjoyed every one of them.
Love from Sheila

Olde Dame Holly said...

I just love everything about your Eiffel Tower flower! I especially love the clever way you titled it on the sale tag!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this is fabulous! I agree very cleaver.

Annie said...

What clever inspiration you had for this fun flower! I’ve got to spend a little more time looking around me to see what inspires. I’m in the club with you for taxing drawing skills. I don’t think I’ve ever seen glitter crayons. I need to get out more, obviously. Talk about clever, that identifying price tag! Love that! I hadn’t realized Eiffel Tower Flowers were so costly. Definitely a special gift for the special someone.

CJ Kennedy said...

Too fun! Love the bright colors, too

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fun, this really made me smile! The bright colours look so happy too 😁. I hope you're having a lovely weekend! Hugs, Jo x

kat said...

This has such sunshine in it, bright and happy, it makes me smile!

aussie aNNie said...

Very cleverly designed. x

Jeanie said...

It really works that way! I'd never have thought of it!

nwilliams6 said...

Super fun idea! I really would cost about that much as well! Happy and fun! Hugz

Divers and Sundry said...

Cool!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Creative, clever, colourful :)

All the best Jan

Rita said...

UNique idea...and colorful! :)