Sunday, March 28, 2021

Monday Murals: Palm Sunday Icon

 

It's Sunday, which means it's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.  

Today is Palm Sunday in the Christian religion.  It always falls on the Sunday before Easter.  It is also the final week of Lent.

Connie's Mexican Cafe has been around for a long time, from what I could learn.  It doesn't seem to be affected by the same fate as many restaurants have in my city.

On the side of their building, I found another religious icon of the Virgin I now know, thanks to Barbara, is called Our Lady of Guadalupe.  Apparently the flowers that surround it are changed with the seasons.  You can learn more about this incredibly important icon here or here or here where the symbols are explained in depth.

This painting is mounted on the north wall of the parking lot at Connie's, located at 2227 North Broadway, Wichita, Kansas (USA).  The artist is unknown.
 
If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

This will be my final mural until April 25.  For 22 days in April, beginning with April 1 and leading up to Earth Day, I recycle, reuse, reduce, rethink, re-invent, redesign, re-craft, recover, restore, rebuild, revamp, reclaim, and/or re-purpose something to keep it out of the landfill.  I hope you will stop by and see what I have planned.  Most of these will be very simple crafts that anyone can make.  After all, if I can make it, so can you.

 

19 thoughtful remarks:

Linda said...

I like the lady of Guadalupe and the fact that someone changes the flowers.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful mural. Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Love that someone changes her flowers.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful. The flowers steal "the show", though. Such a beautiful gesture.

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful find and love the addition of the flowers

DVArtist said...

You find the best murals and this one has the added touch of flowers. Have a nice Sunday.

Birgit said...

A great mural and fitting for Palm Sunday. I will go and read about it. Love that they change the flowers.

Olde Dame Holly said...

We have many tile murals of OLOG here, on the walls of houses, in restaurants, in roadside shrines, and of course in the churches. We also have a mini representation of the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in a courtyard in Old Mesilla!

Tom said...

...a lovely mural for Easter Week. I hope that you are enjoying your day.

Nancy said...

Lovely- and the flowers add a lot.

Let's Art Journal said...

Loving the neon sign and the mural is so beautiful, such a great idea to change the flowers with the seasons too 😁. Happy Sunday and wishing you a great new week! Hugs, Jo x

s.c said...

It looks a bit naive but very likeable.

Sami said...

Nice find Elizabeth. So nice that the flowers around the mural get changed regularly.
Thanks for contributing to Monday Murals.
Will see you back in May once you are finished with the Recycling posts.

My name is Erika. said...

I like the little angel holding her up. That is very clever and different. I'm a bit late catching up, but better late than never!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I love all images of OLOG!!
Looking forward to your Earth Days posts.

Alice said...

Perfect mural for Easter week, It's always good to see the faithful expressing their feelings. Someone has their heart into this by changing the flowers

Divers and Sundry said...

I love that the flowers are changed seasonally.

Jeanie said...

I like that one very much. I hope you have a wonderful Easter week - and are feeling much improved, too!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a nice mural.
Wishing you a happy Easter Week.

All the best Jan