Monday, February 1, 2021

It's HEAVY, baby! Heavy metal, that is!

 

Today we welcome one of our own, our dear talented Valerie, who is hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  Her theme is Heavy Metal

I'm exploring the Legend of the Golden Apple.

Some believe Golden Apples are really referring to oranges or tomatoes, unknown in ancient times.

In case you can't read it, the legend
Appears in Greek and Irish Mythology, fairy tales, and modern literature.
Recurring Golden Apple themes depict a hero who searches for 

and finds the apples hidden by some monster or bad guy.

One Golden Apple is shown here.

Since this is the first of the month, I wanted to document the date, which I did in gold paint.

For this page, I started by painting metallic green paint on watercolor paper.  Once dry, I computer generated the words, then proceeded to paint them with fluid acrylic gold paint.  I didn't realize it would cover so well, so I removed a lot of the paint with a wet wipe so the words could show through.  Next, I painted a wood mounted rubber stamp with the same fluid acrylic paint that I thinned with a small amount of water.  I stamped it three times.  Finally, I used my paint brush to create the date.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  Valerie, Chris, Erika, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Heavy Metal.  
 
We welcome art journal pages that meet the size requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages, and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  


18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, Elizabeth, this is a fantastic age, Love the gold apples and the Legend, which I have not heard before. Really fabulous! Good Lück with your eye, take care! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Those golden apples are simply gorgeous.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful with golden apple jorunal page!Fantastic!
Have a good day, hugs Elke

nwilliams6 said...

Love the apple image and the use of metalic paints. Very fun page for the heavy metal theme! Happy First of the Month!

Meggymay said...

Its been a while since I last called in, but I have been reading your posts and seeing your fantastic art pages and photos.
I love the golden apples and the interesting back story that you were thinking about while you created this page. Its a super new AJJ theme .
Yvonne

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful golden apples, but beware, they sometimes carry a hefty consequence to own them.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this metallic page with your beautiful golden apples! I hope you are getting on OK! Hugs, Chrisxx

Karen said...

Great page & legend ~ Enjoy the week ahead!

Mae Travels said...

You made me think of all the mythology of oranges. I love the legend of the Hesperides, the three girls who guarded the mystical apple (orange) tree that Gaea, goddess of the Earth, had given to Hera at her marriage to Zeus.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Love the golden apples!

My name is Erika. said...

I love your golden apple. I have never heard of this before, but then my knowledge of these ancient times is almost, but not quite, zero. You have beautiful metallics here. This page makes such an interesting take on the new challenge. Should be a fun one. Happy new month. Good luck today. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember that story! This piece shows the inspiration. I love the gold and the color you chose for the background.

Sami said...

The golden apple is quite beautiful Elizabeth.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Cindy McMath said...

Wow! Love this page Elizabeth! The metallic paints are great for the theme and so is your golden apple legend. I also wanted to let you know that your lovely tip-in arrived last week - thank you so much!!

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fabulous page! I love how you shared the legend of the golden Apple and the metallic paints look amazing 😀. Wishing you a Happy February and hope that you are feeling better. Have a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

These are beautiful. The gold paint creates such an ethereal, "legendary" effect. I was so interested in the history of "golden apples." It never occurred to me that they might refer to oranges or some real fruit. One of my favorite references to golden apples is the ending of Yeat's poem, Song of the Wandering Aengus: "And pluck till time and times are done, the silver apples of the moon, the golden apples of the sun." Beautiful project.

Jeanie said...

I love the texture on this and the colors. The apples are especially nice, Elizabeth.