Friday, February 12, 2021

Gong Hei Fat Choy

 

This is a scheduled post.  Please see here why I may not be around to visit.

Happy New Year!  Chinese New Year, that is.  It is also known as the Lunar New Year or Spring Festival.

This is the longest Chinese holiday.  The Spring Festival is technically 15 days, but celebrations start on New Year’s Eve, thus making it 16 days of partying, worshiping, and eating.

This is the year of the Ox.  Of the 12 Zodiac animals, this is the second.  Legend has it that the Jade Emperor was throwing a party and wanted to select 12 animals to be his palace guards.  He preferred the Ox to be the first for its honesty and diligence, but the animal order would be decided by the order in which they arrived to his party.  The Ox was about to be the first to arrive, but Rat tricked Ox into giving him a ride.  Just before they arrived, Rat jumped down and landed ahead of Ox. Thus, Ox became the second animal in the Chinese Zodiac.
 
Each Zodiac animal also has several other characteristics.  These include five elements (metal, water, wood, fire, earth), five colors (white, yellow, green, red, blue),
 
and gender (Yin: feminine and negative; Yang: masculine and positive).  

Therefore, this is the year of the white, metal, female Ox.  And since there is metal as part of this year's animal, I am also joining Valerie, who is hosting Art Journal Journey this month

with her Heavy Metal theme.
 
The lantern festival is held on the final day of the new year.  This year, it is February 26. The general belief is that the lantern festival began more than 2000 years ago in the Western Han dynasty.  

Throughout history, countless variations of lanterns have been created. Today they can be small globes that fit in the palm of your hand, or as large as a parade float.

This is definitely Year 4718 in the Chinese calendar, but my date stamp is incorrect. I have it set for another date and didn't realize it when I used it on this two page spread.

Those of you who are trying to photograph metal, especially gold, know how hard it is to capture the image in photograph.  For this two page spread I created in my Collage Two altered book, most everything other than the computer generated words and Ox, are joss papers, those papers that are often burned during the Spring Festival.  That includes the two zodiacs.  The lanterns are a gift from long ago from my dear friend Cindy.

Thanks so much for joining me today as we celebrate the start of Chinese New Year.  Xin nian kuai le (literally meaning Happy New Year) or gong hei fat choy for those living in Hong Kong and Canton regions, or gong xi fa cai for those living in Mandarin regions, or happy Chinese new year for those living in the States and other English speaking countries.  I hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey


 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh. I didn´t know we are negative, how mean.
What a mean coincidence with Corinna, too! But the ox is cute.
Great work.
Here we don´t celebrate this, but last time in Perth I nearly dumped my cam as a dragon had some BUHHH!-fun with me, LOL.

Hope you´re recovering soon. Best wishes and hugs from here...

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal spread Elizabeth, glad you were able to do something, I know it's hard for you just now! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Just lovely - and our city centre had some decorations to celebrate the Year of the Ox which I will post later.
Look after yourself. Please.

Mae Travels said...

I’ve been reading about all the delicious food that is traditional for Chinese New Year, though I’m not cooking any of it myself. Your way of celebrating with collages is very cool.

I hope your recovery is going well.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

Happy New Year, Elizabeth. I hope you are healing well.

peggy gatto said...

Thanks for the history and the lovely paper collage!!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this is a really nice piece Elizabeth and I enjoyed reading the story about the OX

I do hope you're feeling 1000000000000000000000 purrcent better :) ♥♥♥

anda happee heartz day oh lovez two all ♥♥♥

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful pages! Such a wonderful design and the gold looks amazing 😁. Take care and get well soon! Hugs, Jo x

Karen said...

Terrific pages ~ I didn't know all this history ~ Very interesting indeed! Heal quickly my friend!

My name is Erika. said...

You used some fabulous pieces to make this page. Love the gold and the joss paper. I didn't realize the year it was. I wonder what event was year 1. Hope you're eye is doing better today.

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful spread and interesting history. Take care

Rita said...

What a pretty page spread. Love the colors and the gold. :)

nwilliams6 said...

Very cool creation and very informative. I love when you give all these fun details in your posts and creations. Some beautiful use of gold!

Hope you are feeling better!!!

Cindy McMath said...

Beautiful pages - happy new year!

craftytrog said...

It's a gorgeous page for Chinese New Year Elizabeth.
I hope your recovery is going well.
Take care of yourself,
Alison xxx

Divers and Sundry said...

This lovely piece reminds me how much I miss Chinese buffet lunches :( I need to learn how to cook Chinese food.

sirkkis said...

A festive well done AJJ page.
Have a happy and healthy week ahead xx