Wednesday, January 6, 2021

These are a few of my favorite things

  

Welcome to 12th Night, everyone.  Technically, today is Epiphany, but since it's midnight here, I'm calling this the 12th night.  I'll also wish you a joyous Epiphany, which some know as Three Kings Day.

Erika, who many of you know as BioArtGal is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Favorite Things.

As my friend Jeanie would say, "Cue the music."

Raindrops on roses,

and whiskers on kittens.

Bright copper kettles

And warm woolen mittens.

Brown paper packages
Tied up with string,
 
These are a few of my favorite things.

I started this in my large Coll-ah-ge Two altered book, but didn't realize how much room the images were going to take, so I had to continue the poem on the left side of the page.
 
I began by laying down pale green house paint in lieu of gesso.  I then added each of the images.  The rose came from an old calendar, the cats were stamped using black dye ink, the kettles came from a cooking book, the mittens were cut from a security envelope, and the package was cut from a piece of corrugated cardboard, then tied in wax covered thread.
 
Bleubeard and I are thrilled you chose to visit us today, and we would love to also see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Favorite Things.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page and illustrations, I will be singing that song all day! Stay safe and well, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I love this work! And I wish for rain - there is really still a rose in the neighbor´s garden!

Elephant's Child said...

Beautifully illustrated - and I ALWAYS wish for raindrops. We so rarely have enough here.

Barbara said...

I’m always impressed with our imagination, Elizabeth! Who, but you, would have thought to cut woolen mittens from the print on a security envelope? It’s a very successful depiction! Thanks for your visit to my video post, this trail camera is so much fun!

nanskidrewski said...

So cute. Love that 🎵song. Great idea for the mittens too. Happy little Christmas.

My name is Erika. said...

I love the nod to the song my dear. You used some cool images. Like the package tied up with string and those kitties and mittens. I like how these all work for you personally. You could show your copper kitchen pieces with this post for sure. Thanks for this post! Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I especially like the "tied up with string" image.

DVArtist said...

This is very nice. I like the brown packages. I answered your question on my blog but will here as well. That mural, in Old Town, Florence, is still there. Ya know the fish one. Have a truly beautiful day.

Mae Travels said...

When I saw that theme, I wondered if people would illustrate the song, as you did!

be well and safe... mae at mae food.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Loved your page and the illustrations.
Returning your wish for a joyous Epiphany.

All the best Jan

aussie aNNie said...

BEAUTIFUL, lovely and refreshing post. xx

Jeanie said...

What a fun take on a song! I like that so much -- nice composition and melding of images!

Rita said...

OH cute! Now I have that song in my head--ear worm--LOL! :)

WendyK said...

A great idea to use that song to illustrate the theme. Some lovely images.
Hugs Wendy

nwilliams6 said...

Very fun how you stayed exactly with the words and not venture off like I did and I love your cool images you used to illustrate the song. Super pages, Elizabeth. Fun too. Hugz

RO said...

These are great favorite things and perfect for the season. Love your artwork, and makes me want to go out to grab some mittens!(lol) Sending lots and lots of hugs, RO

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page Elizabeth, and I'm singing!
Alison xx

Neet said...

Lovely pages Elizabeth, such a great illustration of that song that is now going around in my head.
This fits in so well with Erika's theme for this month - I am sure we all have lots of favourite things.
Hugs, Neet xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I sing that song every time I go to AJJ at the moment ! Love this, especially those bright copper kettles! Hugs, Chrisx