Thursday, January 28, 2021

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Mysterious and Dark

 

It's Thursday, so that means it's time to show my contribution to Rain's weekly Thursday Art Date.  This week the theme is Mysterious and Dark.

I got literal with DARK.

Although the bulk of these photos were taken with my old worthless camera, I'm still sharing them.

This was a tea time cup candle.

Here they are put together in a semi-heart shape, along with the heart cup, too.  This was for an old T Tuesday post.

This was another T Tuesday post, where the lights were out.  You can see my battery powered OTT full spectrum light and my grungy distorted Wichita State Shockers mug.

This is mysterious and dark fabric I dyed one year.  I used it for the backs of some of my art quiltlets.

Many T Tuesday readers remember when I was without electricity and had to drink some non-alcoholic Kahlua coffee to stave off unbelievable headaches I get when I have caffeine (my drug of choice) withdrawals.

Several years in a row, my friend Patty S. and I participated in Earth Hour, where for one hour

we powered down our electronics and only kept essential power like my  refrigerator plugged in.  If there's one thing I have plenty of, it's candles.

I even created a mandala in the dark.  Yes, those are real sunflowers and tootsie pops
 
that are paired with tea light candles.

And for my FINAL entry,

many of you saw this recently earlier this month when I showed it at Art Journal Journey using Erika's theme Favorite Things.

All photos taken by me, mandala created by me, and art created by me.  Bleubeard claims the dark is for sleeping so he doesn't remember most of these events.

Thank you ever so much for stopping by.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  I will not be joining in next month because the prompts deal with films.  Since I don't draw or sketch (nor do I care to learn, either), I have nothing to offer.  I don't watch many movies, so I will pass on February, but will visit, anyway.  I'll be back to play on March 4.  Please join me for the last time this month at Rain's Thursday Art Date.
 
 

27 thoughtful remarks:

Kokopelli said...

Love your candle art! But maybe Bleubeard is right, too. How often do you loose power? Over here it is a very rare event these days, but I can remember it, when I was a kid. Mom always kept candles and matches in the same space and I still do that. Have a great day!

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous art and love the candles inspiring my need to light some up... love the post. xx

Elephant's Child said...

Love your take on Rain's prompt. I am particularly drawn to the material.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Lovely art work, you covered the theme really well too with the photos, I like the Earth Day mandala.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I love your candle photos, I still have a lot of candles because of a power failure is an old habit, but it's also very nice. I love the mandala, I am happy to see it!
Your material goes perfectly with the topic and your journal page is beautiful!
Much is lost in the dark but you have freshened it up again!
Have a good time and take care of yourself, hugs Elke

Iris Flavia said...

Ingo would not let you into our home with all those candles, LOL!
I have not one - we have real wood in every room but kitchen, toilet and bathroom and with a clumsy person like me. uhhhh, danger.
The more I love to see yours.
Oh, I´m lying. A friend once gave me a Christmas candle. We put it on the kitchen table (wood!!!) and burned down each day one day. Was the year my Mum died.

Love your fabric, really... dark!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful art and photos! It's mysterious and dark here, too, and raining non stop! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Sandra Cox said...

That mandala is exquisite. How creative.

Karen said...

I love all the candles ~ and the Kahlua sounds yummy! I've never heard of that flavor :) Enjoy the weekend ahead ~

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful photos and artwork.

Mae Travels said...

Taking photos of candles burning in darkness is a very interesting challenge. Light and darkness fascinated some of the early photographers of the 20th century, like Man Ray and André Kertész, who did some great art photos.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Cathy Kennedy said...

Bleubeard is right the dark is for sleeping. :) I love candles but don't have any for burning in our house except for birthday candles. I told DH when we move I want a screened in porch where I can put candles to burn in the evening. He doesn't like candles that burn indoors because the wax coats electronics. It's a good thing I'm not a huge fan of candles. I enjoyed your creations, especially the tootsie pop mandala display. Now, I want a tootsie pop!

Curious as a Cathy

Christine said...

Lovely dark art and photos Elizabeth.

RO said...

What cool things to do with candles to turn them into art! I've never heard of Earth Hour. That's a great way to unplug and just think or read. I kind of like trying that 2-3 times a week. Thanks for that info. That Kaluaha Coffee drink looks pretty yummy too, but I know you'd rather have your own roasted blend. Hugs and hope you're doing well. RO

CJ Kennedy said...

Clever interpretation of the theme. I especially like the Tootsie Pop sunflower.

Jeanie said...

I like the idea of Earth Hour. And your mandala is exquisite -- some very beautiful images here.

I can relate to the caffeine head. I have cut down caffeine by about 75 percent since my afib diagnosis and it does drag you down a bit in the head!

LA Paylor said...

green stamps!!! I remember sitting at the table studiously gluing those stamps into books

Birgit said...

Love the lady in a sultry dance pose. Hubby and I always take part in Earth Day and candles come out to play. I will have to check out the movie theme for Feb. Maybe you can o out of the box. I love that dark background you made and thought of silent films which involved film, heavy eye makeup(to protect them from "Klieg eyes), music since many stars would have some of their favourite music played so they could do a scene. Ravens were often in films from Hitchcock to It's a Wonderful Life.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this is wonderful candle art especially with the tooties pops.

My name is Erika. said...

You did get dark and mysterious in this post. And I love the Mandela. That is so cool and what a great idea. And good for you to have those chocolate tootsie pops. If I have a tootsie pop, I'll go for chocolate and they would taste really good right now. Hope you've had a good Thursday. Hugs-Erika

Ella said...

I also like karsen, but I never thought I could turn it into a candle art! Too bad they are not that healthy! Have a nice day and take care of yourself!

Tom said...

...I love the glow of your candle light, keep the your light shining bright.

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :) Oh I love all of the candles!!! What a great idea, a Tootsie Pop mandala! Love it! :) And you were right, that little pep talk was intended for you lol...but I understand! I hope you still drop by and I'll be dropping by here to say hello!! :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I love all the candles and the variety of your varied interpretations of the theme.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your dark and mysterious is too pretty to be scary, so that is good news that beauty can come out of darkness. Ah and caffeine withdrawal ... how many times I have gone through that (I resort to a minimal dose of Excedrin ,which works) and yet, I always find my way back to that comforting cup of coffee ... addicted, you think? I love you showing your mysterious side along with S&H Green stamps ... still trying to put that one together :) As always you put together a wonderfully mysterious post, Elizabeth ... but where is Bleubeard? What can be more mysterious than a cat, especially a Russian Blue cat ? :) So I am already working on next weeks post while trying to catch up with my comments ... now that is mysterious, Ha! See you in a few days ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

NatureFootstep said...

thanks for the reminder. I have a bottle with Kahlua, but checkig it I see it is almost empty. :( Have to buy a new one. :)

Love your mandala setting :) Great creative idea and I love it!
Take care!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Loving your dark photos even though some of them are on days that you would perhaps rather forget! Hugs, Chrisx