Saturday, January 9, 2021

Asian beauty

 

I'm back joining Erika, who many of you know as BioArtGal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Favorite Things

 It's time to share more of my favorite things.

I've always been drawn to Asia and would love to visit any Asian country someday.
 
I also love to collect fortunes from fortune cookies.   Some, like these I chose, make perfect sense, while others I have, do not.

I am also drawn to the architecture and all the red that is often displayed in many Asian countries.
 
What impresses me about Asia is there are so many different styles.  Each country has its own style, definitely Asian, 

but still quite different and recognizable.
 
For this page, I started by laying down three colors of green and black.  I first wiped the colors in one direction, then at a 90 degree angle in order to try to get a linen look to the background.  Next, I found images from travel magazines that focused on Japan, China, and South Korea.  Added to the mix were three fortunes.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you dropped by today, and we would love to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Favorite Things.

EDIT: Chris suggested this would also work for Try it on Tuesday's latest theme which is an Uplifting or Positive Quote, so I will join them, too.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you for explaining how you did the background!
In my purse/wallet I still have a note from a fortune cookie: "You´ll stay a very healthy person." (I just bent down and knocked on wood)

I have a Japanese paper-umbrealla right here, my Dad brought it from a journey to Japan. He also brought a wig and kimonos and hence once I had to go as Geisha to school for carnival... all with white-painted face and mini-steps, boy, it was awful, LOL!
I still have a pic where I look very unhappy about that (I was maybe 8).
Thank you for the memories!

Cindy McMath said...

Beautiful page Elizabeth! You know I too love Asian themed art. I was lucky enough to travel to Taiwan for about 10 days around 12 years ago - it was an amazing experience although the heat and humidity was something else! I am amazed by your snow pictures and feel very fortunate for my rainy days. And last but not least, I think we all know that the people at the Capitol don’t represent the majority of the US people. Xo

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal page, Asian culture is always fascinating. I have a fortune cookie on my tablet here from New Year, but haven't opened it yet. Have a great weekend, stay safe, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Wonderful thoughts and images - and a gorgeous journal page.

DVArtist said...

This is truly beautiful. I too am drawn to the Asian culture and had the unique opportunity to go to Japan on the hospitality of the Toho Bead Co. I was so taken with the life there that had I been single I would have moved there. LOL Have a wonderful day.

CJ Kennedy said...

A beautiful travelogue.

Mae Travels said...

Japan is a totally fascinating place, especially the way they have extended Western culture to fit their own preferences, while retaining many things from the past. Japanese food is a world in itself.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great favorite things page my friend. Asian architecture is fascinating to me also in how different it is from our architectural customs. And I read Mae's comment because it was just above the comment box, and she is right about how they added western culture but kept their own with it. I would like to go back to Asia sometime too. It is nice to dream about. Love your page and thanks for the inspiration. Hugs-Erika

pearshapedcrafting said...

A beautiful page! Asian architecture is so decorative! I love how you added the fortune cookie sayings here to your fabulous background that I thought at first was denim! This page would fit our 'Positive Quote' theme at TIOT too if you would like to join us! Hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the colors you chose for this. I agree about the differences in style. Nice!

Jeanie said...

This is lovely and I agree about the colors. They're beautiful. I think you would love Japan. It's an extremely civilized country and filled with such history!

Rita said...

Dagan and Leah went to Japan with Ian when he was about 9 months old and they loved it so much that they want to go back one day again.
Pretty page. Love the red building. :)

My name is Erika. said...

I missed saying Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. Those quotes are perfect! 😀👍❤️

pearshapedcrafting said...

Thanks for sharing this at Try It On Tuesday, hugs,Chrisx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Beautiful journal page!
Take care and have a good start to the week, hug Elke

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is lovely, and the fortunes are great. I especially like the one about an old friend.

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Elizabeth! I hope you get your wish to visit Asia someday.
Alison xox

Satta Matka said...

This is one awesome blog. Really thank you! Want more.
matka

Sonar Appliances said...

Thanks for wonderful blog! I'm glad you enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the good work! We are Sonar Appliances, manufacturers of kitchen appliances in Delhi. Our range of products, including atta chakki/flour mill machine, cold press oil machine, grinding machine, ro system, and other kitchen appliances is essential for every home.