Saturday, December 12, 2020

The Empire

 

Today you find me joining Tracey of Hotchpotch Creations our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme What is the meaning of?  

My question today is about the meaning of an empire, 

specifically

the British Empire.

I remember my grandmother told me (grandparents raised me from birth) when she was a girl, the saying was

"The sun never sets" on the British Empire.  Apparently at one time, Great Britain ruled more countries, territories, islands, and nations than anyone else in the world.

For this page, which I created in my 7 Continents altered book, I began with a sheet of 110 lb cardstock to which I added three images from England and Scotland.  I computer generated the sentiment and added the definitions from my Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Thanks beyond belief for visiting Bleubeard and me today.  We would love to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on The Meaning Of.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice page, lovely to see the Houses of Parliament. But an empire no more, just a commonwealth, which is better. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

BEAUTIFUL �� STUNNING post full of interests once again. . xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

Your page would make a wonderful travel poster.

Mae Travels said...

"Empire" is a very interesting concept to explore. My recent reading about Indian cuisine would give it a very different meaning than your colorful collage. The British recruited (or maybe forced) Indian labor to settle in Africa, the Caribbean, and elsewhere. As a result, Indian flavors spread throughout the Empire, including to Britain itself. A different meaning. And I'm sure there are many more.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

At one time an empire. SO different now. But a fascinating time.

craftytrog said...

An interesting subject, and a great page Elizabeth! xx

DVArtist said...

What a beautiful piece of art and a great history lesson. My grandma shared cool things also.

Rita said...

Yes, at one time that was true.
You do come up with interesting ideas for pages! :)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Oh this is a very interesting post Elizabeth, I'm very glad that past historic events attached to the empire rule shall never repeat themselves.
Hopefully Big Ben will be sounding his bells again in 2021 after some much needed renovation work began in 2017.. Hugs Tracey xx

sirkkis said...

Informative and well done with historical pictures and words, Elizabeth.
Have a happy festive time.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A fascinating interesting posting with the meaning.
Enjoy the Sunday, hug Elke

My name is Erika. said...

This page makes me want to jump on the plane and take a trip. Love the photos and the idea behind this. Nice page Elizabeth! I've been off the computer this weekend. Taking a break. Hope all has been well with you! Hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

I never knew, this really is a cool meme!
(P.S.... I did not join with my "da"-post cause to me this was not art and the rules are quite strict at Tracey´s - but I had fun finding out about the word!).

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember the saying, but my how things have changed in a relatively short period of time. There are lessons for us there...