Saturday, December 19, 2020

Phrenology: it's all in your head

 

I'm once again joining Tracey of Hotchpotch Creations, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with her theme What is the meaning of

I'm trying to decide if it's all in your head.

I feel sorry for this young lady.

She has a lot going on that doesn't look (or sound) good.
I wonder if she believes it's all in her head.

Is there something she can do?
Maybe she'll turn to phrenology.  It's all the rage.
Phrenology is a pseudoscience.  According to Britannica:
The principles upon which phrenology was based were five: (1) the brain is the organ of the mind; (2) human mental powers can be analyzed into a definite number of independent faculties; (3) these faculties are innate, and each has its seat in a definite region of the surface of the brain; (4) the size of each such region is the measure of the degree to which the faculty seated in it forms a constituent element in the character of the individual; and (5) the correspondence between the outer surface of the skull and the contour of the brain-surface beneath is sufficiently close to enable the observer to recognize the relative sizes of these several organs by the examination of the outer surface of the head.
No real scientist believes the shape of the bumps on your head predict your mental abilities.
There are some really creative takes on phrenology, though, like how to disect this craft brain.

There's also the traditional frontal view.

For this spread on Phrenology, I started with my new watercolor journal that was given to me.  Originally, I was removing pages from it, but have now decided to leave them in this journal. The left image came from a magazine.  I cut out and overlaid the words "All in your head."  I added the words "What is the meaning." 
 
For the right side, I found another image in an old psychology book on pseudoscience.  To it, I added the craft head and the traditional frontal view I found on the internet.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled you chose to visit us today, and we would love to also see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on The Meaning Of


17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a fun page and something different! I like it. I wish I knew what's going on in my head just now....Have a great day, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

It's very true what you describe with your images and words. Impressive presentation and message, Elizabeth.
Have a wonderful weekend xx

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting facts ... and interpretation!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Very creative! Sometimes I wish I knew what was going on in my head!

aussie aNNie said...

It's always all in my head, it's full of everything at the moment, so a great informative post. xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

I think she's wearing a crown. I like it!

Jeanie said...

This is a great page. I'd never heard that term till watching "Victoria" and learned that Victoria and Albert had a phrenologist examing their oldest, who became Edward VII. It wasn't a good appointment.

craftytrog said...

Brilliant! I really love this spread Elizabeth, great images!
Happy weekend,
Alison xx

Empire of the Cat said...

Love this one Elizabeth! There is definitely too much unnecessary stuff in my head right now that I would happily get rid of and replace with craft brain! Hope you and Bleubeard have a lovely festive season with lots of toys and cat treats!

Divers and Sundry said...

What a fun play on words!

DVArtist said...

I really like this. It speaks to me. All of these things and more, when I was sick with lupus I was told, "It's all in your head, snap out of it."

Rita said...

I always thought that was such a strange concept. Nice page, though. :)

My name is Erika. said...

The crafty phrenology head made me smile. very cool. I am glad to see I use so much of my brain. Isn't that what they say geniuses actually do? use more of their brains than the average person? NOT talking about myself however. (With using so much of the crafty brain that is.) Nice spread. You found some very interesting images. I sure hope the girl on the left side doesn't have all those issues. Like you, I feel bad for her if she does. Hope your weekend is going well. Hugs-Erika

Dianne said...

Love this layout!! A bit horrifying that some people actually believed this, but the illustrations are awesome.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A wonderful job and your creation Hugs Elke is interesting, hugs Elke

nwilliams6 said...

Very cool and informative!!!! Love this!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I love the craft head, it feels akin to my own. Poor girl with her worry and woes, i'm not surprised it's ready to explode, she definitely needs a crafty day hee hee.. You'll be able to refer back to she and her Sister's now she's safely fixed in your journal. Hugs Tracey xx