Saturday, December 5, 2020

Abstract art

 

I'm back with another journal page for Tracey of Hotchpotch Creations our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme What is the meaning of

This is loosely similar

to Susan Nethercote's abstract from the Life Books Taster Series.
 
Did I not mention "loosely?"  I'm asking "What is the meaning
 
of abstract art?"

According to the dictionary, abstract art is:
A trend in painting and sculpture in the twentieth century. Abstract art seeks to break away from traditional representation of physical objects. It explores the relationships of forms and colors, whereas more traditional art represents the world in recognizable images.

Personally, I believe I've created much better abstract art than this.  

This reminds me of a heart.

For this page, I began with 110 lb cardstock because I have very limited quantities of watercolor paper, which is much more expensive.  I expected the cardstock to buckle and pill due to the amount of water I would be adding to create this entry. Although Nethercote used various shades, hues, and tones of the same color green, I initially tried to lighten my green with a bit of yellow watercolor.  In the end, I got mostly a combination of yellow and green.  Still, I was happy with how this turned out.  Even though it's definitely not my favorite abstract, I'm glad I attempted it.
 
Thanks so very much for visiting Bleubeard and me today, and we would love to also see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on The Meaning Of
 


21 thoughtful remarks:

craftytrog said...

Lovely colours and patterns Elizabeth, and interesting to read the definition of abstract.
Have a great weekend,
Alison xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the gorgeous, spring-like colours, wonderful piece. If you get to my blog before I do in the next days, could you perhaps link for me to AJJ ot TSFT? I have to work with my telephone and it's hard, or my fingers are too big! Thanks! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Happy colors! And I like the "branches"... oh, wait, it´s abstract!!!
I think I´ll join you on this meme/project, I found a good one "meaning".
I hope Thursday is still OK? The rules are strict, no idea if I can make that, though.

Barbara said...

Lol, I enjoyed Iris’ comment about seeing branches, but then catching herself for seeing something real instead of enjoying it as an abstract. It made me realize that could be my problem with not being able to create a satisfying abstract. I am always wanting to see *something* instead. For example, I do see a face in this one. But then I see faces in everything!

Barbara said...

PS...the face I see is this: two eyes halfway down (one green and the other yellow), a “semblance “ of a green nose under the eyes, then a very small set of green lips at the bottom. 🙄

My name is Erika. said...

I really like this page. I tend not to be wildly abstract when it comes to art, so I saw birds flying at sunset. I loved how you explained what abstract art is, form and color. Yes. That says a lot. I think I need to look at abstract art more. Maybe a good self challenge for 2021. I am off to check out yesterday's post as I was feeling really achy yesterday-not covid, just this hives. UGH! Have a super weekend. Hugs-Erika

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is lovely.

Mae Travels said...

"Meaning" is a loaded word in this context. The question in a way is a challenge to the artists' process of _abstracting_ a representation of visions or images they maybe see in their minds' eye. Would you ask for the "meaning" of a Greek statue? Or a painting by Renoir? Sort of like Archibald MacLeish's statement "a poem should not mean but be."

Sorry to get pontifical... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! Loving the abstract design and beautiful fresh colours 😁. Take care and Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

I like that abstract art _is_ something without being a representation _of_ something. It is enough in itself :)

CJ Kennedy said...

I think your abstract looks like a heart so very fitting for your abstract art piece.

Sandra Cox said...

I love this and the way it turned out. It reminds me of a heart too!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you included the definition. I love the colors you chose. Sometmes the meaning is to make someone feel -- I feel happy.

aussie aNNie said...

Your abstract art is fabulous....love the colours of this .... big hugs. xx

DVArtist said...

You know me, I am abstract all the way. This to me checks all the boxes. Color that is bright and bold, shape that distorts but is contained. I love this piece.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Abstract art is a full workout for the mind, body and soul. I love it gives us permission to explore and create. Those colours are extremely positive Elizabeth like a burst of nature upon the page. Fabulous!! xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's a fabulous piece of abstract art Elizabeth. The colours say Spring but the black looks a bit sinister....Ooooer!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

t's just beautiful this way with this abstract painting, this journal page was great!Hugs Elke

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely colours here :)

All the best Jan

nwilliams6 said...

I love your literal interpretations of this month's theme, Elizabeth! This is very fun and creative. I looked at it a long time and could get little hints of things from it. Finally decided it might could be some cotton candy that got dropped in the sticks - that is what would happen at our house with 3 grandsons under 6 - lol. I love this. Hugz

Neet said...

Citrus art - always a winning combination for me. I remember once wanting a white bathroom suite (when coloured ones were all the rage) and I wanted lemon and lie to be the colour theme as I thought it looked so clean and sharp.
I was so sorry we could not see you on Saturday, it would have been lovely to put a face to the person and maybe even sneak a peek at Bleubeard. However, it was lovely of you to join us from so far away and I enjoyed every minute of it although I must admit I was very quiet and not myself. Some big characters in there, especially on the Saturday morning.
Hugs, Neet xx