Monday, October 26, 2020

Clinging Birds

 

Since I have a few hours between Monday Murals and T Time, I thought I would share another entry with Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey and her theme which is Hold the Line.

I call this one Clinging Birds.

Perhaps you can see how I came up with the name.

These woodpeckers certainly cling to whatever tree they are pecking into.

It's hard to get a good photo, though, because the woodpeckers are packing tape transfers.

The purpose was to show the paint through the back.

I think I accomplished that.  

It's obvious you can see the paint behind and through the bird tape transfer.

However, it makes it extremely difficult to photograph.
 
I had a hard time getting this in focus, too.
 
Perhaps I should focus on the sewing, instead.

I used variegated thread that I hoped picked up the colors of the paint.  I hope you can also see where I spritzed my handmade shimmering mists.

For this page, I started with a sheet of 110 lb. cardstock to which I painted strips of red and black.  I got a bit bored with the strips, so added some purple in areas where I intended to place the tape transfers.  I also spritzed some handmade shimmering mists on the top and bottom of the page.  I had to position the birds in just the right spot, because I didn't want black strips of paint under the birds.  However, after I added the birds, I felt something was missing.  I got out my variegated thread in gold, black, and red, and went to town sewing between the lines. 
 
I'm eternally grateful you stopped by today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey.
 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

This is kinda scary! Yesterday Hubby called me over, "be quick!!" - it was a woodpecker!
Sadly he/she must´ve seen my shadow/movement, it took off. But I could see it was black and red!
And now your artwork!
Is Henry playing with us?

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely piece, love the stitching, it adds a lot. Have a good and safe week, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous with the colours and awesome stitches. x

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Monday-this is a great piece-love it

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun piece. The package transfer came out great and I think you did a good job of photographing as I can see the painted background through the image. I also like the zig-zag stitching. Makes me think of the woodpecker pecking at the tree for all the juicy bugs. Have a good day!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

we iz knot seein what we think we iz seein cauz when we thinked we saw what we think thiz iz we scrolled ta de botton.....like de bottom of de blog page !!! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

Karen said...

Wood peckers are pretty cool birds & I like the art piece you created ~

Divers and Sundry said...

Your stitching is always my favorite part. We enjoy watching the woodpeckers here :)

Eileen Bergen said...

Thanks for sharing the secret of how you manged to have the paint show through the woodpecker images. Very clever. Lovely page. I love all the stitching too. Hugs, Eileen

My name is Erika. said...

Nice birds and stripes, or should I say lines! Those lines sure do show through the birds. Nice page. See you soon for T. Hugs-Erika

Lowcarb team member said...

This is very nice and I really like the stitching you've done too, it adds nicely to it.

Stay safe and well.

All the best Jan

Neet said...

I only once have seen a woodpecker in real life - was so excited! Lovely page Elizabeth, great lines for Chris' challenge - you know how much I like the sewing on your work and I do like variegated thread.
Hugs, to all of you
Neet xx

Jeanie said...

You did accomplish that! I love woodpeckers -- today one like this was at my feeder. Lizzie and I were enchanted!

craftytrog said...

A wonderful mixed media page Elizabeth! I love watching the woodpecker that visits our bird feeder, such beautiful birds.
Alison xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! You've done it again! The fabulous sewing was enough, but with these fabulous colours and such a great way of adding these images. Woodpeckers will always remind me of our caravan as we used to have one that arrived almost at the same time everyday in Spring! Thank you so, so much for sharing this great page for my theme at AJJ, Hugs, Chrisx