Thursday, August 27, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Still Life


Today we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Still Life.  I don't draw or even doodle, so I don't have a lot of examples.  What I mostly have will be still life art I have found at my local art museums.

I'm not sure these first two can be called Still Life,


because this is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not sure this could be considered a still life,

or this one, either.

I think I'm getting closer,

even though this Phil Epp painting of clouds may be a bit of a stretch.

Oh wow.  I finally found a couple of still life paintings, but they were mixed in with many more.

I somehow believe others might not think this is a still life.

Although this is an abstract, I truly believe this one is definitely a still life.

And NO ONE can doubt this is a still life.

These leaves on a wall make me think they might be a still life.

I somehow doubt anyone would believe this wasn't a still life.

I had finally found the still life museum pieces I was looking for.

And this one, too.

Now let's switch gears.

I colored and fussy cut these pumpkins for Thanksgiving one year.

I welcomed spring with these tulips in one of my altered books, too.

Those cups of coffee in the lower left of the book page remind me of something Andy Warhol would have painted.

I was auditioning still life on art quiltlets.

I never could decide on a design I truly liked, so this was never made.

Next, I give you a pair of collaged pears, which I believe qualify.

T Stands For Tuesday, the blog hop I host each week has a few opportunities, like this one that honored my Grandmother (who refused to work on a quilt top in the background I purchased at a garage sale, because the points weren't even).

Granted, this may be grasping at straws, but it certainly looks like a still life to me.

And finally, this is my own interpretation of a still life I created for T Stands For Tuesday back in 2011, when I had such a puny camera.

All non-museum art created by me.  All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard was extra loving because he saw how incredibly frustrated I got trying to find anything Still Life for this challenge.

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.


21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your have collated a good selection of art and photos for today. I like the ones you created for TSFT, too. The comment about your grandmother made me smile, my auntie Fanny was very strict with things like that, too! And of course, still life only coffee would be missing something! Have a great day, take care! Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Your "grasping at straws" made me laugh!
A good selection, I didn´t expect it to be called Still Life, the German is Stillleben (yes, we had a spelling reform - stupid, huh? "Back then" it would´ve been Stilleben...
Not a coffee-lover, but I like that page :-)

Elkes Lebensglück said...

These are wonderful still life pictures, whether from the exhibition or your own with the photos.
Did you put together great!
I wish you a happy Thursday, hugs Elke

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful artwork and your post is always of so much interest.

Karen said...

Terrific selections of your works and others ~

Cathy Kennedy said...

Hey...you did alright coming up with 'still life' examples for this week's theme. Pictures of pictures one might consider still in an abstract sort of way, I think or at least I do since you used these examples. So, see you did alright! ;) Your images are inspiring me to doodle more still life pictures, so I will thank you for the ideas and whenever I get around to drawing and sharing then I will try to remember to give you credit. :) Have a doodletastic day, my dear!

Sami said...

Your representation of still life is great and so are lots of other Museum pieces.
I like the quilt, I've made two small ones but nothing so intricate.

Mae Travels said...

Your exploration of the concept of a still life by using a variety of paintings is very enlightening. I thought I knew what a still life was, but now I’m not so confident. Great post!

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Lovely still life Elizabeth!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Well, I'll take a walk through your Museum any day and some of your Still Life pictures are very good, but leave it to me to find something I like in one of the pictures that has nothing to do with the Still life. I love the Tea Pot in the quilt Still Life ... it reminds me of some antique dishware that I have had in the past ... truly unique and beautiful. So you haven't failed me yet. I always enjoy my visits with you and also hearing about your loving BleuBeard. I am still deeply missing my Fonzi cat and his brother still calls for him ... a sad time in our house. So stay safe and be well, Elizabeth. Life is good, but sometimes we have to look for the good in it :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Divers and Sundry said...

I always end up googling definitions lol

I'd love to spend time in that museum.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I think you did a great job Elizabeth with your interpretation of still life....da tabbies wanted me to mention they think the statue is the cat's meow !!!! frankly, I agree :) ☺☺♥♥

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

These are wonderful! Love the leaves on the wall. Your Daisies have great potential, perhaps a revisit?

-Soma

Sandra Cox said...

I especially like that rabbit drawing!
And I love the vibrant colors in your fruit still life.

Rita said...

Love all the art pieces and your still life, too. :)

My name is Erika. said...

I see some great still lives in your post. And I see some fantastic art too. It was a nice armchair visit to a museum this evening. as well as your art and photos too! I think you nailed this theme. Hope it was a good day Elizabeth. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Still life is in the eye of the beholder. You had some great pieces.

craftytrog said...

A wonderful selection of art and a great post Elizabeth! I would definitely struggle with this theme.
Happy Friday!
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

What a good selection of still lifes! Both your originals, which I like very much, and the ones from various other places. I tink you probably sell yourself short on the drawing part but your collage works indeed!

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth :)) You found some really great still life art at that museum! And I love your Andy Warhol coffee mugs! I love your own still life creations too! I love the quilt photo! :)

NatureFootstep said...

giggling, it seems that your main problem was "definition". Not easy really as modern art styles are all mixed up. That said, I enjoyed your post and loved the art.
Take care.