Friday, August 28, 2020

Friday Smiles 386: A return to the Eisenhower Museum


It's Friday, so let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles.  For those of you who don't care for this museum, of all the posts you will see, I think you will like this one the best.  I believe everyone will enjoy today's Smile.

This is where we left off last week.

Ike was home.  However, I want to go back a page and cover what transpired once he was home.

From 1945 through 1948, Ike became the Army Chief of Staff.  In this role, he oversaw the demobilization of the military and the administration of areas no longer under the control of Germany and Japan following their surrender. Ike also revamped the army, bringing it into the Atomic Age.  You might be able to see this in the center of the above photo.

After he became president of Columbia University in 1948 (you can see him in his cap and gown to the center left in the photo above), he and Mamie purchased a farm in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  It was the first home they had ever owned.

In 1948, Ike retired from active service.  It was at that time, he wrote Crusade in Europe.  While serving as President of Columbia University, in December Ike became a military consultant to the first Secretary of Defense.

In 1949, Ike served informally as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under the newly created defense department.

The Korean War started in June, 1950.  In December of that year, and at the request of President Truman and the 12 NATO nations, Ike accepted the position of Supreme Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).  Ike's duties as commander of NATO, and Mamie's as his hostess at a villa near Paris, delayed work on their dream home in Gettysburg, which they finally completed in 1955.  You might be able to see him taking command of NATO in the center of the above photo, although there's lots of interference due to the glass walls.

Ike left for NATO headquarters in Paris in January, 1951.  He served there through June, 1952, when, after finally being persuaded, he resigned to return to the United States to campaign for the presidency.

Ike campaign signs, buttons, banners, and memorabilia are shown here.


Ike was a good campaigner because he was so well known on the world stage, but Mamie was the real campaigner.  She got more enjoyment out of it than Ike did.


After Ike won the presidency, he resigned his commission as General of the Army.

Ike championed peace.

He called it waging peace.


A quote by Ike above the globe reads: "Freedom must defend itself with courage, with care, with force, and with fairness."  (that sounds like something I might actually write)

Now it's time to leave the campaign trail and move into the White House.

Once in the White House, Mamie was a gracious host.  She was also quite frugal in her spending.



Mamie had her own style.  She had Toile made for the curtains and bedspread in her Gettysburg home.

It included her favorite color palette of pink and green.  All the important places they had lived were included in the fabric.  At Ike's request, the Denver Doud home where they were married was included in the fabric. She liked the material so much, she even had a dress made from the same fabric.

The "Mamie Look" included a full-skirted dress, charm bracelets, pearls, little hats, and bobbed hair with curly bangs.

Every year she was in the White House, she was one the 12 best-dressed women in the country.


Mamie had a fondness for a specific shade of pink, often called "First Lady" or "Mamie" pink. Now we know why there was all that pink clothing, housewares, and bathrooms that came out of the 1950s.

You can read about how Mamie enhanced the historic collections of the White House, like the china collection shown in the photo.

It's amazing the amount of presidential china she collected.


I really liked the design.

It's amazing the various pieces that were saved and donated.

Jewelry, matching purses,

bangle bracelets,


and matching gloves

were part of Mamie's day to day items she wore.


Imagine being hostess to a nation.  Mamie reinstated the White House Egg Roll and insisted that it be desegregated.

The Eisenhower White House was noted for its elegant, formal entertaining.  They hosted events for more heads of state from all over the world than any presidential couple before them.  An evening at the White House with Ike and Mamie was memorable, marked by high style, lavish entertaining, and warm hospitality.

After she and Ike left the White House, they retired to the farm in Gettysburg, where she lived, even after Ike died.

She is buried next to her husband at the chapel on the museum grounds, along with their son "Icky."

There will be no extra smiles today, because everyone should smile at least once in this post.  My favorite laugh was when I read about the pink bathrooms that sprung up in nearly every mid-century modern home.  I have friends who have one of those pink bathrooms in their own mid-century modern home.  They refuse to update it because they like the Mamie pink color.  I have another friend whose guest bath is mid-century pink with green trim and accents, Mamie's favorite color combination.

Now let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us. 


21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Have a wonderful Friday! Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Sad that after war another war follows.
But Ike sure was a real man, only a real man can take so much pink :-)
My T laughed his head off when Ingo wore my pink/blue backpack and shut up in smiling respect when I told him that only a true man...
Mamie sure was an adorable woman.
My bike was pink, btw, and I had a pink phase with clothes, too. Oh. Still sit in my PJs here (don´t tell) and they are pink with white hearts.

P.S. Ingo informed me I forgot to explain one thing in my post, I added it. It was about injustice and the bad words went in their language to me...

Lynn Holland said...

I love the clothes and as for pink bathrooms - why not. Orange, burgundy, avocado ones as well. It’s funny how we have all followed the herd and have white ones. I think if our toilet hadn’t broken and we hadn’t got a hole in the sink we would have kept our avocado set haha

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely post, enjoy your weekend. xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's lovely to see so many personal items on show it really helps you to get to know them as real people. I admire anyone who sticks with their own taste in clothes and decoration, if you like pink then why not. I'm not a lover of the fashion at the moment for white walls everywhere, give me some colour any time. Have a lovely weekend (Bank Holiday in the UK). Hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

I really loved their china collection....a very pretty design. Her clothes were very stylish too...some really lovely designs.
Hugs,
Annie x

Mae Travels said...

Heretic here! I didn’t and still don’t like 50s style — I loved the novel clothing and decorating styles of the 1960s.

Good smiles!! ... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lisca said...

Behind every great man is a great woman. Ike could not have done it without Mamie. They were the perfect pair to be in the white house.
The Eisenhower toile made me smile. And pink bathrooms have been fashionable all over the world because of Mamie.
Nowadays we would say she would be too old to go through a pink phase. Nowadays it's for little girls. I don't think I've ever had a pink phase, although I did have pink items. Twenty years ago I bought a Nintendo and it was pink. My posh iPhone is pink too, but I bought that off my sister, so it was not my choice.
Thank you for the great museum visit.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

LA Paylor said...

now that was an American president... the "buck stops here" taking responsibility for his actions. I enjoyed that trip and miss going to museums

Divers and Sundry said...

It's a shame there's always a war and a shame "waging peace" isn't more of a thing :(

Gillena Cox said...

Lovely spread. Luv the china best of all. Stay safe

Much👩‍🎨love

Sandra Cox said...

This was a lovely post. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an Ike and Mamie in the white house again?

mamapez5 said...

Well I don't think I would care for a pink bathroom. We inherited the dreaded avocado green one in one of our houses, ans we never did get around to changing it. We just sort of got used to it. Kate x

Karen said...

I love those dishes ~ So pretty! so much class ~ Enjoy the weekend

DVArtist said...

You have been covering this life so beautifully. What a life Ike lead. Thank you.

Susan Kane said...

What a museum! The Eisenhowers set a high standard for the coming years. Ike was a leader like none other.

Tom said...

...I like Ike!

My name is Erika. said...

What an interesting life they led. I didn't know Ike was president of Columbia. And I enjoyed seeing about Mamie too. I'm glad they didn't forget her as so many women do get forgotten to history. I remember watching something once where they said she didn't like footprints in a carpet. I wonder if that was really so. Her clothes (although definitely of their time) are really beautiful and I found that fascinating. Hope it was a good FRiday. Hugs-Erika

nwilliams6 said...

Loved the pictures. I collect political buttons and love my I like Ike button. I have never known much about her but she seemed to have a good head on her shoulders and a lot of style. TFS!

Lowcarb team member said...

Great to see all of your photographs here.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I guess I never realized it before because most of the photos you see of her are when she is older but she was quite pretty when younger. The pink dress made me smile.