Thursday, August 20, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Night Scene


It's Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Night Scene.

I don't have a lot to offer this week.

I'll begin with this entry I called "Day to Night."

It's fairly obvious, I named this "Night on the Town."  Believe it or not, this is a stunning photo of a quilt.  Isn't it lovely?

For this page, I began by creating one of my favorite backgrounds: 91% isopropyl alcohol and a green Staz-on reinker.  I don't think I'll be making too many more of these for awhile, though, because I'll need to ration my alcohol until this COVID-19 has been put to bed.  Thankfully, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left, but there is none to be found in the stores.   

For the words, I started with paint chip samples from the hardware store that I sewed in place using green variegated thread.  The buttons were some I had been gifted.  I wanted the threads long and dangling to honor the quilt. 

This is possibly my least favorite Night art I've created.  I began by adding a sheet of Christmas holly scrapbook paper to the 110 lb. substrate.  I cut the 12 X 12 inch (30,48 X 30,48 centimeter) paper to 8.5 X 11 inch (21,59 X 27,94 centimeter), the same size as the substrate.  Originally I had planned to sew everything, then decided against it.  There was enough confusion with this piece without adding thread to the mix.  The central image was a Christmas postcard sent to my friend Sally by "Chewy," an online company that sells all types of pet products.  I added a slew of white dots and the dark red balls on the fireplace swag, in addition to the words on the book.  I wrote the sentiment on leftover red copier/printer paper, then adhered the cut words to lime green copier/printer paper.  This was one of those measure twice, cut once mistakes.  Once I had all the words assembled, I realized I didn't have enough room for everything.  Unfortunately, I had no more lime green or red scraps, so I had to make due with what I had.

I called this one "Headlights."

Date night.

Granted, this was for a T Tuesday entry, but the city at night in the background was too good to pass up.

Now for some night time photos.

Evening light in my neighborhood last winter.  The light you see in the snow is from the street light overhead.

I read this poem and changed the words on my blog for a T Stands For Tuesday one year at Christmas.

Santa stayed for hot cocoa before heading home.

There are certainly times when it's dark on the moon.  This is a full scale replica of the Lunar Explorer Module (or LEM) and a full scale model of the Lunar Rover.  They are located at the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Kansas, USA.

One of my tabletop trees lit at night.

And this is why I don't like to use my flash.  You can tell a flash from a mile away.

I had to serve a Kahlua Cappuccino Shake the night the power went out right before T Tuesday.

It's frustrating when the power is out on my side of the street, but not the other side.

When my friend Joseph from California was visiting, he shot a video of a thunderstorm and lightening.

Joseph (on the right) was filming while I got images of the rain that was coming down in buckets.

That's as much as I have today.  All art created by me.  All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard was actually excited because he always gets treated like a king when Joseph visits.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.


28 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice selection of pieces and photos today. The last scene is my fave, photos taken in the dark and rain are always good. Have a great day, Valerie

Kokopelli said...

Love the clock and the lady. She looks so elegant in her dress. I'm just sitting heren and watching an unexpected downpour, but in bright daylight. The good thing is: no watering the veggies and flowers today. Have a nice day!

Iris Flavia said...

Love the lady a lot! But snow... ewww....
Ingo bought a mobile aircon for me yesterday and BOOOM. 19C. Outside!!!
I don´t want summer to leave. And yes, night-time starts earlier now.
But... that´s life, right.

craftytrog said...

A great selection of night themed art and photos Elizabeth!
Hope you're well,
Alison xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful your self-made work and the photos of winter and the downpours. Great contribution from rains topic!
Greetings Elke

Karen said...

Great examples ~ My favorite is headlights ~ Oh and the women going out on the town ~ Enjoy your day!

CJ Kennedy said...

I love all the different interpretations of the night.

Christine said...

Lovely pieces!

Cathy Kennedy said...

A night on the town in a backless dress...now that's what I'm talking about! *howls at the moon* :) Your spin on this week's night scene prompt is fabulous. I love seeing how each person interprets what Rain presents the art date community with each Thursday. The Night Before Christmas was a favorite to read to our kids when they were small. I miss those sweet days. Stay safe and be well, my dear!

Curious as a Cathy

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm impressed by the variety, the different ways you approached the prompt. We get such small amounts of snow and so seldom that it always excites me to see :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You made it sound like you didn't have much to share, but indeed you did. A lot of cool, fun pictures and quilts and I must say, if your friend Joseph is as handsome from the front as he seems from the back, well, I would enjoy his visits too :) I have to point to a favorite this week. Your "Headlights" just jumped off the page for me. So unique and yet is seemed very real ... I could actually imagine all of the headlights ... I think I have been there at night trying to see where I am going with lights shining in my eyes. An awesome piece, Elizabeth. Hope all is well with you and you are doing what you need to do to be safe.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Sandra Cox said...

Many, many wonders today.
That quilt is awesome! I love the Night Before Christmas:)
You got some great shots. Enjoy your company:)
Stay safe. Be healthy.

Sami said...

That quilt looks fabulous (with the lady). Nice art as usual Elizabeth. Have a nice day

DVArtist said...

I love the direction you have gone with this theme. I absolutely love your night on the town. Hope you are having a good day.

Barbara said...

I really like ”Headlights”! It reminds me of scratch board. How did you do it?

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I like the night before Christmas piece !!! and I can truthfully say da tabbies, and we bet bleu and squiggles do too !! ☺☺♥3♥♥3

Mae Travels said...

I was disconcerted by the snow and other winter scenes. I’m dreading the end of the warm weather here, when we will really be stuck inside.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gillena Cox said...

WOW! luv your variations on the theme.
Happy Thursday

Much💝love

My name is Erika. said...

Fabulous night art and photos. I like how you included both. It is fun to see people interpret themes, not just this challenge but other challenges too. Hope it was a nice day. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

Lots of fun things but I really love your clock at the beginning. There is something about a good storm -- so long as it doesn't do damage or dump the electricity, I rather like them now and then!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

So wonderful! Love the headlight, that made me think of a tree at first.

-Soma

Trillian As said...

You show a lot of pieces. I love the lady at town. It is my favorite.

aussie aNNie said...

Nice post of interesting things, the photo images are great, the rain must have been pouring hard. xx
Enjoy your weekend. x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I think you have ample shared for Rains Night time theme Elizabeth, I especially love the lady on the quilt. I'd love her hung on my wall, fabulous in every way. The weather is all over the place in England, high heat, storms and heavy rain. Gale force winds today.. best batten down the hatches!! Wishing you and the kitties well Hugs Tracey xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

The nights are getting longer now, more chance to see the stars but less daylight - I'd rather have daylight! I love these photos and art Elizabeth. My favourite is the bingo card with the coffee! Hugs, Chrisx

NatureFootstep said...

lol, love that clock you created. And also the scene below the clock. Love the dress the woman is wearing. Would love to try one just to see what I would look like.

Take care. :)

RO said...

Lots of goodies to admire dear Elizabeth, but I'm partial to the snow and coffee right about now. Hope you're doing well! Hugs, RO

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth :)) I love your clock pieces! And wow, that's a quilt? Very nice!! Headlights is very cool, looks like "scratch" art! I love that medium! Oh your night photos remind me that winter is just around the corner...and actually motivates me to start planning my Christmas festivities lol...it's going to arrive before we know it...but I have Halloween and Thanksgiving to plan too! Oh I could go for a Kahlua Cappuccino Shake! :)