Friday, August 21, 2020

Friday Smiles 385: More from the Eisenhower Museum


It's Friday, so let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies who also participate in Friday Smiles. I'll feel silly if we ever get a man to join us and I start with these words.

This is where we left off last time.

Battle of the Bulge was also called Battle of the Ardennes.  It was the last major German attempt to push the Allies back from the western front.

The plan of the German counteroffensive was to break through to Antwerp, Belgium, to cut off the British army from American forces as well as from its supplies, and then crush the isolated British.

Patton's army became part of the offensive.  The Battle of the Bulge had been a profitable operation for Germany, for, even though it fell short of its objectives, it upset Ike's preparations and was the largest and bloodiest single battle fought by the United States in World War II. Viewed in relation to the whole situation, however, the counteroffensive had been a fatal operation.
 By late January 1945, U.S. forces, with British, Canadian, and French allies, had regained the territory lost in December’s Battle of the Bulge and resumed their drive eastward. Only one major obstacle stood in the path of their advance and that was the Rhine River, whose many bridges had been blown apart by retreating German armies. That forced the Allies to make an amphibious assault.  This strategic crossing of the Rhine river was also known as Operation Plunder.

Ike decided that several simultaneous crossings would have the greatest chance of success. His plan was to cross the Rhine, then drive into the Ruhr Valley to encircle a large part of the German army and effectively end German resistance.  He began the massive mobilization and movement of engineers, soldiers, equipment, and supplies across one of the most important river crossings of WWII.  The attack was both amphibious and airborne.

The Situation Map was one of several used at Ike's temporary headquarters in Europe.

Ike had been told about the Concentration Camps, and insisted on visiting one.  He asked that journalists from the U.S. and Britain visit and document what they saw.  He had others take photos because he wanted the world to never forget what had happened in these camps.  He was afraid that unless it was so well documented, some might claim it was merely propaganda and not fact.


Ike was deeply moved by the atrocities he saw in the camps at Gotha.



Ike made sure everyone possible knew about the camps

and the evidence could not be hidden.

After Ike's troops took Berlin, the Germans surrendered.  The war in Europe was over.  Although it was called Victory in Europe Day, it was soon shortened to V-E Day.


You can't read this, so I took a better photo.

Ike demanded full surrender.  As a result, the Germans surrendered on May 7, 1945 and "the world celebrated V-E Day on May 8."

Ike learned about the atomic bomb in July, 1945.  He was opposed to the idea of using such deadly force, but President Truman decided it was the best and only way to end the war in the Pacific.  The first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, then the second on Nagasaki on August 9.  On August 14 (or 15 depending on the time zone), Japan officially surrendered.  V-J Day was both August 15 (U.K.) and September 2, 1945 (U.S.), when the surrender document was officially signed aboard the U.S.S. Missouri in Tokyo Bay, Japan.

I'm not sure why I was so taken by this car, but I took tons and tons of photos of it.





I'm so short, I couldn't really see into the car because it was behind glass, as you can see.

Lots of memorabilia and photos,

but I couldn't get close enough to see them.



Apparently, Ike received lots of accolades and awards for his planning of D-Day.

But now the war was over

and Ike was home with Mamie and John.  Perhaps the next few installments of the photos in the museum will be more to everyone's liking, especially those of you who oppose war.

I think this is a great place to stop.  The war is over, the world is safe for a few months and Ike is home where he can continue to expand his career.


Now for a few funnies:

I had to look up Banff and learned from reading my dear friend Birgit's blog it is definitely in Canada.  I learned it is in Alberta, Canada and in the Canadian Rockies.  Some interesting facts are it's located within a national park and was the first community to do so.  It is west of Calgary about 126 km (78 mi).  Ready for these jokes I found?

Actual Questions Asked by Banff Park Tourists at the information kiosks manned by Parks Canada staff.
 
How do the Elk know they’re supposed to cross at the “Elk Crossing” signs?

At what elevation does an Elk become a Moose?

Tourist: “How do you pronounce ‘Elk’?”

Are the Bears with collars tame?

Is there anywhere I can see the bears pose?

Is it okay to keep an open bag of bacon on the picnic table, or should I store it in my tent?

Where can I find Alpine Flamingos?

I saw an animal on the way to Banff today.  Could you tell me what it was?

Are there birds in Canada?

Did I miss the turnoff for Canada?

Where does Alberta end and Canada begin?

Do you have a map of the State of Jasper?

Is this the part of Canada that speaks French, or is that Saskatchewan?


I hope you are like me and don't have to live in Canada to appreciate these.  More next week.

Now let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us. 



15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi E, have a great day. Just got back from the doc's, so now it's coffee time. Valerie

Karen said...

Good morning (waves!) Enjoy the day & the weekend ~

CJ Kennedy said...

Another interesting visit to the museum. V-E Day made me wonder how my mother felt. Certainly, glad the war in Europe was over, but my father was still in the Pacific Theater. It must have been hard to see husbands of friends returning from Europe and for my mother to wonder when she would see her husband. Though the war finally ended in August, Dad didn't get home until Christmas Day 1945 Enjoy your weekend.

Mae Travels said...

I've always wanted to go to the Canadian Rockies -- so I like your clueless tourist questions. I guess a lot of people in the tourist industry have lists like that. We knew a dive guide who was once asked the altitude. She looked down at the sea and said, a few feet above sea level. The person was offended and said, it's important, I really have to know.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Annie said...

As you know I'm not a lover of the war museum but I really do appreciate the trouble you go to to share it with us all. I chuckled at the jokes...some people really are stupid enough to ask those questions.
Hugs,
Annie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I have found these visits really interesting Elizabeth! Let us hope we never have such war again! As for the Holocaust - there are some who still deny it ever happening!!! Ike was right to have it recorded!
I laughed at your funnies, we have often been on tours where folk do ask the daftest questions! As for Canada - we have been watching a series about the Rivers of Canada - such beautiful scenery! Have a great weekend, Hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

This museum is a work of devotion, I can tell.

DVArtist said...

This is truly a remarkable museum. Ohhh the car, you took so many photos because of the design, the lines and the over all look of this beauty. Have a nice weekend and again thanks for sharing this.

Lisca said...

Thank you for another interesting museum visit. Many people will be glad the war is over. His car is indeed a beauty. Nowadays most cars look the same. But back then the Americans really knew how to design a car. They were three times as long as anything we had here in Europe and he must have had quite an audience driving around in that.
I laughed at the funnies. Children say the funniest things.
I have been to Banff (and to Jasper) as we traveled through the Rockies in Canada in the year 2006. It's a beautiful area. My mother's family live in Alberta, and some just outside Vancouver in the Frazer valley.
We were staying with relatives somewhere on a farm out in the middle of nowhere. I had mentioned that I had never seen and elk or a moose. Says my relative: Our neighbour has a few. Hop in the car and we'll go and see him. I thought that going round to the neighbours wouldn't take long, but we drove for two hours on a dirt track to get to the neighbour! (And never saw the elk!).
Wishing you a happy Friday, and a great weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Darla said...

I enjoy posts with information about history. Like CJ, my father served in the Pacific. He was wounded in Guam and sent to a hospital in Seattle. I don't remember a lot about it, just that my brother and I were whisked off to an aunts house while Mom went to Seattle. Thanks for the post Elizabeth.

mamapez5 said...

Well I've never been to Canada Elizabeth, but I did understand the laugh behind most of the comments.
As for my cat tower that you mentioned in your comment, I have once seen Tango go up and sleep in the little enclosed house, but so far neither of the others have shown any interest in it, but Tolly loves it.
Enjoy your weekend with Bleubeard and Squiggles. Kate x

Lowcarb team member said...

A very interesting visit to the museum, great post.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I hate war too but it's good that we don't forget how awful it is. Love the car though. American cars are so much bigger than the type we have here in the UK. Your funnies are brilliant too. Sorry for being so late today just got otherwise occupied. Have a great weekend, hugs Angela xXx

My name is Erika. said...

I forgot the Battle of the Bulge was WWII and not WWI. I had also not heard of Operation Plunder. This is such a fascinating place. And I had to laugh at your Friday Funny's. I have been to Banff and I can just picture tourists asking these kinds of questions. Nope, I was not one of them. Although at Jasper I did have problems telling the back of a laying down animal-whether it was elk or moose. It was elk, what I thought, but I could never see the head. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

A great selection of funnies! They made me smile ☺️ xx