Saturday, August 22, 2020

Oceans


By now, many of you know Art Journal Journey's host this month is Alison (aka Craftytrog). Alison has chosen the theme Pockets and Tags.

Recently, my foodie friend and junk mail enabler, gave me a bunch of junk  scraps  goodies I could use for my art.  One of those was a map of the world from one of her charitable foundations she supports.  Even though there was "advertising" their charity work on the map, I used it to make these tags and a pocket. It appears there isn't much charitable work this group does in the oceans.

I tried every way I could to get the compass portion of the map onto a tag, to no avail.  I was glad, because I realized I could turn it into a pocket on my page.



I had to add the word "OCEAN" to two of the tags, because the words were too far from their given ocean.


This was the extra tag that I placed in the pocket.

I tried to get bits of land included with each of the oceans.




For this page, I started with a sheet of 110 lb cardstock I colored using Staz-on reinker and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  Once dry (which took about four minutes) I added the tags, which I had made using die cut tags glued behind parts of each ocean.  I outlined each tag using a blue felt pen, then added a hole reinforcer to each tag.  Finally, I added the pocket using double sided tape.

Thanks so very much for spending time with me today, and I hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey



20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely idea with the map-tags, great way to use up your supplies from Cathy. Have a wonderful day, take care. Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Somehow this reminds me of the fantastic and surreal lines from Lewis Carroll's Hunting of the Snark, one of the best-ever nonsense poems:

“What’s the good of Mercator’s North Poles and Equators,
Tropics, Zones, and Meridian Lines?”
So the Bellman would cry: and the crew would reply
“They are merely conventional signs!

“Other maps are such shapes, with their islands and capes!
But we’ve got our brave Captain to thank:
(So the crew would protest) “that he’s bought us the best —
A perfect and absolute blank!”

I really like your tags with the out-of-context bits of blank ocean.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Hehe :-) "junk mail enabler" - love this!
This is a truly bitter-sweet work! I so miss the ocean...
The last one with the pocket is my fav.
My family is at the ocean right now, big Niece reached the big 10 yesterday but it was too cold to go for a swim there...

Karen said...

Great map recycling ~ Enjoy the rest of the weekend

CJ Kennedy said...

Your ocean tags would make great place cards for an event. I like the compass rose pocket to store them in.

aussie aNNie said...

Great tags, very creative I must say, love the rose. xx

Nancy said...

Soothing colors- nicely done.

Jeanie said...

I always loved using maps as a background and these work so well. I really, really like these, Elizabeth. Nicely done!

My name is Erika. said...

Cool tags and pocket too. I love how you used the map. Oh makes me want to go someplace right now out of the ordinary, but small steps with Covid is better than no steps. I didn't get online yesterday I need to go back and see what the Eisenhower Museum has this week. It is now on my want to visit list. Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

This is so cool I love it Elizabeth-hugs

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous page! I love how you used the map to create your tags and pocket 😀. The map really adds such lovely detail to your design - perfect! Wishing you a very happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

DVArtist said...

You are so funny, "junk mailer enabler." Your art just amazes me. You can take anything and make it into art. I love the maps. We collect maps and so this strikes home for me.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how you arranged these and how well your background works with them.

Susan Kane said...

How totally clever! Your mind is amazing.

"It appears there isn't much charitable work this group does in the oceans." Heh.

craftytrog said...

An amazing page Elizabeth, you did well to get all those oceans on there as well as the compass. It's a great page for my AJJ theme.
Alison xx

Linda Manning Findley said...

Super idea "E" ... love all the tags

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Great, beautiful map recycling!!!
Greetings Elke

Cindy McMath said...

A very lovely map-themed page! Love the background colour and the pocket.

Meggymay said...

A super idea to create a page with tags and the Oceans of the world, I love this page.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Love these map-tags :)

All the best Jan