Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Flaming Heart


Erika, who many of you know as Bio Art Gal is this month's host at  Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is When It's Hot.  When I think of hot,

I thought of the Flaming Heart, sometimes called the Sacred Heart. 

I love the shape because it's a heart, and had no idea how much symbolism and Catholic religion it encompassed. 

The question I asked myself was why is the Sacred Heart always shown as if it’s on fire? 

From what I read, it dates back to the old testament in the bible.   However, there are also the rays of light that apparently represent Christ being the "light of the world.”


Then there's the Crown of Thorns.  Apparently, after the resurrection, the crown of thorns becomes a crown of victory.

Because I make it a habit to NOT discuss religion on my blog, I will leave it to each of you to determine how much more you want to learn about the Sacred or Flaming Heart. There's information out there, much of it religious, if you enter the keywords Sacred or Flaming Heart in an internet search.

For me, it was simply a way to depict heat.


For this page, I began with a sheet of my handmade paper that I colored using a red handmade shimmering mist.  I got it so wet, it tore when I tried to flatten and dry it on my craft table.  I already had the heart printed on photo paper, so when I fussy cut it, I had enough of the excess photo paper to write the words using a Sharpie pen.

Thank you beyond belief for joining me today, and I hope to see you at Art Journal Journey

 

24 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely piece Elizabeth, even if it's not a symbol I like, as a child I found it positively scary! Have a great day, take care, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Pretty 'cool' HOT post. x

Iris Flavia said...

OH!
#1 I agree, not religious discussions on private blogs.
#2 Great work and
#3 I still have the story book of my flaming heart!
Will that count? It´s certainly not my work (I´m no Goldsmith), not the heart, nor the book. But if so... any day or Wednesday?
A no is OK, then it will someday come as unreferred (as I announced it back then anyways).

Karen said...

Terrific piece ~ Love the idea of the crown of thorns turning to a crown of victory! Enjoy your day ~

Mae Travels said...

I think you have made a pleasing and interesting image, and I wouldn't have noticed the religious significance without your explanation. It would have been interesting to me if you had chosen to offer more detail about the history and what it means to you. Many of the other bloggers that participate in your events do indeed include religion as one of their positive personal topics, which isn't a problem for me or (presumably) many others.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Your image is a lot prettier than the images I've seen in religious illustrations.

magiceye said...

Well done!

My name is Erika. said...

I love the flaming heart image you used. I love the image in general. But like you, I don't know a whole lot about it. That is really fascinating. Nothing better than a great page that lets you learn something new. Thanks for such a cool page for this challenge of mine Elizabeth. hugs-Erika

Eileen Bergen said...

I was pleasantly surprised to see your Sacred Heart page, Elizabeth. It was a lovely way to start my day, since I am Catholic. I agree with you about keeping religion off of our blogs, but sometimes religious items fit for our art of discussions of history.

Have a lovely week. Hugs, Eileen

Sandra Cox said...

Beautiful!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I am happy to see and enjoy your creative process here Elizabeth, looks amazing, I wish I was a bit more creative 💜

da tabbies o trout towne said...

the design on the heart is amazing !!!! nice work Elizabeth ♥♥☺☺

Mia said...

I do not know about the religion meaning of the heart, but I love your flaming heart, Elizabeth. Great page, my friend.

Tom said...

...well it sure has been HOT this summer!

Jeanie said...

This is a beautiful piece and so works with the theme. Love the red!

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Elizabeth, I love this art page for the theme

DVArtist said...

I really like this. I did not see a religious note in this. Maybe because I am not religious. LOL Love the "heat".

craftytrog said...

It's a beautiful page Elizabeth, I love your sacred heart! Religion is a bit like politics, best not discussed in some places.
Hugs,
Alison xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Beautiful Journal page with hot heart!!! Fantastic!!!
Greetings Elke

Lowcarb team member said...

A very nice page ...

All the best Jan

Neet said...

Thank you for the information about the Sacred Heart. I had no knowledge of it previously and love the way you research so much of what you show to us Elizabeth. A lovely page and certainly you cannot find many things hotter than flames as depicted in your page.
Hugs, Neet xx

Meggymay said...

A strong and emotive page for Erika's theme, thanks for the research information as well.
yvonne xx

Sharon Fritchman said...

It's so beautiful, Elizabeth. I love how you depicted the sacred flaming heart. It always interested me as a child, and when I became a nurse, I worked at "Sacred Heart Hospital" for many hears! Thanks for sharing this - I will be doing a google search to learn more! HUGS, Sharon

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm not Catholic, but the Sacred Heart is an image I find inspiring :) I love your art here.

(Religion is a subject like politics, one I'm always ready to discuss but one most people avoid *sigh*)