Thursday, July 23, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Put a face on it


Today Rain is asking us to put a face on things.  I'm not someone who draws, so there will be few NO instances of those.

Meet my alter ego, Wendy.  I created her for the first What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday anniversary.  Like me, she has very short hair except for the bangs that hang down over her eyes.  And like me, she loves to wear dresses instead of slacks.  It's obvious I'm not a seamstress, but I cobbled her together and she's been around for over 11 years now and still looking fine. 

I created this for a challenge.

One year I created over 50 of these pasta angels to give my friends.  Each one was created specifically for the recipient.  I used one end of a skewer to create the eyes and the tip of the skewer to create the whites of the eyes.  I drew the smiles with the skewer tip, too after an art friend showed me how and where to place them..

This was a book I made for a friend.  Each page was a different letter.  I'm focusing on the word Idea and that face.

From the same book, both sides, "V" and "W" have "faces."

This was for a geometric challenge.  My idea of a "person," I suspect!

The postman was from a magazine, and the wreath and gift were wood cuts I colored and added.  I also colored the images using water soluble crayons.

I made this art quilt as a Christmas gift for a friend who makes art similar to this.  It was my homage to her art.

This index card from 2016 is a play on words and images which resulted when I stamped the face and added the sheet music.

This is from my alpha-numeric dictionary year long challenge.

It's a rather sad close up, though.

This is the front of my RUST altered book which is a three ring binder that holds all the art I received in two swaps.

For the first anniversary of WOYWW, we didn't exchange ATCs, but small gifts.  I made this art quilt and sent to my Pay-it-forward partner.

You don't have to tell me I had a pitiful camera when I took this photo of an art quilt I made which was a gift to a friend.

One of my favorite artists is Piero Fornasetti, the Italian painter and interior decorator. He is probably best known to altered artists for his engravings, specifically the woman who it seems every rubber stamp company copies. Fornasetti created more than 500 variations on the face of opera singer Lina Cavalieri, whose picture he found in a 19th century magazine.

I used my large face stamp as a background, but I never quite got a good image. It's hard to tell there are 8 faces on the two pages.

I realize I showed this last week, but I didn't do much better when I was in a swap and stamped the Lina Cavalieri face.  The smaller face was created using faux shrink plastic (#6 plastic) after I stamped the image before shrinking.  That's when I learned #6 plastic shrinks better in one direction than the other.

These were three ATCs for a swap.  Yes, that is some of my textured handmade paper.

I created another one of these ABC books for another friend.  Both sides of this have faces.

The Humboldt penguin was for a challenge I created in my Challenges altered book.

Polymer clay faces I made for a tutorial.

You can see no matter how hard I try, I keep getting my fingernails stuck in the unbaked clay.  It seems to be amplified once baked!

I didn't draw this Easter bunny, but I colored her outfit and basket.

I found this quote and went looking for an image to go with it.  I think I got it right.

I laughed when I saw the bear, so used it in a mixed media challenge.


Now let's switch gears.

Here are some art faces that sit in my home.  Yes, that's a nude.

A photo of Dwight David Eisenhower's statue taken last autumn when I visited his museum and boyhood home.

This statue is from the Wichita, Kansas botanical gardens.

This is one of Wichita Art Museum's most famous and loved paintings.  It is a Mary Cassatt, one of only three famous female impressionists in the world.

From the same museum this an Edward Hopper, the same artist who painted Nighthawks.  

And how can we ignore the real face of this blog?


Wow, the flash does nothing for him.

And of course, the newest member of the blog: Squiggles.
Bleubeard is resting,

while Squiggles insisted on throwing everything he could find in the water bowl, much to the chagrin of Bleubeard.

Look at Squiggles' cute pink nose.

Possibly the best photo I have of Squiggles, even though he doesn't like to sit for a photo.

All art created by me.  All photos taken by me.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for taking time out of your day.  Bleubeard and I hope to also see you at Rain's Thursday Art Date.   Bleubeard was a bit miffed that Squiggles got the last word, though.

26 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

awww squiggles is adorable...love the fluffy gella.
brilliant post, different faces, different styles, just enough to give me the smiles..

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful selection of images. Love the photos of the 'boys' at the end. And my fave today is the girl in the tin, so pretty. Have a great day, take care, Valerie

Linda said...

So much creativity! Awesome.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I really should to yoga again, then I could maybe bite my butt for having given away all thos wonderful books instead of keeping the best to create something!!
I love your work and you certainly had me ooooooh-ing and awwwwing on the last pics!

My cat arrived (ok, it´s but an earring, but SOME earring!)

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Great, you did a great job with all the fascinating work. Your cats are lovely oh so cute the photos!
I wish you a good day, hugs Elke

craftytrog said...

Beautiful face art and lovely photos of Squiggles!
Hope you're having a good day.
Alison xx

CJ Kennedy said...

This post was just delightful. I loved all the interpretations of face that you did. The pasta angels are just adorable and a clever idea! My favorite faces were Bleubird and Squiggles. Ink never liked having his photograph taken either. Enjoy your day!

Karen said...

Wow ~ so many different mediums represented in this post! I'm amazed at how you can find all your images again...you must have good tags on your pictures. Bluebeard and squiggles are precious ~ Enjoy your day!

Barbara said...

I once made dolls, and Wendy would fit right in with my odd collection. I love her! All your photos are great, Squiggles really got my attention. Sl beautiful!

Mae Travels said...

The variation in style and colors in these expressive images is remarkable. So many different ways to see faces! As your challenge demanded. Thank you for sharing them.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Enjoyed all your faces today, nicely done!

Caty said...

Wowwwww Your faces Art are really Gorgeous Elizabeth !! I have enjoyed to see all the faces, the clay faces are wonderful, as Wendy !
But I have to say that the faces I love are those of Bleubeard and Squiggles !! ♥ They are so so so so tender !! What a chance you have to enjoy them.
I wish you a very nice summer, stay safe,
And big hugs,
Caty

Gillena Cox said...

Nice pieces Elizabeth. The butterflyflower face is my favourite. Happy Thursday

Much😊😷😊love

Lowcarb team member said...

A truly wonderful selection for us, thank you.

I did like the pasta angels you made for friends, and lovely to see Bleubeard and Squiggles :)

All the best Jan

da tabbies o trout towne said...

doodz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! itz total lee awesum ta see ewe both on de
blog two day !!!!! lookin good doodz....lookin good :) hope ewe both haza grate week oh end & stay chillax and happee : ♥♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

So many wonders today. Not least of all, Bleubeard and Squiggles.
Stay safe. Be healthy.

My name is Erika. said...

Fun to see all these faces today! And art I haven't seen. It's enjoyable to see this every Thursday. Hope it's been a good day. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Now that is a wide, wide variety of faces!! :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

My goodness, you are prolific. So many faces and I had picked the clay faces and the "Face The Music" as my favorites until I got to the "Piece De Resistance" ... Bleubeard! What a beautiful boy and your took great pictures of him. He does have a white beard though ... hmmmm. Well, never mind, he is gorgeous:) Have a great week ... stay safe, stay well.

Andrea @ From the Sol

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oops ... that wasn't Bleubeard, was it. So Squiggles has a white beard and all is well. Bleubeard is a Bleubeard :) My Fonzi is a Russian Blue and looks much like your boy, so naturally, I find them both to be gorgeous :)

Andrea @ Form the Sol

DVArtist said...

Ohhh great post for TAD. I really like the polymer face cabs. Have a nice weekend.

NatureFootstep said...

wow. a lot is going on here. :) '
Hard to pick, but I chose the clay faces as favorites, Ignoring nail marks. :)

Love it
Take care!

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! Oh I love your pasta angels so much, they are adorable! And I noticed your vintage Valentine on your cork board too, I love those! I really like your creative postman art. Your penguin is adorable. I love all of the clay faces you made, that's really neat. I haven't worked with clay for many years, it's something that I'd love to try again. The art faces that you have at home are beautiful and I love those frames. I love Edward Hopper's art. I want to do a Looney Tunes of his Nighthawks at some point. Congratulations on your newest feline friend, Squiggles is so cute and what a great name.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Awww bleubeard & squiggles, so nice to see their sweet faces on your blog today Elizabeth, great faces for rain's TAD. I too am so sorry for not being hear sooner, things get in the way don't they.. I scrawled to see how your eye was now but could not find an update, i'm sure it has been that long since I last visited how awful. I take it with all you fabulous arty blog shares all is much better than it was? The side face with the idea's, idea's, idea's feels like me.. so many in my brain i'm lucky if one pops out to make it on the page!
Always loved your WoywW Wendy.. Stay safe hugs Tracey xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Your cats are gorgeous! I'm loving your "block" person... reminds me of a robot from the old science fiction stories :)

Jeanie said...

Wow -- this is fabulous. Incredible faces, both created by you and others. My favorites, of course are the cats (gee, what a surprise!) I really tried to pick a fave -- I went back over and over and couldn't. Although I am very fond of your Wendy doll! Still, cats rule!