Sunday, July 26, 2020

Monday Murals: Strength


It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.

From what I can gather, this mural is called Strength.

It was painted in 2019 by Richard James Cook.  Although I couldn't find the sign, I believe this was supposed to be one of the murals created last summer during Avenue Arts Days, which are all located in downtown Wichita, Kansas (USA).

This shows Wichita, Kansas and many of the iconic buildings, including Exploration Place, the building shaped like a "U" and the bridge over the confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers.

Above the the image showing strength, and which I cut out of the photo, is the Keeper of the Plains, the famous Native American who sits on the river.  The building with the triangle at the top is supposed to be the tallest building in Kansas.

The building that looks like a turquoise saucer is Century 2, which many want to demolish and build something different near the river where it now sits.  If they do, it will definitely change the landscape of our city.  The tall building to the right of Century 2 is the Garvey Center.


Strength can be found at 1003 E Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

I will NOT be able to join you next week with a mural, because I am hosting my Second on the 2nd, which is my monthly look back at an entry you wish to reshare.  Any genre, any length is acceptable as long as it has been published sometime in the past.

18 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Great murals and the bright colours. Never see anything nice like this here. xx

Valerie-Jael said...

I like this mural, great style and colours. And I like the bricks in the background, better than a smooth wall. Wonderful piece, thanks for sharing, have a lovely day, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Another wonderful mural and a great way to showcase a city. Enjoy your day.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful mural. You and Tom seem to find them everywhere around you. I hardly see any where I am.

Nancy said...

I like the use of the oranges in this. A really nice one.

Sami said...

Beautiful mural Elizabeth. I like the colours and the outline of the city buildings. Thanks for participating.

DVArtist said...

This is a very interesting mural. Well done and I can see the strength in it. Enjoy your Sunday.

Mae Travels said...

This mural has such an outstanding overall composition, which is exceptional most of the time in very large works. Just beautiful!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Darla said...

I like the graphics, the colors, everything. We have a number of murals in our area. I may have taken some pictures of them.

BTW - I responded to something but used a different address so you might find it in your spam file. "from Darla".

My name is Erika. said...

That is a great mural. I love the Wichita symbol and the strong man. This mural is a great way to say that your city is populated with great people who are connected. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...I like the simple colors and design, it conveys strength to me!

Bertiebo said...

It's a beautiful mural. I like the colors and the composition

Iris Flavia said...

We do need strength - great mural. "Strong", so to say! :-)

s.c said...

A beautiful and unusual mural. I like it.

Jackie McGuinness said...

A great mural and thanks for the tour of your city, its the closest I will get to travel this year.
Wichita would be a good road trip for us.

No worries, about not noticing I joined T for Tuesday, I didn't expect you to.
I'll be along tomorrow!

Divers and Sundry said...

"Strength"! That figure rising up epitomizes the word. And I love the strong colors.

Jeanie said...

Well titled and very dramatic!

dee Nambiar said...

That is a great picture of strength.
I love the city-silhouette and the rays of light, too. Such a nice find! :)