Monday, June 15, 2020

T Stands For Coffee On My Back "Patio"


Last week I had coffee on my front porch.

This week I'm having it on what I jokingly call my back "patio."

First, however, let's go back nearly two weeks.  It was at that time I added the cage to the Roma tomato and planted the squash.

A few days later, I took this photo when I was out back with the birds.

Two days later, in the heat of the afternoon, I was shocked to see how distressed so many of my plants, including my Roma tomato plant, were.  Note how one of the squash plants has already popped up.

Early this morning, I was out before it was too hot and took these next photos.  Note how much my tomato plant has grown in two weeks.

Can you believe it? I've already gotten Roma tomatoes.  I'm a bit worried though, because it looks like they are experiencing blossom rot, which is a calcium deficiency and caused by inconsistent watering. 

My mint plants are slowing coming back to life

after they suffered heat strokes last week.

My new marjoram isn't doing too well, but some Genovese basil plants are starting to come up.

I'm in the process of staking my dill so it doesn't bolt out of the pot.

I'm tremendously impressed with my squash plant.  I'm not sure if the small ones are squash plants coming up or not, since I planted four, but spaced them evenly.  I got the idea because CJ raved about her husband planting one last year.

I believe my rosemary is ready for a haircut.  It overwintered inside and is now enjoying the sun after slowly being exposed over several days in a shady spot.

I have Thai basil I want to plant, but I need to find a container that will sit inside this one.

Both my sage and chives, purchased new this year, are doing well.  

I fear I'm getting more wheat grass than tomatoes growing out of my hay bale.

I worry that the Sweet 100s won't flourish in this hay.

Finally, I planted fennel in this container, but so far, I haven't seen much.  I also see it's time to repaint.  I just painted my house four years ago.  I wish I could find a paint that lasted longer than four years, even though I purchased a really good brand to paint my entire house.

Feel free to drop by and share a cup of coffee (or other drink of your choice) with me.  Straws are optional.  I have more metal ones if you need to borrow one.

Now it's your turn to share your drink.  By now you probably know the "rules," but in case you don't, please show something drink related. It can be photos, a place you visited, movies, tea cups, coffee mugs, a tea or coffee service, postcards, books, magazines, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, ATCs, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink.  Please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.   Please link only your T post and your name only, not your blog in general.  Old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday, and not just this year.




I apologize for this post being so long already, but I want to ask if you want to celebrate year seven of T Stands For Tuesday with another ATC swap? Be thinking about it, and we'll talk more next week.
 

27 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your plants are looking quite good, and growing quickly, and you have plenty of herbs. Pity the paint is flaking odd the house, it should last more than 4 years. Hope you have better luck next time. I don't need to paint my pace, but I did clean all the windows, inside and out and changed all the curtains, so that was also a lot of work and climbing up and down the ladder for me. But it looks good now. Happy T Day, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Elizabeth, your plants are looking good-congrats on tomatoes already. I bought some miracle grow for tomatoes that helps with that calcium problem in the soil. it helped with some plants I had at the woods house.
Nice to enjoy coffee outdoors and enjoy all the birds singing. Happy T and thanks for hosting for all of us Kathy

Eileen Bergen said...

Your plants are doing well. I love harvest time the best. I'm not good at the weeding or dealing with sick plants.

Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

Susan Kane said...

those Roma tomatoes will be ready in how long? a week? Fresh tomatoes are the best, esp. when plucked from the vine. Your container garden is impressive!

Dianne said...

You garden pots are looking great! A happy green view in your back yard...I love the sage. Mine got pretty lavender spiky blossoms this year. And it's great to harvest in the fall and dry it for seasoning. I love it in chicken and stuffing especially! tomatoes already in bloom?! hope they continue to do well. happy T day!

Mae Travels said...

What delicious dishes you will cook with all those herbs and tomatoes! That looks like a beautiful garden. Thanks again for hosting the linkup.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Halle said...

Your plants are looking really good. Fingers crossed that you don't have blossom end rot...such a pain and defeating when it happens. I have lots of blossoms on my tomatoes but no fruit yet. I think in the next week everything is really going to pop. So excited!
Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

Your plants are doing fantastic. And I love seeing tomatoes growing out of the hay bale. I have never seen that but how cool is that. And tomatoes already. Wow. That is really exciting. My veggies are still very small so yours look huge compared to mine. You must enjoy sitting out on your back patio. Hope it's a fantastic T day. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

Good job on the container gardening - it all looks great! Wish I had some of the green thumb. Only thing I can keep well is outdoor containers of annual flowers...
Our shared neighbor's veggie garden was tilled and planted so recently(very late this year cuz they were stuck in Fl) that we're all holding our breath that we eventually see some produce. Keep up the good work, and happy T day!

Cindy McMath said...

Just dropped by to say thanks for all your kind words on my most recent posts - I was quite pleased with the pear card! All of the 100 Day project cards are on watercolour paper - I had a box of flat cards that are just over 4” x 6” that I decided to use for this project. You might nor notice the texture on all the cards since I put so much paint and collage on them! :) Nice to see your garden - mine is just weeds and wild grasses right now - I’ve been trying to get it into shape but it’s a lot of work and my arthritis prevents me from working on it too much. Tried to find a gardener to come but no luck so far. Take care.

aussie aNNie said...

The plants are looking so healthy and love roma tommies too...have fun on your porch...xx

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, I´m very seriously impressed by your green thumb!
Here... nada!
But it seems not to be only me, nearly no one here has flowers/herbs out on the balcony this year. It was / is way too cold, it was way too dry, it´s no fun.
The more so to see yours! Beautiful!
Wow, you paint your house yourself! Which color will you choose?
I live in a house of 14 parties and long before we moved in here they decided on... grey. Grey!!! How dumb, dull, unhappy that looks like. At least the new main door is red.

J said...

Hi Elizabeth, your herbs are doing well, we find here that flat leaf parsley, rosemary and Thyme grow well but other stuff just dies with the heat.
I'm looking forward to seeing those tomatoes when they are rip, I've never heard of that variety, Steve grows cherry tomatoes, I love the smell of freshly picked tomatoes!
Happy T Day Elizabeth, take care
Jan x

Meggymay said...

Gosh your plants are looking healthy and seem to be thriving even though you mention the changing weather conditions. You will enjoy using all those herbs as well.
I would happily join you for a sit and chat out on your patio if I could.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Words and Pictures said...

So far we're avoiding heat waves here... in fact the plants in pots are more likely to end up with root rot from too much rain. But that was after a long period with no rain at all, so mostly the surrounding trees and plants were very grateful! Great to see you have tomatoes bearing fruit already. Ours are still in the flowering stage, but fingers crossed. Unfortunately I think the birds I've been feeding are going to think any tomatoes which arrive are specially for them too!
Alison x

CJ Kennedy said...

Wow, so many plants. The tomatoes are so cute and everything is looking good. Your patio is such a nice spot to sit and enjoy a cup of tea. When Himself tried planting in bales, he used straw not hay. He said the hay had too many weeds in it. As to paint, we always use Benjamin Moore. Last year, when we had the soffits and new gutters put up, the house got painted again even though Himself had done the job maybe 5 years before. I chose the same color of paint and the painter was surprised how the paint hadn't faded. The color was still close to the new shade. We have cedar shakes on the house so I don't know if that makes a difference. Take care and Happy T Day

RO said...

Wow! You could start a Farmer's Market right in your backyard Elizabeth!(lol) Wish I could fly you here to work on my plants. They all died!(lol) Hugs, RO

Divers and Sundry said...

I like that you can grow veggies on your patio. It makes it a kitchen garden right there on the patio :) And I like how your plants are at different levels. That makes an attractive arrangement. It looks like a nice place to sit, especially with the wider view you have of your yard. I remember Daddy painting one side of the house each year. The paint lasted 4 years, and the project didn't take long doing one side at a time.

Happy T Tuesday!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your herbs and veggies are looking amazing! They have rally grown and it looks like you'll have a great crop of tomatoes too 😉. The squash looks fab too! Take care and enjoy your coffee - Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

da tabbies o trout towne said...

your garden is awesome Elizabeth though da tabbies wondered about the "burd" sentence !!! around here; everything would be "lost" in a manner of days, thanx... KNOT... to the neighborhood hares ~~~~~~~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

Anne (cornucopia) said...

You have such a great Green Thumb Elizabeth. I just added a link to my blog that you might find interesting: it describes using empty milk jugs, etc. to create greenhouses to grow seeds outside, instead of using grow lights inside. It's on my How To tab/page, which I now realize is missing. (I had a little mishap with it earlier today, but I didn't know it was gone. Ugh.) Happy T-Day!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

P.S. Thank you for your positive, kind words dear Elizabeth. Yes, family comes first. It was a very upsetting few days last week, with my fur baby being sick, and me doing a lot of crying. Today I'm checking on him throughout the day. He was resting when I peaked in on him about 10 minutes ago.

Also, my How To tab/page is back:

https://annescreativecornucopia.blogspot.com/p/how-to.html

check out the link with this description: How To Winter Sowing Seeds Plastic Bottle Greenhouses

It looks like something you might want to try, if you haven't done so already.

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's so lovely to see all those herbs and veggies growing! I do love your back patio area. I guess that this area gets most of the sun! Happy T day! Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

Pour another coffee I'll be right there:)
The tomatoes are so cute.
I love rosemary. I keep mine outside year round. It grows like a small bush but I'm farther South.

DVArtist said...

OMG your garden is growing so fast. I guess that's what happens when there is sunshine. my Romas are no where near that size. It is the first time I have grown everything from seed. Well it is my first real garden too. I do have squash though. Have a great evening.

Lisca said...

I'm sorry I haven't commented earlier. We have been out all day yesterday. And blogger doesn't like the iOS so I have to wait until I'm home and boot up the old desktop PC.
What a lovely container garden. And such a good Idea to plant in a hay bale. I have never heard of that.
No my fennel has not done anything either. A shame really as we can't get fennel here. Perhaps that is the reason: it won't grow...
Sad that your plants suffered in the heat. I'm sure you water them every night. We have a hot climate here and some plants I have to water morning and evening when it's very hot. Some of them tolerate water in the saucer.
A belated happy T-Day to you,
Lisca

Jeanie said...

Wow -- your pots and tomatoes are looking fabulous. They're growing like crazy. What a bounty you will have in not too long a time!