Sunday, May 3, 2020

Monday Murals: Native Americans


It's time to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. Although I'm posting at my regular time, please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 11:01 a.m. my time.

Like oftentimes, I found this mural while looking for another one.

I'm not sure what kind of a statement the artist, Ric Dunwoody was trying to convey,

but I like that he "X"d out the sports symbols like the Cleveland Indians caricature of “Chief Wahoo” (bottom) wore on their caps from 1947 through 2018, or the Washington Redskins who still have the symbol (middle in circle) on their helmets and jerseys, or the Chicago Blackhawks, (top left) which has represented Chicago hockey since 1926.  

I'm not sure how the focal image fits in, 

but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the sports figures,

or the Native American in traditional dress on a horse.

This mural is located at 2130 N. Market, Wichita, Kansas, USA.

I found this image on the internet of the artist creating the focal image.  I liked it much better before he added the nose ring and the weird eyes.

EDIT: My friend CJ came up with an elegant and thoughtful idea about the mural.  Here's what she wrote:
Perhaps it's meaning if Native Americans are going to be used as a caricature, then show the warrior spirit and dignity. Awesome mural

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Good morning Elizabeth! It's a very striking mural, with great colours, but it has a rather scary vibe to it. It's not something I'd want to look at every day. But it certainly is powerful! Have a great Sunday, take care, Valerie

Meggymay said...

That's an interesting mural, I would never have guessed it related to sports, I thought it to be about actual indian people.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! That really is a striking mural! I don't especially like the Electric looking eyes and a nose ring????Ouch!!
Happy Sunday to you! Hugs, Chirsx

CJ Kennedy said...

Perhaps it's meaning if Native Americans are going to be used as a caricature, then show the warrior spirit and dignity. Awesome mural

craftytrog said...

An interesting mural, thanks for your explanations Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

I get the Xing out. But oh, poor Chief Wahoo...

Nancy said...

Well, it's very interesting and well done, and definitely has a message. But I only partially get it.

Divers and Sundry said...

I googled the artist and am impressed by what he's trying to accomplish. Nice! Thank you :) I'd never heard of him before.

Sandra Cox said...

I wonder what the nose ring is supposed to represent.

My name is Erika. said...

I was wondering if it is a statement against using Indians as mascots or city images. That the images they use don't represent modern day Native Americans. But CJ has a nice description too. Who knows, but it is cool mural. Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a wonderful weekend. I got a lot done this weekend-which was good. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...white folks just don't want to give up their racist stereotypes! I wonderful how they would feel if the tables were turned. This is a great political statement. Thanks for sharing.

froebelsternchen said...

A powerful.miral and CJs idea is super!
Happy new week.

Bertiebo said...

The artist made us think

aussie aNNie said...

Sports related, mmm interesting for sure.x

Iris Flavia said...

CJ sure brought it to the point!
A beautiful mural it is.

Mae Travels said...

The push-back against appropriating Indian images for commercial and sports purposes has made me aware of how unflattering and racist these stereotypes and characatures are. I did read that the Land O'Lakes butter box has been revised to remove the "Indian Maiden" -- though it was originally drawn by a Native American artist.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sami said...

I quite like your friend's interpretation of the mural Elizabeth. I too find those eyes and ear nose a bit scary, but otherwise the mural is actually quite nice.
Thanks for contributing Elizabeth.

magiceye said...

Bright and beautiful murals.

Words and Pictures said...

How great to see the artist in the act of creating his amazing mural (though I have to agree with you about the eyes and the nose ring!).
Alison x

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like this mural, the colours are amazing.

All the best Jan

Caty said...

This is an interesting mural, I like it . Wonderful scene with the horse, we have to think about it. Thanks so much for sharing Elizabeth.
Have a nice weekend, and
Big hugs, Caty