Thursday, April 30, 2020

This is no weed!


Today we welcome a new and first time host for the month of May at Art Journal JourneyPlease welcome Mia, who you may know as Craftartista, my dear friend who lives in Greece.  Mia's theme for May is Flowers

To start off this month, I created this simple, yet time intensive and consuming spread in my Challenges altered book.

I found a quote I thought was appropriate:
If roses were not special
weeds would not envy them.

~Matshona Dhliwayo
I can see why weeds would envy this beautiful flower

I found in my stash.

I really love how the words from the page

barely, but clearly, show through the saved envelope.

I must still be in recycling mode, because I began by laying down part of a lovely large envelope that originally held something large and flat.   While the page was drying, which took nearly a day because I used PVA glue, I computer generated and printed the quote I found on the internet.  I colored the words using two water soluble crayons.  When everything was dry, I added the words using a glue stick, and the lovely flower using E6000.  The one drawback is, every time I close the book and reopen it, I have to fluff the flower back to life!

Thanks beyond belief for visiting today.   Bleubeard and I are happy you stopped by.  We hope you will join Mia, Yvonne, Erika, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Flowers.  Please be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, tags, or 3-D art not attached to your journal page, and will be forced to delete your entry.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, I especially love the background. Happy May 1st, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

This reminds me bit of "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
I "sadly" only have the French version here, but it´s a lot about his rose he left on his planet.
She "tamed" him and as he walked into a field of roses on Earth... maybe you know the story anyways... HIS rose is special.
You only see clearly with your heart...

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful, gorgeous papers and image and lovely styled creation.x

Meggymay said...

Oh my, I love the gorgeous rose you added to your beautiful page. The background is equally lovely. I am pleased you can fluff up the petals when you open the journal and the quote was a great addition to the page.
its going to be a good new theme this month at AJJ.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

WendyK said...

It a fabulous page, love the gentle colours.

Sami said...

Pretty rose Elizabeth. Have a lovely weekend.

sheila 77 said...

This is lovely and has your ideas and design all over it. Fluffing up the flower can be something different and special in this book. The background colours are so soft. As always I enjoy your running commentary on making the piece which really brings it to life for me.

My name is Erika. said...

I would have never guessed that was the inside of envelope Elizabeth. Wow, what a gorgeous flowery piece of paper. It makes a fabulous background, and the less is more technique of adding just one pop up flower is amazing. This is truly a gorgeous piece! Thanks for liking me up if it was you also. (I'm not sure if you or Yvonne did). Much appreciated. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely page - looking forward to seeing more of your floral pages this month!

Neet said...

That rose is such a pretty colour and works xo well with the paper you used for your background. A lovely page Elizabeth.
Hugs to you and you know who
Neet xx

DVArtist said...

Wow Elizabeth, this color is amazing. The flower beautiful. Have a nice May day.

Divers and Sundry said...

What a lovely flower, and the perfect quote.

Every time I see "we will be forced to delete your entry" I get visions of the Challenge Police threatening you with dire consequences if you don't delete the entry lol I see images from noir film and hear gangster voices saying, "If you don't delete that entry, you dirty rat, I'll ..." roflol Anyway, my mind is strange and goes weird places, but I always get a kick out of it ;)

CJ Kennedy said...

So pretty. Reminds me of Chintz fabric dresses from the 1930s and 1940s

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous vintage look to your page Elizabeth! I love the flower, even if it does need fluffing up occasionally! Hugs, Chrisx

Mia said...

I am really honoured to host the AJJ Challenge for May, Elizabeth!
I llllllove your beautiful page with the lovely rose, the amazing background and the wonderful sentiment! Hugs, my dear friend.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful pages! I love the gorgeous flower that you used and the background looks so dreamy - perfect 😁. It's a great challenge for this month too! Happy May wishes and weekend! Stay safe and keep well! Hugs, Jo x

Barbara said...

Just read the other comments and totally agree, especially about the colors! Just lovely, peaceful and perfect for spring.

Rita said...

Very pretty. Love the flower and the quote. :)

craftytrog said...

A beautiful floral page! xx

Jeanie said...

I think 90 percent of collage is recycling! This is especially pretty and springlike!

Caty said...

Gorgeous spread page Elizabeth !! I really loove it, the background is stunning, with these great flowers and colours. I especially love this wonderful flower, which weeds envy. Beautiful sentiment.
Have a very happy Sunday and stay safe
Big hugs, Caty

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A wonderful flowers journal page!!! Stay safe and keep well! Hugs Elke

kathyinozarks said...

Pretty page and I love the quote

Words and Pictures said...

That lovely flower is worth the effort of re-fluffing it each time you open the book! I have similar problems when I get carried away with texture and dimension on art journal pages! The soft rosy images in the background are lovely too.
Alison x

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a beautiful looking page, lovely soft colours.

All the best Jan