Monday, April 6, 2020

Handy, part 2


If you missed the first part of this journal, you can find it here.    Before we begin, I want to show you what I keep getting every few minutes, or as I'm trying to leave a comment.

I can't seem to stay online.  Not sure you can tell, but on the far bottom right, this was taken yesterday afternoon after a particularly frustrating time trying to stay online.  For those of you I normally visit, you can see why I'm so far behind reaching out to you.  I DO apologize, but at least you can see I'm not making this up.

If you were here yesterday, you saw this is where we left off.

Here are the next two pages.  It's fairly obvious, even though the subject is hands, I'm also joining Valerie at Bastelmania, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with her Geometric Shapes theme. 

I grabbed a couple of my old S & H green stamps to make the top photo look less like an ad in a trade magazine.  I was thrilled to find the other three images, too.  

In case you can't read it, the hand cut from sheet music I colored using one of my  handmade shimmering mists, reads "Hands of Time."   Therefore I added two clocks left over from my Time altered book.  By now you can probably tell how dry and cracked my hands are from washing them every few minutes (I'm a bit anal that way).

Need a hand? 

More gestures from the book I picked up.  Perhaps I could learn sign language while on this forced hiatus.

I had a page I used to test my mists, so cut it into rectangles to back the two "check please" images.

I dug into my security envelopes and found one that fit the background of these two "blah, blah, blah" images.  The page started with a page from a British newspaper I had been gifted. 

This is the final page.  It is attached to the first page I showed before.  It was definitely left over from my Hands AB.  Adding a few sewn images to the page contributed to the background.  Yes, that's a label from a Hershey's Caramel Kiss.

One of the first "stamps" I made years ago was with a potato.  I cut a large baking potato in half, patted it with a paper/kitchen towel, then allowed it to dry out for a day.  I pressed a hand shaped cookie cutter in one side and cut the outer portion away like you would if you were carving a stamp.  I turned the cutter upside down and did the same to the other half of the potato.  That's why one hand is marginally larger than the other.

I treated the potato stamp like any other solid stamp.  I started by inking it with VersaMark, which gave me time to use embossing powder on the ink.  From there, I used my heat tool to turn the powder into molten goodness.

For "Pointing Fingers" I used my ink jet printer and covered as much embossing powder as I could while the ink was still quite wet.

This is Day 6 of 22 and I finished my Hands journal.  Remember, you don't have to sew in these journals.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you stopped by today. We hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Geometric Shapes, the theme Valerie has chosen for us this month. 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You got lots of work done on your lovely altered book. Love he sewing especially. Thanks for linking to my theme, too. Have a great day, stay safe, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Unbelieveable with your internet! How very frustrating!
Oh, hands... they remind me of... someone who has very small ones, just like his brain!

Yes, Hubby sure is in pain, his hands hardly can take water, and have to so often now.
Great subject, clever.

froebelsternchen said...

Wow.. this journal is simply amazing ELizabeth! So sorry for you about your internet. Fingers crossed for this drama!
Big hugs,

Susi

Meggymay said...

Elizabeth I think you cope so well with your internet issues, I don't think I would be so calm and all your friends know of your problems so don't worry, we know you are out there thinking of us.
I love part two of your post and all the fantastic pages you shared today. Hands we maybe take for granted , but they play such a major role in our daily lives. I hope you have a stock of hand cream I also feel I'm always near the tap these days.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

Karen said...

Very cool idea! ~ I like the sentiments especially "Entertainment is personal" I was selling at a craft show and this women said wow! you made all these cards? Don't you do anything else with your time? (with sarcastic tone and a shake of her head) and she walked away and I can't get that judgement out of my memory. I remind myself that art is never a waste of time and that it's a gift some people will never understand. I'm glad we have the time, talent and freedom of expression to enjoy it and share with one another. I hope your computer issues end soon I know how frustrating that can be! I made a recycle themed card and will post it later today ~ Blessings

My name is Erika. said...

This is a really amazing journal. What a good project for your recycling posts. I will say you outdid yourself. And I'm sorry you are having internet problems again. That has to be so frustrating. You have been plagued with them lately and you would think AT&T could get that fixed. It is almost like they are trying to force you to spend more money and go to a different setup. I would hope this time they could get it fixed. Hope your week starts off good (except for the internet) in other ways. hugs-Erika

Sami said...

Our hands are so important, great pages Elizabeth!
So sorry about your internet problems, hope they can be solved soon. Specially in these times it is essential to feel connected to the outside world.
Keep well :)

CJ Kennedy said...

Awesome interpretations of hands. Hope your internet woes straighten out soon.

Nancy said...

Those internet issues can be so aggravating! Hope it gets resolved. As always, I love the stitching you've added to these.

Cindy McMath said...

Fabulous work Elizabeth! With the message you are showing I am going to guess it has to do with so much more internet traffic right now with people both working from home, and also off work. We are having trouble getting into our teleconference lines because of this. So far my internet is ok (knock wood!). One of my favourite pages here is “blah blah, blah blah” that just made me smile! Also what a clever idea to emboss your wet inkjet ink. I wouldn’t have that the ink would be wet enough! As always, I love your sewing!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

this journal is fantastic!!
sorry for you about your internet :(
Stay safe and well, Elke

Divers and Sundry said...

How frustrating! If it weren't for the internet I'm afraid I'd go crazy lol

Jeanie said...

I've been getting that more and more lately. Part of me wonders if it's my lousy Comcast and the other part wonders if it is because there is so much traffic online in recent weeks. I guess we'll see soon enough. Good luck.

nwilliams6 said...

Urgh, computer and connection issues are the worst! They say we are bound to have more and more of them as everyone is online now. YOur pages are awesome - very cool focus on hands and stitching and art! Love them! Hugz

DVArtist said...

Wow this is truly fabulous. You have such a talent for this.

Eileen Bergen said...

Fabulous series of pages about hands, Elizabeth. I love all the clever tex, the stitching and your images. Great recycling too. Eileen xx

P.S. Don't you hate those messages that give no helpful suggestions?

Where To Buy Stamps said...

Hi nice article I loved reading it, do check my post on Wheretobuystampsx you would love it.