Sunday, April 5, 2020

Handy


I'm trying to make art that many of you could replicate using recyclable items.  We all know there are online stores that sell products we can use to make our art, but I'm hoping to keep as much out of the landfill as possible by showing what you can make at home.

Having said that, today I went a little overboard and made a complete journal from items left over from my Hands Altered Book.  I'll share half today, since I had a terrible time with my tension, changed thread about six times, and broke not one, but TWO needles in the process.

I'm also joining Valerie at Bastelmania, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with her Geometric Shapes theme.  I'm sure you'll find a few geometric shapes here.

I had the images, but needed to add the little things.  Not sure why I didn't take photos of the left side, but you can see I added a bow I created from a piece of an old sweater, a leftover paint chip, and two postage stamps to match what looked like one on the Made in Canada image.  I made the hands years ago from a potato and a cookie cutter.  I stamped the hands (there are two on the last page, too) and embossed them using copper embossing powder.  They made a great substrate for the first page.

I fell in love with this image I turned into a pocket.  It reminded me of Valerie's theme.  Lots of geometric shapes.  It was from the cover of a magazine I got in 2003.  I never throw anything away.

On the left, the focal image is from my undergrad school.

My undergrad school colors were green and yellow.   Another geometric shape on the lower right.  You can see my tension sucked all day.

More hands, the more different they were, the better I liked them together.   Many were from trade magazines.

As you may know, I have only black ink in my desk jet printer and black toner in my laser printer.  Using colored paper became a viable option.  Yes, I stamped.  I added the stamped image in the top left when I realized I needed something more.  I removed the bar code from a clear sticker.  The flower had a copper brad for the center. 

More images, again from trade magazines are interspersed with a map.

Not sure why I couldn't rotate this photo, but after fussing with it for ages, I gave up.

You might be able to tell we are now at the middle of the book.  I was using my "eye" stamp elsewhere and decided to add it to the part of the page that was torn away.

Besides trade magazine images, I ran across a book on hand gestures.

Even a hairpin found its way into an empty spot.  More stamping completes the page.

I fussy cut the focal hand image, and sewed it, the dictionary page,

and a page from hand gestures to the middle of the book.

This is where I broke my first needle.  I suspect you can see where the thread tore.  The white marks were from the dead needle. 

This is Day 5 of 22 and I sewed a scrappy journal.  You can make one, too.  Even if you don't have a sewing machine, or don't sew, you could create one with bits and pieces using glue.  Remember, any and everything is acceptable in these books.  Nothing is off limits, as you saw. 

Bleubeard and I are thrilled you stopped by today. We hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Geometric Shapes hosted by Valerie.  


13 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You have been really busy, and your altered book is amazing. Sorry about the sewing machine, it's so frustrating when things like that happen. And thanks for including all the geometric shapes for my theme, much appreciated. Have a great day, stay safe, Valerie

J said...

Morning Elizabeth, looks like you’ve been having fun, my sewing machine doesn’t get much use, not sure when I last used it, drives me mad as the shuttle always sticks and I get annoyed, ha,ha,
I missed you at Friday smiles, I was wondering if you were having internet problems, or maybe you’ve been since and I missed you
Have a lovely Sunday
Jan x

aussie aNNie said...

I can't believe the things you come up with your imagination is extended so far, love this post and your sewing is awesome.xx

Iris Flavia said...

We all need a hand right now - and are afraid to touch it, so sad.
I cannot sew, but sorry you have these troubles!
Great work, it will always remind you of these weird times...

Meggymay said...

Your book is looking fantastic, with all the additions it must be so thick and hard to keep closed. All the better as it would be so tempting to see what was inside. I love how you used all the hand pictures and added geometric shapes for Valerie's theme.
I hope your sewing machine got a good talking to, mine never gets off the shelf these days its so moody.
\stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Fabulous journal. I am most impressed. I love all the hands and th stitching. I think your stitches looks great and even the little card/rectangle where the stitch broke looks super with the pieces and colors. You have some super leftover hand images and the page with old the old dictionary paper and the hand with the lamp really caught my eye. Nice recycling! Nice project too. Happy Sunday! Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful journal Elizabeth - I just love your stitching ! A wonderful cohesive project taking advantage of not just recycled papers, but also little bits and bobs like the bow and the hairpin. Very creative!

kathyinozarks said...

wonderful journal Elizabeth-I love using recycled products too Your journal is very fun-loving it

Divers and Sundry said...

Cool! So many different images, colors, and textures!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

These are great imaginative sites with all the leftovers! Fascinating to watch !!!
Greetings Elke

Jeanie said...

I always love seeing your creativity with this month. A whole journal -- you've been busy! And it shows. Well done.

Thanks so much for all your visits. Your visit and comments always mean so very much. They are especially bright lights these daya.

Karen said...

I went back and found part one ~ Very fun idea! Hands are definitely a beautiful body part we would be lost without. ~ Stay well & keep recycling!

Eileen Bergen said...

Some great embellishments & clever here, Elizabeth. The hairpin is genius! I'm going to see if I still have any around. Sadly, I didn't keep my leftover S&H Green stamps. Eileen xx