Monday, April 20, 2020

An Assemblage


Today everything is either recycled or repurposed with one or two exceptions.

I made a similar egg spoon last year or two years ago.  This time, I used lots of threads and moss to cushion the egg.

The column came from my house in Missouri.  I brought it with me when I moved here many years ago.  I left it on my porch for several years so it would weather.  A few days ago, I was in the process of cleaning the scruffy brush I used when I created the recent wood block.  Instead of throwing the paint and water from the brush in my flower bed, I ran it over the column.  I hadn't expected the watered down paint to do much, but to my surprise, when dry, the paint actually took in certain spots.

That's when I got the idea to color my egg with my blue handmade shimmering mist.

In addition to that, I colored the spoon with two colors of blue metallic rub-n-buff.

Once everything was dry and polished, I glued the spoon to the column using E6000.

I decided to show it on my work table in my craft room,

but set it on top of a used file folder so the background was less offensive.

I was really happy with the way this turned out,

even though the blues were all completely different.

I haven't decided if I'm going to seal the assemblage or not.  I like how weathered this looks and I think I'm going to hang it on my front porch once I remove the spring wreath I made the first of the month.

For Day 20 of 22, I recycled an old column from my home in Missouri, repurposed paint water from cleaning my scruffy brush, repurposed an old spoon that didn't match my silverware, repurposed a plastic egg, recycled left over vintage sheet music, and recycled left over sewing threads and turned them into a bird's nest.  What I didn't recycle: metallic rub-n-buff, handmade shimmering mist, and E6000.

I'm delighted you stopped by today.  I'm really trying to catch up with all my blogging friends, but it is harder than I imagined it would be.  Fear not, you are in my thoughts, even if it takes me awhile to visit you.  I'm still losing internet access, but I can usually get it back by rebooting my modem and router.  Although it takes time, at least I'm not offline for over half a day or longer, as has happened in the past few weeks.  I'm sure I don't say it enough, but I am extremely grateful for your support of my art and my blog, even when I am slow to return the visit and support.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a beautiful piece Elizabeth, the column is very graceful and looks charmingly vintage, well done. Sorry you are still 'losing it' - I mean your internet, of course. I'm just losing my marble! Have a safe day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I love that egg, and what a wonderful idea with the paint-water!!! I sure will look out for something I can try that on, too!
Well, yes, started with colors again...

This is a wonderful, great work!!!

Oh. I´m so darn sorry for your internet troubles, how can that even be??? Call Bill Gates by now, maybe? ;-)
Oh, that must be very frustrating!
Especially in these times where we "stay home"...

aussie aNNie said...

A lovely creation with gorgeous result, so love this..
Stay happy and safe.xx

craftytrog said...

I love this Elizabeth, it looks amazing!
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, struggling with RSI in my wrist. Trying to type with my left hand. So annoying 😡
Alison xx

Sami said...

The weathered column looks so pretty. And what a lovely idea to wrap the spoon with threads. Have a lovely week Elizabeth.

Karen said...

Very cool vintage piece ~ I like the "nest" for the egg in the spoon, makes for a pretty spring assemblage

CJ Kennedy said...

A wonderful and unusual piece. I love the shades of blue, too.

Birgit said...

This is so cool? I love what you did with that small column and the egg. At first I thought the egg was paper mache but love how you created this look. It will be nice to see the final picture where you placed it. Take care and stay safe!

Barbara said...

This is so interesting(!) and attractive, I love it! The different shades of blue help give it a special look. It’s great!

Halle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

This is such an amazing piece...I love every single thing about it!

Nancy said...

Unique and wonderful!

Cindy McMath said...

Fabulous assemblage! I love everything about it. The wonderful crackle on the paint is just amazing, and adding your watered down paint to it definitely enhanced the piece. Bravo!

Divers and Sundry said...

What a beautiful piece, and I know you'll enjoy displaying it on your front porch. The colors are subtle but stand out just enough. Nice!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

The end result is fantastic Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

Of all the pieces you have done, ever (that I've seen) this is hands down my very favorite. It is simply stunning with a magnificent vintage feel, a lot of power to it but softened by age and the nesting spoon. It's really striking, Elizabeth. You should put that baby into a gallery competition.

My name is Erika. said...

Beautiful assemblage. I love the effect of the blue! Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

I thought I had left a comment, it seems a few of my recent ones have gone walk about.
Anyway, this is a fabulous project, I love the look and how you created it. It has wonderful texture and awesome additions.
Take care of yourself.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

what a so so Wonderful Artpiece Elizabeth !! I love your recycled column, the colours are gorgeous, and this is a great idea to add a spoon with an egg inside, fantastic recyclying!
Very happy afternoon
Biig hugss, Caty

Words and Pictures said...

Completely magical! A glorious assemblage piece - the musical egg, nested in the spoon is wonderful in itself, and then that crackled mount with all it's crevices and corners is a superb framing background. Just amazing repurposing/recycyling - a joy! Thank you for your lovely long comment. I know I've got lots more catching up to do around here, and I will get to it very soon. I finally got around to picking up the gauntlet of my own challenge and my page spread will be up tomorrow, so I was just here to find your page and link it in my post - and I couldn't resist stopping to comment on this genius piece!
Alison x