Sunday, April 19, 2020

Mixed up music


It's time for another recycling project.  Of course, that also means I'm joining Valerie's Geometric Shapes theme at Art Journal JourneyAnd because Valerie is also the guest designer this fortnight at Try it on Tuesday, I've dug out a stencil, which is their theme.

You can see I've started with a used file folder that I will cut to size.  I still believe these file folders multiply while I'm not looking.  The vintage sheet music went through the basement flood and by all rights, should have been thrown in the trash.  However, sprayed with anti-fungal spray (the same type spray I use to disinfect everything that now comes into my home), I was able to salvage these pages.  On top of the sheet music is the stencil I will use, along with my molding paste and a spreader.   The "Smitten Dust" actually contains ephemera.  I just noticed that one image is totally hidden.

I started the step out process by cutting the used file folder to the size of the sheet music.  Just as I was about to take a photo of the sheet music attached to the file folder, my batteries died.  No problem, right?  I have more because I use rechargeable batteries.  Sadly, it was a problem because none of my AA batteries were charged.  So there are no more step out photos.

Once my journal page was complete, I thought it was best to show you the stencil I used.  This is a favorite of mine, but it was really, really difficult to clean the molding paste out of all those tiny cuts in the stencil.  Does anybody even remember cassette tapes?

I give you the completed entry I call Mixed up music.

I realize it's hard to read my handwriting. Under the music note is "Mixed up mix tape

plays music through the ages."

The mix tape is the middle cassette tape in the top row.

I love how each cassette tape design is completely different.

I thought this TH paper doll paired nicely with the theme.

I tried to balance him on the page number, but I fear he still floats in the air.

Here's a look at all nine cassette tapes.

For this page which is Day 19 of 22, I started with a used file folder, over which I glued a sheet of vintage sheet music.  When dry, I laid the stencil in place and used molding paste to fill in the holes.  When the molding paste was dry, I went over it with water soluble crayons.  Next I added the bugle boy.  Finally, I added the quaver, which is also called an 1/8 note (on the right) and the beam notes (the two quavers or two 1/8 notes joined together on the left), then the sentiment I wrote by hand in green ink and outlined using a black Zig pen.

As you can see, I recycled the file folder, the sheet music, and the two music notes.  What have you recycled today?

Bleubeard is sleeping right now, so I will thank each of you for stopping by today.  I hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Geometric Shapes as well as Try it on Tuesday's use of stencils.
 

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, great idea with the cassettes. I was so proud when I got my first cassette recorder back in the 1960s. Thanks for linking to my theme at AJJ. Have a safe day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh. I still have the note books I thought were cheapies but was told they belonged to my Grandfather. I never met him, he died when Dad was only 15.
But I learned to play the piano with those books - and forgot how to do it long ago.

This is some very, very beautiful work, I love it!!
A BIG WOW from here!
Wow.

Valerie-Jael said...

By the way, I did some recycling on my post last Wednesday!

J said...

Great work Elizabeth, I remember we bought our boys a tape recorder for Christmas and they spent half of Christmas behind the sofa taping our conversations!
Our Volvo was twenty years old and only had a tape deck in it, we only sold it last year, now we have a computer, I think we skipped a few generations of gadgets.
Jan x

Helen said...

it's true, you never seem to run out of those file folders! great recycling.

Karen said...

Great recycling ~ Yes I remember Cassettes and I can still hear them rewind!

Words and Pictures said...

Of course I remember cassette tapes - and the joy of receiving a mix tape from someone you like and finding how often their musical taste aligned with your own (or not!!). It's a great stencil, and the rainbow tinting of the texture paste is a brilliant idea. It looks great against the vintage music paper (fungal-free!), and the trumpeter is the perfect Paper Doll to celebrate the music with.
Alison x

My name is Erika. said...

I do remember cassette tapes. And even 8 tracks. Egads, that is bringing me back. I remember trading off tapes all the time. This is such a fun page! I can really use fun this morning. That cassette stencil is cool and I have never seen it. The colors you used make my heart flutter, and it is really good you could salvage the music sheets. I like how they are a little wrinkled as that is like the they are vintage-like cassette tapes. Thanks for sharing with us at Try It On Tuesday. Have a great Sunday. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Mix tapes! I remember how we used to curate them to swap with friends. How fun. Love your page and am glad you were able to salvage your sheet music. The water damage has given them a nice patina.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad you were able to save the music :) I not only remember cassettes, I remember 8-track tapes and turntables. I even remember 45s and 78s lol!

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. Cool stencil and cute boogie, woogie, bugle boy. Ok, he's from the wrong era, but that's what I thought of when I saw him. And he's anchored on the title. Enjoy your day

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page Elizabeth! Oh for the days of cassettes in cars! Thank you for joining us again at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic page and thank you for adding this to the TioT's theme as well as Valerie's AJJ theme. We really appreciate your support at tioT's.

The cassette stencil was super to use with the sheet music background. The bugle boy was a great addition as well, he looks a real happy young fellow.
Yes cassettes I remember them very well, even the ones that used to chew themselves up in the player machine and were impossible to rewind.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

coole idea journal page!
Greetings Elke

Mia said...

Of course I remember cassette tapes, Elizabeth!
Your page is gorgeous! Lovely mix of music notes and cassette tapes!
Hugs, sweetie!
And with my DT hat on:
Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Try it on Tuesday with this lovely creation. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards,
Mia
Designer for Try it on Tuesday
craftartista.blogspot.com {My Blog}

DVArtist said...

Ohhh you are sooo flippen cleaver and creative.

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning and most gorgeous colours here. I had that stencil and agree it's a pain to clean, think I gave it away..x

Birgit said...

These pages look like you dipped them in coffee so I’m so glad you recycled these. I like those cassette tape images in different colours and I still own and play cassette tapes!

Jeanie said...

This is really a wonderful page, Elizabeth. I love the colors on the music and that stencil is perfect for your theme, as is the vintage bugler. I like the flood marks on the music -- it really adds a wonderful vintage aging look.

RO said...

OMG - I just love this so much! I studied music as a kid and sang in bands as a teenager, and still find that music soothes me. I really enjoy this project a lot, and it's quite lovely! I also still have some cassettes around the hous too (lol) Hugs, RO

Caty said...

Gorgeous your musical Art page Elizabeth !! I looove it, and the stencil you have used is amazing. So beautiful musical notes!!
I wish you a very nice and happy afternoon,
Big hugs, Caty

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Elizabeth, love the cassette tape stencil which is perfect to use with the vintage music paper (and yes, I do remember them well)
Your little trumpeter boy looks great against the vintage background.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril x