Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Night on the town


Today I'm once again joining Eileen whose blog is The Artful Crafter.  She is our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her Green (the color) theme.   And because so many people thought my previous "green" was turquoise, I wanted to be sure this time there was no doubt this was green.  BTW. the turquoise/green ink pad I used in my previous post was by Stampin' up.  Please blame them for calling it green.  I also thought it was turquoise!


I call this Night on the Town.

The lovely lady and her dress are from a quilting magazine.  Believe it or not, this is a stunning photo of a quilt.  Isn't it lovely? 

I hope you can read the sentiment.



My handwriting is sad, but I'm sure you can tell it's where I got my post title.

I'm not sure you can tell the subtle background I created.

It may be easier to see here

and here.

Since I've often said I'm driven by color, I think you can see where I got the colors of the embellishments.

For this page, I began by creating one of my favorite backgrounds: 91% isopropyl alcohol and a green Staz-on reinker.  I created a few of these 110 lb card stock backgrounds the first week of the month.  I don't think I'll be making too many more of these for awhile, though, because I'll need to ration my alcohol until this COVID-19 has been put to bed.  Thankfully, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left, but there is none to be found in the stores. 


For the words, I started with paint chip samples from the hardware store that I sewed in place using green variegated thread.  The buttons were some I had been gifted.  I wanted the threads long and dangling to honor the quilt.  

Bleubeard and I are delighted that you stopped by today. We hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by the color Green.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhh. She would look great in our red-green kitchen! Beautiful!
Isn´t all our handwriting "bad" these days? We near to never do that.
Yes, that darn virus needs to get put down. In bed? In a grave?

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful page

Karen said...

your page turned out very pretty ~ I can't believe that's a quilt! that took someone lot's of planning and time to create. ~ Stay well

froebelsternchen said...

Wow.. what a found of a print .. unbelievable that this is a quilt! Gorgeous and I love how you draw all the attention to her so well! Perfect!

Stay healthy and take good care of you, fingers crossed as I hope your interent problems are fixed meanwhile!

Susi xxx

Darla said...

I like everything about this page. Great color, a very balanced layout and the added interest of the sewing. You knocked it out of the park my friend.

Barbara said...

Very nice layout! I love the addition of buttons, and green means spring, peaceful spring.

craftytrog said...

That's a beautiful image, and a wonderful composition Elizabeth! I love the buttons and stitching.
Hope you are keeping well,
Alison xox

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I've seen many a handy work with quilts over the years but this one is amazing !!!!! very nice ~~

hope this finds you and bleu and squiggles happee N healthee :) wavez two ewe doodz !! ☺☺♥♥

Jeanie said...

What a great graphic. Hard to believe it's a quilt! I loved how you incorporated your own sewing here. Stay well.

Divers and Sundry said...

Gorgeous! What a dress!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, someone made a fabulous quilt. And you made it into a fabulous quilt. That is my favorite green, and I just love to wear it. Now if only I looked as great as that woman on the quilt. Ha-ha. This is a super page for Eileen's challenge. Hope you are staying healthy and well. Hugs-Erika

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Very nice!!! And I could use a night on the town right about now but San Francisco is on lock down and no one can go out. Crazy! So, I have time to catch up on my blog reading.....

Sharon Madson said...

I had to tell you that this is absolutely beautiful! Love the bg, the sewing, the gorgeous lady, and the use of paint chip samples! This is an amazing piece of art, dear friend. I hope you are holding up through all this madness.

Rita said...

She looks quite glamorous, for sure.
Yah--I'd hang on to that alcohol for a while. ;)

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant, love it all.xx

Neet said...

Oh I love your lady. Do you mean the whole picture was on a quilt ie the lady too, or was the quilt the background to her? What a fabulous find if it was the whole thing and what a lovely picture it would make to hang on your wall.
A super idea to use paint chips for your words too.
Sorry about the isopropyl I was only thinking yesterday that I bet I can't get any now with this Corona thing going on. Will have to look at other ways of transferring.
Hugs & Stay safe you three
Neet xxx

Eileen Bergen said...

I noticed the turquoise rather than green on your last AJJ page, but thought it was a monitor problem on my side - lol. Phew!

Gorgeous page, Elizabeth. I love the composition, the image, the stitching and the greens that leave no doubt in anyone's mind. The red buttons are the perfect finishing touch.

Thanks for sharing this great page with us at AJJ.

Eileen xx

DVArtist said...

This is so pretty. I would love to own that green outfit.

Meggymay said...

Wow, she is a very glamorous woman I love the green gown she is wearing. The original quilt must have looked awesome but your page version is fabulous.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

This is lovely! I love the main image, all the lovely colours and of course your sewing!

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - she is gorgeous. What a cool background and I love the stitching. Fun project - it inspires me so thanks!!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Elizabeth! What a super background and such a striking image! A great page all round! Hugs, Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

Love the handwritten quote on the ombre green panels, and the green stitching is a treat - perfect for an image which was originally a quilt (unbelievable!) and such a glorious image too. I love the vibrant colours and her energy and elegance, and I'm so happy you gave it pride of place on this lovely page spread.
Alison x