Sunday, March 8, 2020

Monday Murals: found at a tax office


I'm delighted to be back from my month of hosting Art Journal Journey and am delighted to be playing in Monday Murals.  I've really missed this fun weekly event.  Today I'm once again joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and, as I mentioned before, her Monday Murals.  Although I'm posting at my regular time, please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 11:01 a.m. my time.

I was sure I was going to find information on this mural

that looked like several people might have created it, although most of the words and lettering look like they came from one person.

It appears all the women are honored in some way for their Latino heritage and influence on whoever the artist(s) was/were.

Unfortunately, I could find nothing on the internet.

WSU stands for Wichita State University, my final alma mater.

Although I already had this post ready, I suddenly realized today, March 8, 2020

is International Women's Day.  It's a day to celebrate women's achievements, while increasing visibility and denouncing inequality.  According to their website:
An equal world is an enabled world. How will you help forge a gender equal world?
Celebrate women's achievement. Raise awareness against bias. Take action for equality.
Perhaps Josephina is the artist.

All these women had created a legacy for themselves.

Note the Wichita Kansas flag with the added airplane in it.  This mural sits on the side of the Confidential Tax Service building at 2105 N Broadway, Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World. And help women celebrate International Women's Day while you're at it.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a fun and interesting piece, thanks for sharing, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

A fantastic mural and it fits International Women's Day perfectly Elizabeth!

Happy Sunday!
Susi xxx

Meggymay said...

That is an wonderful mural to share with us on International Women's Day, created by very talented artist or artists I d and o hope it was women who created this.
Hope you have a good day rest of the weekend.
Yvonne xx

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Elizabeth. I was never aware my Dad was born on Woman´s Day.
You made me smile with this fact, thank you.

The last woman must be found somewhere in our kitchen as a magnet!

I do not believe we will have an equal world soon. At least not in Germany.

Sami said...

A great mural that fits well with International Women's day. Love the chihuahua on the bottom corner :)
Great find Elizabeth, and thanks for participating.

Caty said...

Great post Elizabeth !! And great mural for today, International Women´s day.We continue to work for equality.
Happy Sunday, and biig hugs,
Caty

Nancy said...

An interesting mural and tribute to the educational leaders. You're right, more of the story would be a plus. I was going to ask you about the flag, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful mural celebrating women. Poignant, too, as Rosalind Walter, the real Rosie the Riveter passed away this week.

My name is Erika. said...

What a fun and stand out way to celebrate National Women's month (or is it day?). I am guessing these women, or most of them are local and that is even better. My head is still a bit fuzzy from whatever it is that has me under the weather right now. I will let you know I am all caught up at AJJ-again-let's hope I keep improving and stay healthy. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the mural, but in the wake of Elizabeth Warren's showing in the primary I'm not feeling the #InternationalWomensDay love :(

Mae Travels said...

I wonder if that's a project by a high school or college art class. I've seen other examples by classroom collaborations, and it's amazing how beautifully those kids can paint when there's a good instructor leading them. In any case it's a very interesting mural.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...fabulous mural for International Women's Day!

Karen said...

Happy International Women's Day ~ You've given me another blog to follow and get creative inspiration from around the world! thank you friend ~

kathyinozarks said...

You find the neatest murals Elizabeth-and very fun that it is also International Women's Day-thanks for sharing with us

Rita said...

You have more murals in your town than anywhere, I think!
This one is very original. :)

Bertiebo said...

That's an interesting one
Especially on this day

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely murials.x

magiceye said...

Interesting art work!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I wish I could read Spanish because I am sure these women have broken a glass ceiling somewhere and it would be worth knowing about. I actually am coming over from Rains Art Date because I have been so busy lately that I am doing comments when I can ... but I was afraid if I put it on your Thursday post you wouldn't know it was there so I came up here. You have some awesome eye pics and the artwork at the art fair is mind boggling ... some of those pieces I would love to have in my home. And, the kitty books ... tell me about them. I love cats and, in fact, have a Russian Blue like your Bleubeard, along with 3 marmalade cats, one of which is a brother to my Russian Blue. So from the start, we have much in common. It was certainly a pleasure visiting you ... looking forward to future visits.

Andrea @ From The Sol

DVArtist said...

Really fabulous mural. The power of women. Yesss!

Jeanie said...

What a perfect post for Women's Day. And quite an accomplishment as a mural!

Bill said...

The perfect mural for International Women's Day! Very nice indeed.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a good one to share … many thanks.

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

What an amazing mural! Thank you for sharing it Elizabeth. xx

betty-NZ said...

What a great tribute to women!


Feel free to share at My Corner of the World