Saturday, February 1, 2020

Hearts


Welcome.  Bleubeard and I would like to begin by welcoming our newest co-administrator, our dear friend Erika, who many of you know as BioArtGal.  With the addition of Erika, along with Yvonne, Bleubeard, and myself, you can be assured Art Journal Journey, one of your favorite challenge blogs, will live on for years to come.  Please welcome Erika to our AJJ family.

This month Bleubeard and I are your hosts at Art Journal Journey.  Our theme is Hearts.  Who doesn't love hearts?  Even I, the person who can't draw or sketch anything (and don't care to, either), can draw a heart.  This is the simplest of all shapes, yet we need one to live.  This might be why we often use them in our art.

I created this mosaic to show you various ways to use hearts in your art this month.

One way to use them is to add them to existing art.

Another way is to layer them, especially when tissue and napkins are involved.

You can layer them over collage art, especially if you are trying to hide the art or image in the background.

They can be added to photos,

used in drawings

as well as collage fodder,

and used as a stencil.

For this page, I started with a sheet of heavy scrapbook paper to which I added six mosaics.  I also added strips of scrapbook paper.  I was trying to keep the colors warm, focusing primarily on oranges and browns.  I used the greens as my accent color.

I hope this has given you inspiration to use hearts in some way in your art journals this month, too.  And remember, in art journaling (especially this month), words are not required.  Just hearts.  Please join Erika, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey as we make art from the Heart. Be sure you link only journal pages, though.  No tags, ATCs, ATCoins, or 3-D art allowed.

20 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

love ♥ and ♥ your amazing pages here just gorgeous.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun them, lots of great ideas, too. Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful idea! So sad I´m not creative, but I´ll keep it in mind - it makes this "ugly" month a lot better, too!

Let's Art Journal said...

So pleased to hear that Erika has joined your team, many congratulations! This is such a fabulous theme for February and I'm loving your heart filled collage too 😁. Happy February! Hugs, Jo x

nwilliams6 said...

Love the various ways you used hearts. Super inspiring and fun!!! I can't wait to do a page!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely art journal page Elizabeth, and a great theme choice.

My name is Erika. said...

I love this mosaic. It has so many interesting images on it to look at. It's a super start to a month of all that the heart stands for. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the sampler you made for creative ways to use a heart.

kathyinozarks said...

I love your collage and sampler too for a perfect theme for February-Hearts will be fun to journal with Hugs Kathy

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth and Bleubeard.
What a good set of suggestions, with illustrations, on where and how to use hearts. Lots of inspiration here. Also a lot of great ideas on how to make art if you can't or don't want to draw.
I like your idea of adding hearts to existing art, as shown by the man with the yellow shirt.
I'm going to enjoy this month.
Love, Sheila

Divers and Sundry said...

February is the perfect month to highlight hearts. What a lot of ways you found to include them in your art!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

These are charming. I especially love the heart atop one of the stalks of wheat that looks like it's "blowing in the wind."

DVArtist said...

OK you asked who doesn't like hearts. Uhh yeah not my favorite. However, you did a fabulous job in expressing a feeling with your art today.

Jeanie said...

I love the mosaic, Elizabeth, and it's a wonderful theme for February. I'll look forward to all the art shared on this one!

Meggymay said...

A fabulous inspirational mosaic page for your theme at AJJ, you have shared so many great ideas Elizabeth and I am sure Bleaubeard is purring and would be saying Wow, if he could talk.
Yvonne xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

a beautiful page, fabulous!!!!
Have a good Day, Elke

Rita said...

Perfect for February! :)

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely theme and great page. Perfect for Valentine’s month.

craftytrog said...

A fabulous collaged composition Elizabeth, and a great new theme!
Alison xx

Julia Dunnit said...

I LOVE the way you’ve inspired different ways to use and display hearts, and how marvellous your collage! You know I’m not a AJer, but I’m loving the ideas, always translatable, huh!