Friday, January 31, 2020

Friday Smiles 356: The Bowls


Today I'm joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles.  I want everyone to know that I will be on hiatus at Friday Smiles through the entire month of February.  I will be back with more Smiles on Friday, March 8.

I want to begin by sharing my completed January calendar.  Several people in their comments when I showed the blank pages, called it a planner.  To me, a planner is something with lists and things you wish, hope, or plan to do in the future, specifically on a date you have marked on or in your planner.  I use this as a calendar, and document what I have done each day, as boring as it may be.  I seldom fill the day in until the end of the day and I know what has happened in said boring life.

Even though my scanner is obviously on its last leg, it is still easier to scan the completed pages than it is to photograph them.

Sadly, it requires two scans since this calendar is so much bigger than those I've used in the past.

Next, I want to share a few things I DO plan doing this weekend.

For the first time in many years, I am actually excited about the Super Bowl.  The fact the Kansas City Chiefs made it this far puts a smile on my face.  They have such a great new quarterback and in my opinion, got cheated during the playoffs last year by a bad call.  This will be Super Bowl 54 and it's been 50 years since the Chiefs were in a super bowl.  Fans around the world will watch, because this is truly an international event.  I normally watch for the commercials, but this year I'll be rooting for the Chiefs.  BTW, this real football, or what others call American football, not soccer.

A bit of trivia.  Joe Montana was the San Fransisco 49ers starting quarterback for many years.  However, when he got too old to win in San Fransisco, he was traded to the Chiefs.

If you live in the states, the Superbowl starts at 6:30pm ET / 3:30pm PT / 5:30pm CT on Sunday February 2. If you're viewing from the UK you'll be staying up a little later and tuning in at 11:30pm GMT.  In the states, it will be shown on Fox.

But there's plenty of time before the game to indulge in even more fun.

On Saturday night before the game, if you live in the states, get revved up by cheering in the

second annual Cat Bowl.  You will find this on the Hallmark Channel, which is unfortunately a premium channel.

Get up early Sunday morning and check to see if Punxsutawney Phil, America's favorite weather forecaster, sees his shadow.  Every year on February 2, many in the states eagerly wait for Phil’s appearance and his weather prediction.  Legend has it that if Phil sees his shadow, six more weeks of winter will follow.  Will your groundhog (aka woodchuck) see his shadow?

On Sunday, before the big game, again if you live in the states,

you can join me for Kitten Bowl 7.  It is also only shown on the Hallmark Channel.  Hallmark does this every year in hopes these kittens and cats will be adopted.  One year (either last or two years ago), while one group of kittens was on the field, the referee called a time out.  I think it was Beth Stern who came out on the field and picked up one of the kittens.  It had been adopted during the game and the new forever family was there to pick it up.  What could be more touching?  If that doesn't tug at your heart, I don't know what will.

But wait.  That's not all.

Every year for the past 15 years, the Puppy Bowl has been played prior to the Super Bowl.   This year, Puppy Bowl 16 will be played on Animal Planet, another premium U.S. channel.  According to People:
Puppy lovers can expect to see special needs dogs, Colombian canines, celebrity-backed rescues and more on the field this year, cheered on by hamsters, pygmy goats, armadillos and kittens.
Before the big game on Sunday Feb. 2 at 3PM ET/12PM PT on Animal Planet, get to know a bit about “aww”-inducing athletes that make up the starting lineup.
If all these Bowls didn't make you smile, maybe some of these cuties will that I found on the internet.


















I hope a few of those made you smile.  They did me.  I hope this will keep you smiling while I'm on Friday Smiles hiatus.

It's now time to see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  Then I'll see you again at Friday Smiles on March 8.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Have a fun weekend with all your bowls. Thanks for sharing all the animal pics. Happy Friday, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, lucky you! It´s in the middle of the night when the Super Bowl is on!
So sad, I´d sooo love to watch.
Yes, I hate that, too, when people mix up this wonderful sport with stupid soccer!

Oh, time for the movie again - Phil, don´t give us a winter, no shadows, please!

I´ve never heard of the Kitten Bowl, what a sweet idea!
(See? This would never happen with stupid soccer!).

Thank you for the smiles to the end :-)

Annie said...

Enjoy your break and we will look forward to your return in March. Really love the animal pics.
Hugs,
Annie x

Meggymay said...

This sounds like you are going to have a good and exciting weekend. I would love to see those cats and puppies playing in real life, the photos were great and did give me a reason to smile at them this morning. Oh boy those kitties do have attitude.
Have a good day and enjoy the game.
Yvonne xx

Lisca said...

Sounds like you are going to have a great weekend. I hope for your sake that your team wins. I won't be watching as we don't have tv. And I don't think it is a popular sport in Spain and might not be transmitted.
Puppy and cat bowl! I had to smile at that. I can just imagine these cute animals running after a bal. But I bet (especially cats) would have no respect for the rules. It will be entertaining to watch though.
Thanks for all the cute and funny animal pics. Several of them were not visible to me, but not to worry,what i saw was wonderful.
I do hope Phil does not see his shadow and you will have a mild remainder of the winter.
Have a fun weekend And may the best team win... wait a second. No! May the Kansas City Chiefs win!
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

Its a busy weekend ahead, isn't it? But before I get to that I want to say I like your new calendar and it's format. The question is do you like working in this format better. And I love all the fun photos this morning. That orange cat with the toilet paper could be the cat I used to have. He loved to shred our toilet paper and drag it all over the house. Oh I miss him. There's no super bowl hype around here this year as you know. Not sure who I am rooting for, although Mahone is fun to watch. But I will watch. Hope you have a great start to your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sounds like you've got a busy weekend to look forward to. I must say I still watch the Groundhog Day film now and then, it's such a happy film unlike some of the stuff that's made now. The cat funnies definitely made me smile they do such crazy things. Wishing you a very happy weekend, Angela xXx

craftytrog said...

Love all the animal pics Elizabeth! Hope you have a great weekend!
Alison xx

Sami said...

Enjoy the Super Bowl! Love all the cat and dog funny photos.
Have a great weekend Elizabeth :)

CJ Kennedy said...

We're not in the Super Bowl this year. Most likely, we'll be rooting for Jimmy G and the 49'ers because he was one of ours before he went to San Francisco. I wish I got the Hallmark channel to watch the Cat and Kitten Bowls. And I loved all all your cat funnies today. Especially so that's coffee! 😺 Have a good day.

Jeanie said...

Some of those cats have Lizzie faces (without the moustache!)I love your calendar and get the dif on being a planner and in a way a journal of key moments, events, accomplishments, news, feelings. It's a good idea. Easier than journals where you write the whole thing because it is so doable.

I LOVE the kitten bowl. Lizzie sometimes gets into it. I try to set her in front of it with me and sometimes it tracks, sometimes not. I need to make sure the Toddler Twosome know about it. I bet they'd like it! And super cool when animals are adopted. Less into the football but I can see why you might have a vested interest this year! Have fun!

mamapez5 said...

I love your calendar but to me it is a diary. But "that which you cal a rose by any other name etc..." And you do very well if you keep it up all year!

the Superbowl leaves me cold. I haven't a clue what is going on and it is shown much too late on our TV. My hubby sometimes sits up to watch though.

I love all the animal photos. I wish my fur babies would sit and pose for the camera like that. They all turn their heads when they see me coming.
have a good week. Kate x

Divers and Sundry said...

I always used a calendar and a planner in the same way, defining the difference in the physical form of it rather than how it was used. I called it a diary when I put in it what I'd already done. To me, what you have is a diary in calendar form. I wonder if that's a regional difference? Whatever we call them, you've found a wonderful system that works for you :)

I love that January snowman!

I'm not much of an American football fan, though I'll watch it if it's on :) I'm more of a fan of _real_ ;) football where they use their feet on a ball-shaped ball lol We have fun with the "foot"ball discussion at out house.

Right now I'm caught up in the impeachment trial, where there apparently won't be _any_ witnesses. *sigh*

Have a fun weekend!

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome post Elizabeth-I will be watching the super bowl as well, and I feel the same the chiefs were cheated last time from a bad call.
I will be watching the cat and kitten bowls too-too fun. and I loved all of your kitty funnies and photos-Go Chiefs.
and its also groundhog day and second on the 2nd-busy day for sure.
hugs Kathy

Rita said...

Oh my! So funny!! :)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. I just noticed your comment about the cost of the meal. As it's all included in the cost of the holiday I don't really tend to notice it but it's about £38.50 in English money. She puts the price on the menu as they are open to the public too. I actually think if we went out somewhere in the UK and had the same type of four course meal it might cost even more. I think but I might be wrong that this would be cheaper in America. Sending you wishes for a happy weekend, Angela xXx

RO said...

Isn't it such fun to look at animal pics. They truly bring a smile to the faces of so many. I see you and I both wrote in Kobe's passing on January 27. I wrote in every planner I have because it still feels unreal. I'm soooooo embarrassed and sorry that I called you so early, and had forgotten about the time difference. I definitely won't make that mistake again!(lol) Like you, I'm getting ready for the Superbowl and love that the Chiefs are in it because of Mahomes, but also because we're friends with former Chiefs running back Theotis Brown via my son and his son, and you know I loved it so much in Overland Park. Also, football is my thing! Like you, I'm also looking forward to the fun of the commercials. No special meals. Just cheeseburgers, and chips and salsa and guac. GO Chiefs! Hugs, RO

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, I think your calendar is fun - filling one in after the event makes for a permanent record of everyday without being a full blown journal. Groundhog day is one of my most favourite films - we watch it every year on the day. I enjoyed all those photos of the cats and dogs - some of the expressions on their faces are hilarious, though I'm a bit concerned for the dog being threatened with a knife. Enjoy your hiatus. xx