Sunday, January 19, 2020

Steampunk?


I want to thank those of you who left kind words and messages for me during my recent illness.  This is the first time in over six years I haven't posted daily.  As my friend Scott, who was diligent in keeping me hydrated and OFF the internet said, "the world didn't stop when you didn't post."  He was right, of course, but I felt I let a lot of people down.  For that I apologize.

Since I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, I thought I would share another Art Journal Journey entry using Jo's from Let's Art Journal theme which is Something New.  I actually started this before I got sick and finished it tonight.

I'm not sure you can see the plastic, which is #6 that I normally save to use instead of the higher priced shrink plastic.  It is about six inches square (6 sq inches, or 15,24 sq centimeters).  Today, I'm not shrinking it.  Instead, I'm creating a new technique.

I also have a never before inked set of red rubber stamps my dear friend Chris sent me that she bought at Paper Artsy.

You can see I'd already inked this

and this before I decided to show the stamps.

Next I decided to color the reverse side, but my handmade shimmering mists didn't cover that side like I thought they would.  I knew I couldn't use a heat tool to speed the process along, so it was one of those hurry up and wait situations.

I decided to grab an image and some lace.  I laid the pieces out on the reverse side (the side that had the now dry mists).  I hated it.  I had to come up with something new.

I wanted to tape the image and lace to the page, but I didn't like how it looked.

That's when I grabbed some acrylic craft paint and covered over the side I had stamped before.

Back to the drawing board and out with the new stamps once again.

Once more with the large image, but this time I chose a smaller image to offset the large one.

In case you are confused, I have turned the plastic over and have stamped the reverse side to what I had stamped previously.

After numerous mistakes and setbacks, 

this is what the "front" side looked like with the tape on it.

This is the reverse side.  Perhaps you can see a bit of lace showing through the bottom right.

I'm finally pleased with how it turned out, but I had to rethink the project several times.  Once I almost gave up, but now I'm glad I persevered.

Thanks so much for joining me today with this brand-new-to-me project I created for Art Journal Journey.  I hope to see you there, too. 

21 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Good to see you back; glad you are feeling better. I had assumed it was your internet connection that was to blame again.
Well done for your perseverance with this, plastic is notoriously had to work with and I would not have thought of using sprays to colour it with.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh! I, too, thought it´s your internet again - sorry to hear you were sick instead!
Glad, also to learn you´re better now :-)
Interesting techniques!

Cindy McMath said...

Oh this is great! I didn’t know you were sick - I thought it was still your internet. Glad you are feeling better.

This reminds me of an old technique that involved putting gold leaf on the back of an image stamped on plastic (or a transparency). Wonderful technique and collage.

Valerie-Jael said...

Good to see you back and experimenting again, and good that you rested a few days. None of us is obliged to post daily, blogging is supposed to be fun and so us good! Have a great week, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Amazing technique! Thanks for the tutorial.
Have a great day xx

craftytrog said...

Good to see you back Elizabeth, I wondered where you were, and I'm glad you're feeling better.
I love how your experiment turned out, it looks great.
Best wishes,
Alison x

CJ Kennedy said...

Glad you’re feeling so much better. Your experiment turned out great.

DVArtist said...

Hey taking care of yourself is the most important thing and you did not let anyone down. I am very happy that you are feeling better and are able to create this beauty.

Caty said...

I´m so glad to read you´re better now Elizabeth !! I think like your friend, the world doesn´t stop when we are ill, we have to recover and then we can continue with our life. Take care of yourself dear friend.
I have to say that I have enjoyed your experiment, it´s fabulous to see the way you decide it may be. The result is wonderful, I like very much those stamps, and the image and the lace on the other side are so beautiful. Great !
I wish you a very nice new week, and send biig hugs,
Caty

My name is Erika. said...

I was worried about you and wondering what had happened. I couldn't image your internet had been out for that many days. (I stopped by your blog several times and still T day was there.) But the good news is that you are feeling better and even though we worried you let yourself get better. And you must be feeling good enough to make something new with a new technique. Those are awesome stamps from Chris. And nice page. I love this cool technique you used. Please take care of yourself, that is definitely far more important than blogging. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I've been missing you and am happy to see you back. It's fascinating to see work on both sides, and I look that little peek of lace :)

Let's Art Journal said...

So glad to see you back here in blogland and I hope you are feeling much better! Your new stamps look amazing, I love the images and your double-sided page look fabulous 😀. Thanks so much for joining Art Journal Journey with your beautiful new stamp set! Sending you get well wishes! Hugs, Jo x

kathyinozarks said...

So glad you are feeling better and back online-I agree with your friend Scott-You come first always-we will always be here when you are back-hugs
Interesting technique-came out pretty cool too-hugs Kathy

Eileen Bergen said...

I knew that you took quite ill suddenly last week, Elizabeth. It was SO unlike you that I've been worried. Please listen to Scott and your doctors.

I love this post because you shared how sometimes even you struggle with a technique or page. In the end, you pulled it off beautifully!

Eileen xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Interesting technique and great die page! Have fun trying out the stamps!!!
Nice that you are better again!!!
hugs Elke

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wise words from Scot! T says the same to me if I start saying that I MUST post! I do so love you journal page! Glad the stamps had an outing!!(grin) Off to bed now! Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

Sorry I 'm late calling and so pleased to read that you are feeling a bit better, Scott is a good friend and gives you support.
I liked the techniques you used and those new stamps, it is a fabulous page.
Yvonne xx

Words and Pictures said...

That's really clever with the reverse stamping creating the layered imagery on the plastic - what a fabulous steampunk image, and it goes really well with those wonderful Lynne Perrella images. Very cool!
Alison x

Jeanie said...

What is it they say about mistakes or challenges turned into opportunities? I think you did just that here with good results. Glad you are on the upswing. Those long recoveries are so hard.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's amazing how we feel when we can not get online to support those that support us in our art. I apologise for not being around as I've been suffering severe migraine and advised by the Doctor to stay offline for as long as possible, but the guilt is still there. Glad you are feeling somewhat better now & that you had someone looking out for you... see the world kept turning didn't it!
Beautiful choice of stamp set, stamping onto acetate creates an alternative way to use our stamps. When the background is painted it really gives those images an antique look. I Love seeing when people create outside their comfort zone. A grand piece of art work.
Take good care of yourself now Hugs Tracey xx

Rike said...

The good news is that you are feeling better!
Your experimenting with the new stamps on a different background - not a paper - is very interesting!
You almost gave up but finally the page is created in a new way out of your comfort zone and you got an unconventional result.