Sunday, January 5, 2020

Monday Murals:Aztec Art.


I've been playing with Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals off and on since late August.  I don't feel I have joined in enough to write a yearly review, so that will come next year.  Although I'm posting at my regular time, please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 10:01 a.m. my time.


I heard about this mural from a friend who saw a newspaper article on it.

I had no idea it was this large.

It's winter here in the U.S. midwest and very dark on the north side of this building.

The low hanging sun didn't help with these images, either.




This is closer to the correct colors of the mural.

This mural was created on the north wall of the Evergreen Recreation Center at 25th and Arkansas in Wichita, Kansas (USA). Two artists from Columbia, Ivan Salazar and Felipe Ortiz, created the mural with their interpretation of Aztec designs.

This mural was funded by a grant from the Knight Foundation, the Kansas Creative Industries Commission, and Humanities Kansas.  This is a City of Wichita sponsored mural and has nothing to do with Avenue Art Days, which I have mostly focused on in the past.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic mural. Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

another wonderful mural-that is wonderful to have so much art near you kathy

Iris Flavia said...

Always hard when the light is not your friend...
But it came out well, too!
I just cannot see if they scream or laugh at each other, I hope for the latter :-)

Sami said...

I can make out some faces in that mural. I like the colours and shapes.
Thanks for contributing Elizabeth.

Buba said...

nice post, Happy New Year :) I follow you on gfc # 772 ,follow back?

https://bubasworld.blogspot.com/

DVArtist said...

Wow this one has such rich and bold colors. Very nice indeed.

CJ Kennedy said...

The bright colors really pop out against the drab Winter background

Mae Travels said...

The Aztec echoes elude me in this mural, though I like the colors and shapes.

Have a great New Year — I look forward to your mural posts in 2020.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how it fills the space with such great color. Nice design.

Tom said...

...murals on the north side are so difficult to photograph! Is it just me or do I see a lot of angry faces? Particularly in today's political mess, it's refreshing to see a bit diversity!

Jeanie said...

It seems a little scary to me. I know you go with the wall that's flat but a shame this work can't be more in the light.

My name is Erika. said...

It is beautiful and I was wondering what the designs represented. I can see the Aztec feel to it. I like the colors too. This is like a real piece of art-well I know murals are real art-but more of something that would make a great museum wall. Thanks for sharing. Hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

As you know, I love murals. I particularly enjoy all the blues in this.
Hope 2020 is as fabulous as you, dear Elizabeth.

Rita said...

I do like the vibrant colors but it is on the creepy side for me--LOL! But still better than a blank wall. ;)

s.c said...

The faces are aztec but it is difficult to see.

Anonymous said...

this is a great graffiti art post. It's like Native American forms met up with Picasso.

Meggymay said...

The mural looks good it would sure make me stop to take a closer look, but then it would be hard to miss it looks so big. Great colours as well, it must have taken hours to complete this one.
Yvonne xx

dee Nambiar said...

This mural is in a very interesting style.
It's fun trying to interpret it. :)

Happy 2020 to you. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

What a wonderful mural, thanks for sharing it here.

All the best Jan

Tanya Breese said...

Really neat mural!