Saturday, January 4, 2020

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies: ConAir


I'm back after a month long hiatus.  My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.  As I've said in the past, I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  Some I've even seen more than once!  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films.   They are often hilarious, many times irreverent, but always really fun to read.  Her synopses are not to be missed. If you aren't familiar with her movie reviews, please check out her blog.  I assure you, you won't be disappointed and will probably come away either laughing or smiling.

One thing you should know about my choice is you won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.  However, true love actually guides this slightly irreverent and sarcastic action film that had me laughing more than anything else.



I'm suggesting ConAir as my film choice this week for a great Saturday afternoon at the movies.

IMDb has a great page of summaries and synopses.  If you aren't familiar with the film, I suggest you start there.  It's action packed, full of suspense, and over-the-top absurd.  The main characters are Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, and John Malkovich.  There are lots of big name stars in this pure 1990s film.  It grossed a lot more money than it spent, despite the number of things that were blown up or (supposedly) damaged, including part of the Las Vegas strip.   If you like razor sharp one-liners, you might actually like this one.

Thanks for visiting today and joining me for Saturday afternoon at the movies.  I believe you can find ConAir on Amazon Prime and cable television, which is where I have seen it several times.

11 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Not for me again! Sorry about your electricity again, that must be bad. Have a great day, Valerie

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, yes - another Con Air fan here... I'll watch anything with John Cusack in, and though Nic Cage is often rather weird and wild, I think he's wonderful in this - and with a twinkle in the eye which suggests he doesn't take himself too seriously. (I also like him in City of Angels - he definitely seems other-than-human - and not just in that film!)

So sorry to hear about your electricity adventures - what a horrible thing, but how lovely to have a friend on hand to scoop you up and take you somewhere light and warm. I hope you can heat up the house soon.
Hugs,
Alison x

Iris Flavia said...

I once have seen that movie, and I like Nicolas Cage (didn´t he also play in "The Weatherman"?).
I think I will have to see some prison-movies as I followed your advice and visited Birgit.

It was a woman and her adult daughter who set off the ballons that killed the poor animals in the German zoo. They reported themselves and maybe they will have to take some consequences (I think in the end, rather not).
They felt "sorry".
I wonder how dumb or mindless some people can just be.

Sorry to hear about your electricty just yet again, it must be so frustrating!

CJ Kennedy said...

Great pick for a Saturday afternoon. And now I'll be singing He's Got the Whole World in His Hands...😺

Mia said...

I am a fun of Nicholas Cage, Elizabeth. Thank you for your suggestion. Kisses!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never heard of this one, but I'm impressed by the cast.

kathyinozarks said...

Great choice Elizabeth, I Loved this movie and have seen it several times-not lately though-I could watch it again allot of interesting personalities in this one with great actors

pearshapedcrafting said...

Great film choice - three brilliant actors! I love John Cusack although my favourite film with him starring is 'Serendipity' (now, there's a word I love) but its probably too smaltzy for you! I'm pleased you now have power, its good that your friends could help you out! I do believe I am just about caught up now( here at least!) Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

Your power story was quite the story. Man, if it isn't one thing it's another. Glad you are back and hope no more power loss for a long long time! I'm trying to remember the details of this film. I don't remember it with John Cusack, but he is obviously in it. I've got to check it out again as it has been a long time since I've seen it. They are all great actors. Have a great rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great Christmas and new year's eve even if you went to bed early. This movie is hilarious and so dumb that I love it. First, Nicholas cage as a wanna be hero like Stallone or the Schwarz. Malcovitch eats up every scene and Steve Buscemi is excellent in his small part. A fun time to sit back, let the brain rest and watch this flick tear up Vegas. Yes, this is Birgit

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, I have seen Con Air …

Sorry about your electricity, appreciated reading about it on the low carb diabetic blog.

All the best Jan