Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Night Before Christmas


This was a spur of the moment addition to Yvonne's theme at Art Journal Journey which is Words and Numbers.

It won't be long until Christmas is here.  Bleubeard has called all his friends who have now gathered around the fire (on Christmas eve) while 1 of the friends read "The Night Before Christmas."

A total of 8 friends

gathered around the

fire on

Christmas eve,

while 1 read

from this book called

"The Night Before Christmas."

I added little white spots

on many of the animals.  I also added balls to the swag gracing the fireplace.

My white gel pen didn't much care for this slick postcard weight paper.



I really hated when I tried to write the words on the book.  Or maybe it was just me not being able to write small!

I began by adding a sheet of Christmas holly scrapbook paper to the 110 lb. substrate.  I cut the 12 X 12 inch (30,48 X 30,48 centimeter) paper to 8.5 X 11 inch (21,59 X 27,94 centimeter), the same size as the substrate.  Originally I had planned to sew everything, then decided against it.  There was enough confusion with this piece anyway without adding thread to the mix.  The central image was a Christmas postcard sent to my friend Sally by "Chewy," an online company that sells all types of pet products.  I added a slew of white dots and the dark red balls on the fireplace swag, in addition to the words on the book.  I wrote the sentiment on leftover red copier/printer paper, then adhered the cut words to lime green copier/printer paper.  This was one of those measure twice, cut once mistakes.  Once I had all the words assembled, I realized I didn't have enough room for everything.  Unfortunately, I had no more lime green or red scraps, so I had to make due with what I had.

I thought I would share the remains of our "big" snow.

Much has already melted and turned to ice as the sun began to set.

It is bitterly cold here, too.  Of course, it's not pretty here like the photos I've seen of my friends back east.  Their snow is lovely.  Mine, not so much.

Thank you beyond belief for joining Bleubeard, his friends, and me this Christmas eve.  We hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey.


10 thoughtful remarks:

Lowcarb team member said...

That's such a cute looking page …
Brrr, it does look rather cold around your way - stay as warm as you can.
Happy Holidays.

All the best Jan

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Happy Christmas Elizabeth, your page is just like my home right now. It's been like it for a couple of weeks full of friends and family with more expected early morning.Like a child i'm not sure I will sleep tonight hee hee!
Wishing you a wonderful day and although you say it's not as pretty as your friends snow, I think it looks quite magical. Hugs Tracey xx

kathyinozarks said...

Merry Christmas Elizabeth-and Bleubeard. I loved your page and story-really sweet-wow you must have gotten a bunch of snow-we had allot of ice here, the garbage truck didn't even come by last week-we are warm in the 60s almost 70 tomorrow-pretty crazy.
I am feeling a bit lonely tonight so am glad you dropped by and I am listening to some Christmas music-hugs Kathy

Meggymay said...

I love the cute images you used on this page Elizabeth and I am thrilled you created it for the theme. You are a wizz with this style of layered page.
I hope Santa called in last night and I hope your snow melted away.
Yvonne xx

Nancy said...

Cartoon characters always draw me in! These are especially cute with their expressions. Oh the snow and cold... I remember some of your posts from last winter months about the frigid temps. Stay warm and keep creating!

Divers and Sundry said...

Daddy used to read us that story on Christmas Eve. Sweet :)

Snow! We're already at 69F here. One of our warmest Christmases on record.

My name is Erika. said...

I guess you had a white Christmas. but the bitter cold is NOT a good thing in any form. That is such a fun Christmas Eve page Elizabeth. Those critters are all adorable. I bet Bleubeard enjoyed them visiting and also listening you read the story. I hope it was a wonderful Christmas Eve and no creatures were stirring, unless of course Bleubeard and Squiggles would have like to catch a mouse. Smile. Hugs-Erika

Darla said...

This is a really fun page. Things look very cold at your place. Snow is pretty in pictures but I'm not fond of it in person.

Caty said...

Gorgeous your Art page Elizabeth !! Love the so funny story, and all the details you have added, just sweet and amazing.
I can´t believe you have got all this snow !! It´s a beautiful view !! Wish we had some snow here (smile-- too hot here! ) That´s fabulous .
I wish you a very nice and Happy week, with all my best wishes for 2020 !
Big big hugs, Caty

Jeanie said...

Well, you DID have a white Christmas. We didn't. Temps were in the 50s. Today, pouring rain. I have to say, that's my exact amount of snow I like -- enough to more or less cover the ground and that's it!