Sunday, December 1, 2019

One of a kind, our new Art Journal Journey host!


Art Journal Journey not only has a new host this month, it has a new co-administrator.  Please welcome someone many of us know from her incredible journal and digital art, my dear friend from across the pond Yvonne, aka Meggymay.  You will find her incredible art at Meggy's Way.  Please welcome Yvonne, not just as our host at Art Journal Journey this month, but also as one of two people (and a cat) responsible for making Art Journal Journey run smoothly (not that Bleubeard does much except eat, clean himself, sleep, and repeat).  Please make Yvonne feel as at home as you loyal art journalers have made me feel.  Yvonne's theme this month is Words and Numbers.

I was a little more literal with Yvonne's theme and called it 1 of a Kind!

I started with my water soluble crayons, but when I needed a few more colors, I turned to my watercolor pencils.

It took me forever to color these few flowers and leaves.  My hand kept cramping, and I had to massage it with my left hand. 

I decided I'd had enough and wouldn't fill in any more.

Then it was time to use a stencil on the words and number.

I used a brass stencil I found in my stash to write the words, and a large number 1 I drew around so the number would stand out.

I used a gel pen on the words and water color pencils on the number.  Unfortunately, I can't draw a straight line, even when I have a ruler.

I actually remembered to mark the date this time.  I keep forgetting I have that cool incredible gifted (by Valerie) date stamp that is good for a few more years.

For this page I started by running a sheet of 110 lb card stock through my laser printer.  I had to use the laser printer, even though it rolls the paper.  If I'd used my ink jet, the water I used on the pencils and crayons would have smeared the ink.  I used water soluble crayons, watercolor pencils, a brass stencil, and a mask to create this page.  I added the date at the end.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled that you visited today.  We hope you will join Yvonne, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Words and NumbersPlease be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, tags, or 3-D art, and will be forced to delete your entry. 

23 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Super stunning and most gorgeous little image, loving this.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, great colouring. Glad you could use the date stamp. Have a great December, Valerie

Helen said...

Great colouring on that fab image

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A beautiful picture on the subject. so romantic for the 1 december the stemp and the idea it painted so still!
I wish you a beautiful 1 Advent
Elke

froebelsternchen said...

Great coloring, a lovely page!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

She's a beautiful image Elizabeth, love how you hand coloured part of the image like colorizing old photographs... she's amazing. Great theme choice from Yvonne! Happy December. Hugs Tracey xx

Meggymay said...

Thank you for your lovely welcome to AJJ and for creating this gorgeous page for the new theme.
The girl is a real beauty with a wonderful expression in her eyes. The coloured and fussy cut flowers draw me in to the page and I do like the white space. She is definitely 'one of a kind'.
I am grinning after reading the bit a bout drawing a straight line, thats one of my issues as well.
Have a good Sunday.
Yvonne xx

RO said...

Incredible and lovely work! Hugs, RO

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely. A beautiful coloring job even though your hand bothered you. The flowers are so pretty and have me wishing for warm weather instead of preparing for the snowstorm that is on its way. PS for more success drawing straight lines, I use a T-square.

My name is Erika. said...

What a fantastic welcome for Yvonne with this adorable girl. I like what you did with her. Nice coloring!And a clever layout too. The two of you (you and Yvonne) will make fantastic hostesses! Happy new month. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the colors you chose. They look lovely like that, without having everything filled in. I'm sorry your hand is still bothering you :(

Cindy McMath said...

Very pretty entry for the 1st of December. I’m sorry I missed commenting for the past couple of weeks. As you know I was busy travelling back east and then as you don’t know I got sick when I got home. I’m on the mend now but wanted to let you know that I went back and looked at all your lovely entries and they are fabulous as always. I have a hankering for roast veggies now! Also always love seeing your calendar entries each month. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving - looks like there was a great menu. Take care my friend.

DVArtist said...

Wow she is one of a kind, a beauty of a kind. Yes please put me in your side bar. I have a new drawing today. Hugs.N

Jeanie said...

This is a beautiful page, Elizabeth, and rather fitting as we enter the festive season. I like how you used just enough color -- but not too much! Rather perfect!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Lovely page! xoxo

Mia said...

STUNNING, Elizabeth!!!!!!!!!!

kathyinozarks said...

Your page is so beautiful I love it!

Sharon Madson said...

Oh, Elizabeth, I love this 1 of a Kind. She is so sweet! I envy you having a later printer. I look forward to you and Meggymay’s challenges at AJJ.

craftytrog said...

She's beautiful Elizabeth! Xx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Welcome, Yvonne, as guest host of the month. But also, thank you for taking on the responsibility of co-administrator. This is a beautiful piece and a lovely theme for the month. Eileen xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This really is a beautiful page Elizabeth, well done for persevering with the colouring! Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Many congratulations on having Yvonne join the team at AJJ, she's such a star and will be a fabulous addition to the team 😀. Wow, what a beautiful page, the coloured flowers and elements look so elegant against the pretty black and white image! I'm looking forward to joining in the fun 😉. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Caty said...

This is a wonderful Art page Elizabeth !! The little girl is really pretty with those beautiful coloured flowers, great colours, and great letter, love the number 1. I wish you a very nice day,
Biiiig hugs, Caty