Friday, December 20, 2019

Friday Smiles 351 and much more: what made me smile this week


I'm foregoing the Eisenhower museum again this week in favor of talking about what made me smile.  I got one of the BIGGEST compliments ever, and have to share it with Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles. Of course, I'll be sharing it with my loyal readers, followers, lurkers, and the wonderful mixed media group Try it on Tuesday, too.  Since there are both words and numbers on these tip-ins, which are 5.5 X 8.5 inches (13,97 X  21,59 centimeters), I'm joining Yvonne at Art Journal Journey, too.

I made 12 tip-ins this year.  Most of them went to my international friends.  Now that all but two of these have been received, I want to share them with you.  Four went out as soon as I made them, because I wanted my international friends to get theirs as soon as possible.  Many of you saw the quick and easy cards I made this year, but if you didn't they are here.

You can see I stamped this side using one of the lovely landscape stamps I won from Aussie Annie.  Granted, I'm not a stamper and you will see that I made a mistake in each and every one of these trees I stamped.

I also can see mistakes I made on the front side, too, BUT I have to share the compliment I received from my dear friend Chris at Pear Shaped Crafting.  Most of my readers know Chris and how well she stamps.  She uses everything from clear to rubber UMs to rubber on wooden blocks.  She is a stamping queen in my estimation.  Most everything she makes, she uses stamps that always have perfect stamping.

Imagine my surprise when I received this message from her about receiving her tip-in:
Your lovely Tip-in arrived while we were away but I was feeling so poorly that I didn’t get around to letting you know how impressed I am with your stamping and embossing!
Like I said, what a fabulous compliment!  Especially coming from the Queen of Stamping herself!

For these tip-ins, I began by laying down one of my favorite background techniques onto 110 lb cardstock.  I added six drops of gray Staz-on reinker to a nearly full tiny take-out cup filled with 91% Isopropyl alcohol. I used a foam brush to brush the mixture on the page.  I made the mixture lighter than normal, so the background is uncharacteristically subtle for my usual tip-in backgrounds.

Once dry, which takes less than a minute, I printed the sentiment using my software and laser printer.  Each page made two tip-ins, so I cut them using my guillotine paper cutter.

First, I stamped the trees on the sentiment side using a dark green dye ink.  Then I stamped the front side using VersaMark.  I had two green embossing powders, and started with the lightest.  Since I wasn't sure I liked how light they turned out, I changed to the darker color.  I also stamped the envelopes for the tip-ins you see here using the same Santa collage stamp I used on my Christmas cards.
 
Now let's see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  Bleubeard and I would love to have you join us there as well as Try it on Tuesday and Art Journal Journey, too.

Edit: It's Feed Me Friday at Free Kibble.  See my right sidebar and click to answer a question about dogs and one about cats.  Right or wrong, you have now donated 5X the normal amount of kibble to pets in shelters and where needed.


20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your tip-ins look lovely with the embossed trees. Have a nice Friday, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely post as always.x

Iris Flavia said...

First smile here: Your reference to "lurkers", huhhhh ;-)
The second: That people, and even the Queen instead of being jealous, are able to give comliments. I know way too many people who cannot do that.
And your work, third smile, a great way to start the day!

Helen said...

great embossing!

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous embossing Elisabeth!
Happy Friday!
Susi xxx

Meggymay said...

The embossing looks beautiful , so delicate, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself these look awesome. The landscape trees look fabulous as well.
Yvonne xx

Meggymay said...

I don't know what happened to my comment some of it went walk about.
Thank you for another wonderful page for my Art Journal Journey theme and for linking with us over at Try it on Tuesdays

Yvonne xx

Annie said...

It's so lovely to receive a compliment from someone who knows what they are talking about so well done you. I'm not a stamper but I love them too.
Really hope you enjoy your Christmas break.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

I love your Tip in this year Elizabeth. I have mine hanging with my Christmas cards. I do plan on showing my cards one of these days-I have not forgotten. I agree this works great for Yvonne's challenge. Hope you have a great start to your weekend. Hhugs-Erika

RO said...

I love that Kibble link so much! It's so simple to give and give to animals in need, and takes minimal effort. Can I just say wow to your stamping, and the stamps you received? Absolutely beautiful!!!! I can't stamp worth a lick(lol) Give me stickers and washi tape please. This brought a smile to my face too. Hugs, RO

Jeanie said...

I haven't embossed in such a long time. Seeing this beautiful piece is really an inspiration!

Merriest to you, my friend, and thank you for your wonderful, supportive comments this week, this year, and for several years! I might get to blogs for another day or so before we leave but then may be offline for a bit! Joy to you.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

These are a great idea Elizabeth, I've never seen any of these Before. Just stopped by to send you big hugs and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year. Angela xXx

sirkkis said...

Well done!
Have a Happy Holiday Season xx

Sharon Madson said...

I also think your stamping and embossing are great, Elizabeth! But, I am not sure what a tip in is. Happy Friday!

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely cards, just right for the transatlantic journey. And Chris is right, the stamping and embossing on those detailed mountain village Christmas trees (what a fabulous image!) is perfect. Hope you are ready for the festivities and that you enjoy a peaceful and joyous time.
Alison x

María said...

Great cards and that embossing image is beautiful and those embossing powders make it perfect. Thanks for joining us at the Try it on Tuesday's challenge. Hugs, María.

Divers and Sundry said...

The embossing shows up well in that photo. My fingers reached towards the screen before I thought lol

DVArtist said...

Wow very lucky friends to receive one of these beauties.

Rike said...

So much work - your embossing looks fabulous and the Christmas trees too!
I wish you a happy Christmas holiday, dear Elizabeth!

Let's Art Journal said...

Those Christmas trees are stamped and embossed beautifully 😁. Such a lovely design too! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! I hope you had a lovely weekend! Hugs, Jo x