Thursday, December 12, 2019

Second Thursday Tutorial: a quicky


My Second Thursday Tutorial almost didn't happen.  The only reason it did was because I was able to take photos of a real quickie!

I don't know why I didn't think of writing this tutorial when I was working on these cards, but sadly, I didn't.  Now I have to show how I made them.  I needed something really quick, since time was my enemy this month.  I had spent way too many hours working on my annual tip-ins, so quick was what I needed for my cards.  Of course, you know I had to make something that represented a tree.

Supplies:
Green washi tape (if you have Christmas tape, use it)
Stars (a gift from my friend Valerie)
Card blank with matching envelope

Gather your green washi tapes.  If you have some that are made specifically for Christmas (I don't), use them.  One gold is for the tree trunk. Use one star for the top of the tree.

Position your card so the opening is on your right and the closed part is on the left.  You want the length to be vertical.

Tear (preferable) or cut washi tapes and affix with the largest length at the bottom of the card.

Work your way up the tree by placing a total of five pieces of washi tape in descending size on the card front.  Be sure to leave room for the tree trunk.

Place one gold star on the top of the tree.  For this I used E-6000.

Vary the position of each tree, or make them all the same.   Write a note on the inside, or use a stamp. 

Here are the seven I made.  It took me about two hours to create these.  I'm a slow crafter though, so you might be able to cut that time a bit.  I also stamped the envelopes, as I did with most of my tip-in envelopes, too.

I don't really have a lot of sentiment stamps, and I certainly didn't want to stamp the words "Merry Christmas" out letter by letter.   I think the "Handmade by" stamp was the best stamp in which I ever invested.

Since this happens to be a Christmas tree, I am also sharing this with Try it on Tuesday, whose theme this fortnight is Christmas is coming. And because Moo-Mania and More's theme is Anything Goes, I'm joining them, too.

I realize this isn't much of a tutorial, but it's better than none.  Once this post goes live, you will find it on my tutorials page.  Thank you for sticking with me through this and these rather trying times.


32 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Fab idea!

Iris Flavia said...

That is great! Quick and easy, but beautiful.
I even have such tapes, thank you for sharing this idea! (And I love the cat-footprint!!! Is it Bleubeard´s?)

froebelsternchen said...

They are just PERFECT Elizabeth!!!
Thank you for joining Moo Mania &More!
Happy Thursday!
Susi xxx

froebelsternchen said...

And great to see this fab idea at TioT!
Thank you so much for supporting us.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely card with the washi tape tree. I used to do cards like this with the kids at school, and they always had fun. Have a great day, Valerie
By the way, your mail still isn't working for me. The email I sent last Saturday came back again....

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful, Elisabeth - a great way to use up Washi tape and to make quick cards. Love the effect.
Thank you for joining Try it on Tuesday's Christmas is Coming challenge.
Cath x

sirkkis said...

Beautiful Christmas trees.
Happy day to you!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

wonderful this idea to make her so very beautiful the Christmas tree!!
Greetings Elke

My name is Erika. said...

These are super trees. Using the tape was real clever and quick way to make something so pretty. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

Such an adorable and easy idea!

Dianne said...

Cute cards E! Received the Holiday Tip In from you yesterday, thank you so much! Be looking for an envelope from me also. Hugs, and stay warm! --Dianne ❤️

CJ Kennedy said...

Cute idea. And thank you for your lovely note and tip in. Such a wonderful surprise. Oh, loved the Santa on the envelope, too.

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful idea for quick cards. They turned out great!

Divers and Sundry said...

So cool! They make great cards. I'd put one in a frame and display it for the season :)

María said...

This is a great idea, your CAS cards are fantastic. Thanks for joining us at the Try it on Tuesday's challenge. Hugs, María.

craftytrog said...

I love your washi tape trees Elizabeth, they make super cards! I could do with some more colourful tapes, although I should make my own instead of buying them!
Alison xx

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I love this tutorial. Easy, fun, and so creative. Hope all is well with you.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These are lovely cards Elizabeth. I always chuckle with these types of posts by you, where you say you are rushed to make something, yet your end result is beautiful. It's not what the end result would look like if I was doing it and rushed for time. :-)

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Elizabeth, I wanted to thank you so much for the information and especially the link to your tutorial on choosing the right book for an altered book journal-that was very helpful as I didn't know about making sure it was sewn in-I bookmarked that post to go back to.
and I received your Christmas card today thank you so much-I love it!!-and now I know how you made it-hugs. I understand time-I bought all of my cards this year as I just didn't have the time to think about making them.
hugs Kathy

Meggymay said...

Your washi tape tree cards look fantastic and such a super idea, I will be remembering this tip. It is a great tutorial.
Thank you so muck for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesdays, its a great project for our theme.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Cute but simple card to make! :)

My name is Erika. said...

And I totally didn't register that you linked up to Try It On Tuesday. That's what I get for reading blog posts while I eat my breakfast so early in the AM. Thanks for joining us. Hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

It was fun to see how you made this fantastic Washi tree card. I loved it when I received it, even the envelope! For someone who doesn’t really make cards you came up with a super idea for a Christmas card. I was so surprised when I got it. Thank you Elizabeth! Happy day!

Jeanie said...

These are SUPER CUTE Elizabeth! I love washi tape and haven't played with mine in ages. Maybe I'll try something like this before the end of the year just for fun and inspiration for next year!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such quick and effective Christmas cards! I love your Christmas tree design of washi tape and the stars on the top - perfect 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Aimeslee Winans said...

Your tutorial is a very nice one - simple technique but quite effect and you made some loverly cards with it. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a marvy holiday! xoxo

Let's Art Journal said...

Forgot to say ... Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday 😀. Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely card with the washi tape tree … a great idea.

All the best Jan

Eileen Bergen said...

I love these cards, Elizabeth! Thank you for haring the idea. Eileen xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

These look fabulous Elizabeth! A clever idea - and one I think I may be using for some quick cards! Thank you so much for sharing this at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

Mrs.B said...

This is a great idea Elizabeth, every year I say I will do lots of quick cards and I will remember this - much better than buying cards, which I have done this year.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Brilliant, love them xXx