Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving in the USA


I'm once again joining Rike at Rike's Art our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  By now, I'm sure you know Rike's theme is Fruit and Veggies

I'm also celebrating Thanksgiving,

a federal holiday in the United States, celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. 

The pumpkins, cut and colored using water soluble crayons, are my veggie of choice for Rike's theme.

According to History.com:
In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states. It wasn’t until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November.
For this spread in my Challenges altered book, I began by laying down a sheet of gold paisley tissue paper.  I was hoping to cover over the graphs more than the words, but the graphs still showed through quite clearly, as will happen with tissue paper.  That's when I decided to extend the pumpkins I planned to use on the right side of the page to the left side.  When I was satisfied with the arrangement, I glued the pumpkins in place using a glue stick.  For the right side, I found this cute image of a girl and her pumpkin, who looked like she might have been at the first Thanksgiving.  Two more pumpkins were cut and added at the base of the image.

Thanks for joining me today at AEDM and Art Journal Journey.  If you live in the United States, I want to wish you a blessed (and safe) Thanksgiving.  If you live anywhere else in the world, I wish you a wonderful Thursday.

This is Day 28 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas
and I created a spread in my altered book for Art Journal Journey.


28 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful page, weee, guess Ingo will head for the market on Saturday again to get a piece of pumpkin!
Whilst you give thanks we sadly do not, but farmers went to Berlin to show what bad working conditions they have to endure...

Enjoy your feast, it´s the right thing to do to give thanks and nice to be able to do it, too.

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely page and although we don't celebrate thanksgiving here down under, have a good one.

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous spread in your journal Elizabeth, I always love pumpkins. We all have so much to be thankful for, so it's a good thing to celebrate. Have a wonderful day. No celebrations here, just the usual routines and art group this afternoon. Valerie

craftytrog said...

Happy Thanksgiving Elizabeth! I love your gorgeous spread with that wonderful tissue background!
Alison xx

Gibby Frogett said...

Lovely page Elizabeth - it makes me wish I had some roast pumpkin or pumpkin soup now :)
Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.. hope you have a lovely day.
Gill x

Cath Wilson said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Elisabeth!
I would really love to have something similar over here, but I can still celebrate with you all. Great pumpkins. We see so few over here. Just some for the kids in the local supermarket.
Enjoy your day.
Cath x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Happy Thanksgiving Elizabeth, I love those ripe looking pumpkins. I'm not sure I could cope with Thanksgiving and Christmas so close having Hubby's & my Mother in Laws Birthdays either side of Christmas day it's a hard task to accommodate as it is.. but I love hearing and seeing how everyone celebrates and enjoys their day. Wonderful feeling of the season..
Wishing you a very Happy day Tracey xx

froebelsternchen said...

Great pages! Happy Thanksgiving. Have seen you deleted me as admin already at AJJ.
Well done, even though I was a bit confused as it is still a to my IP connected blog, you should definitely change the impressum according to rights.
Big hugs, Susi

kathyinozarks said...

beautiful journal page Elizabeth Happy Thanksgiving

Barbara said...

Lovely and totally timely. Enjoy your quiet, peaceful day!

Rike said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
I like all the beautiful pumpkins, cut and colored using water soluble crayons! And your background is stunning - with this sheet of gold paisley tissue paper! I did not see the graphs until you mentioned them.
This girl is lovely, that's true!
Thank you for another wonderful entry to my theme at AJJ!

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely Thanksgiving greeting. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the boys. I hope you're electricity is up and running with no hiccups.

Meggymay said...

A fabulous journal spread and yes we must have been both thinking of pumpkins today. I love how you fussy cut and coloured yours . The little girl in her vintage style dress is so sweet, I think she must be hoping she will get a pie today.
I hope you have a lovely day today.
Yvonne xx

DVArtist said...

This is really pretty. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Divers and Sundry said...

Lovely seasonal art :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Darla said...

You did a great job with your spread for the challenge. I like that piece of tissue paper. Always on the lookout for things like that.

Lowcarb team member said...

This is absolutely wonderful, a delight :)
Sending lots of Happy Thanksgiving Wishes to you.

All the best Jan

Rita said...

What a darling little girl!
Happy Thanksgiving, Elizabeth. :)

Aimeslee Winans said...

Love that paisley tissue paper, makes such a great background for those pretty pumpkins. Happy Turkey Elizabeth. I ate too much haha. xoxo

Sharon Madson said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Elizabeth. I think you are right , your little girl looks like she could have been at the first Thanksgiving. Your journal pages are lovely.

NatureFootstep said...

Love the little girl :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you had a wonderful day and I'm loving your pages 😀. The vintage image of the little girl looks so beautiful with all the pumpkins surrounding her - perfect 😁. Hugs, Jo x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful artwork Elizabeth. I hope you're feeling better. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Lovely page, Elizabeth. You're right, we sure did see a ton of pumpkins this month with Rike's fruits and veggies theme. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. I gave thanks for you and the rest of the T-ladies. 😉 Eileen xx

My name is Erika. said...

I hope you had a super Thanksgiving Elizabeth. I love this cool vintage pumpkin page. I like all the pumpkins. And that cool tissue paper which is really pretty and gives it a nice bit of detail. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

your page is really nice, and we're off to the Christmas season now! Hugs, RO

Jeanie said...

I like this page very much, Elizabeth. And I hope your Thanksgiving was as lovely as this piece of art is. Quite beautiful and well done!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous spread Elizabeth! Sorry not to get here sooner! At least now I know what a super Thanksgiving meal you had! Chrisx