Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Second on the 2nd


I was originally going to show a post that had the word Dream in it to honor Eileen's theme she has chosen for us at Art Journal Journey.  But yesterday was my grandmother's birthday, and I wanted to honor her with a second look at a post I created back on October 1, 2018.  Here is the post.


Today is my Grandmother's birthday and we also have a new host at Art Journal Journey and a new theme.   Please welcome Linda of heARTfully inspired by Linda.  Her theme is Creature Comforts.  I admit I was a bit stumped by this theme, so I'm glad Linda explained she was looking for warm colors, going with a creature (my first thought), or a journal page that comforts you.  Since it's my Grandmother's birthday, there is nothing more comforting than thinking about Grams (my grandparents raised me from birth).
 

I'm sure she is my guardian angel, even to this day.

I placed so much symbolism in this journal page.  My grandmother was a seamstress.  She sewed all my clothes until I entered high school, and she made quilts that would put the Blue Ribbon ones at the State Fair to shame.  Those she quilted by hand using a HUGE hoop that sat on her lap.

My grandmother also crocheted.  When I found this ribbon that looked like it might be something she would crochet, I dyed it lavender, possibly her favorite color.

The butterflies are symbolic of how she taught me to be a free spirit and always believe in my dream.

One butterfly stood out from all the rest.  She taught me I should stand out too, especially if I had a good education, something very important to her, since she had owned a business and had been a full time school teacher once she sold her business.

My grandmother loved roses, and although her favorite were yellow, she would never turn down a red or pink one.

My grandmother loved birds, and had a parakeet as long as I could remember.

 
For this page, I started with a background of scrapbook paper that I sewed to 110 lb card stock using variegated thread.  I fussy cut the angel and sewed it to the background.  Next, I cut and sewed the "house" to the background, then added the lace I dyed by hand using a Staz-on reinker and 91% alcohol.  To anchor the house, I added two strips of washi tape.


I hope this fits with Linda's idea of Creature Comforts and I hope my grandmother is smiling down on this birthday homage to her today. 

______________________________________________________________________

Now it's time for you to link your second look on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  The only condition is it must have been published sometime in the past. Then link below and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.    Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.



Please share something from your blog that you showed previously. Be sure the link goes directly to your Second on the 2nd post and not your blog in general.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely piece about your grandmother, it's great to have good memories from childhood. She sounds like a very diligent woman. My back is very bad just now, need to go for x-rays this morning, and back to the doc's next week, she gave me 2 injections to help with the pain. Thanks for asking! Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

So beautiful dear Elizabeth!

Iris Flavia said...

Your Grandmother sure loved you and taught you very well.
A free spirit who believes in his dreams is great advice. And a good education, YES!
A beautiful tribute, Elizabeth.
As long as they´re in our thoughts and hearts they are only gone physically...

My name is Erika. said...

This is gorgeous Elizabeth. It is wonderful to see it again and who can argue with the idea of guardian angel. It could also be a quite romantic page too. Happy Wednesday! have a great one. Hugs-Erika

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is a beautiful tribute to your grandmother who raised you Elizabeth. I'm glad you shared it again.

CJ Kennedy said...

I'm sure your grandmother is smiling down at you. Such a lovely tribute you created

kathyinozarks said...

So beautiful Elizabeth, and such a lovely tribute to your Grandmother-I am so glad you shared this with us for a second look-hugs Kathy

Cindy McMath said...

Such a lovely remembrance of your grandma! I also liked your creative page you made in th previous post with the rubbings - really fun technique.

Jeanie said...

What a beautiful piece to honor your grandmother. I think she would just love it. She sounds very special indeed.

Sandra Cox said...

This is just beautiful, Elizabeth. A lovely remembrance for a special person.

Caty said...

This is a Gorgeous second Elizabeth !! Absolutely Amazing page, I remember it. Happy belated Birthday for your grandmother. Love the lace and every detail. Great Art yours, as always !
I wish you a very nice Thursday, and send biiiig hugsss
Caty

da tabbies o trout towne said...

your grandmother is VERY happy Elizabeth; you created an amazing piece in her honor; it's very pretty !! my grandmother sewed 80 % of my clothing as well; never forget the time she made me a pair of bell bottom pants; they were all the rage and the bell on each leg was a yardstick wide...no joke !!! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

R's Rue said...

Cute.

Lowcarb team member said...

A simply wonderful (and beautiful) tribute to your loving grandmother who raised you Elizabeth … it's so nice :)

All the best Jan

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful post, Elizabeth. I am glad you posted again since I had never seen it. And how special, since she raised you. Thank you for a wonderful re-post.

Susan Kane said...

Such a meaningful card. Beautiful.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well this is lovely Elizabeth and we now have promise of a DREAM too! Hugs, Chrisx

Powdered Toast Man said...

You go Grandma!!

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely memories of your grandmother, I never knew either of mine as they were in Russia and Poland and i was born in Australia...xx

Words and Pictures said...

A lovely warm-hearted 2nd on the 2nd... such a thoughtful tribute to your grandmother and the love and comfort you received from her. I think you definitely cracked the theme at the time and what a lovely idea to share it again on her birthday.
Alison x

Birgit said...

This is a beautiful tribute with so much thought and care going into this page. I love it and I know she does too