Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Is it Christmas yet?


Erika, aka Bio Art Gal, is our host this entire month at Art Journal Journey with her themes plaid, stripes, polka dots, and patterns.  We have lots of choices, so there's every reason to play.  Before we begin, I wanted to share this:

These are saddle shoes and sometimes known as saddle oxfords.  Apparently they were quite popular with men who wore them as golf shoes and teen girls who wore them with bobby socks.  They were quite popular from the 1930s through the 1950s.  Seems this was an American thing, so I was quite surprised when my international friends didn't know what they were.  For some reason, I thought "assumed" it was a universally known shoe.  I apologize for that erroneous assumption.  Now back to our regularly scheduled post.

Is it Christmas yet?

Most know it's a jolly old holiday.

Children bundled in warm outer wear are carrying a Christmas tree home on their sled they chopped down and plan to decorate.  Doesn't that conjure up images of Christmas to you?  It also fits the current theme Boys/ Girls/ Children at Try it on Tuesday.

Perhaps you would prefer to play a board game, like this one called Visit of Santa Claus.  The Visit of Santa Claus board game, which features colorful lithography, is a vintage spin and move race game.

Apparently there are two covers, but each includes a game board, a cardboard spinner, thirty-three "gift" cards you collect, and a wooden game piece.


What could feel more like Christmas than Christmas plaid?

For this journal page, I started with a sheet of 12 X 12 inch (30,48 centimeter) square plaid scrapbook paper that I cut to 8.5 X 11 inch (21,59 X 27,94 centimeter) size.  These images were in my stash and I decided to leave them the sizes they were or I would have needed to print them using black toner or black inkjet ink.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today.  I hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday, too.

27 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

An interesting page with the tartan background. Thanks for explaining about the shoes. We had similar ones in England, they were called brogues, but were forbidden at school! Nothing fashionable was ever allowed! Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Shoe fashion history....always a pleasure.
I got many pairs of shoes recently since my daughter works at a popular footwear chain every Saturday. Weeven got hubby some great new pairs he likes to wear.
I love your jolly holiday page, but hey we have christmas in about 14 weeks,unbelieva ble how fast time flies by this year again.
A fantastic entry for AJJ Elizabeth.
Hugs, Susi xxx

My name is Erika. said...

Love the plaid today. It is definitely Christmas. And I like the vintage holiday images. They work well on the plaid and make a nice page. Thanks so much for joining in my challenge at AJJ;it is much appreciated. And boy, shoes weren't outrageously expensive back then, were they? Of course incomes levels were lower also. So maybe this was a lot of cash. Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

aussie aNNie said...

Cool post and Christmas is every day for me, if I need something I just go get it...love the shoes.xx

Barbara said...

I loved the look back! Great display of nostalgia!

Unrelated, here is the text of my email that you didn’t receive. Rather than resending, this will work for sure:

“Elizabeth...I have saved more of those round tea bags that you liked so much, and I don’t have a need for so many. I’d be happy to send some to you, just need your mailing address. It would be fun to see how you use them!
Barbara”

CJ Kennedy said...

I love saddle shoes especially if they were blue and white instead of the traditional black and white. And it's too early for Christmas things, she whined. It's still Summer until 9/22, 😉 but I'll grudgingly admit the Santa and Winter images pair nicely on the plaids.

Cindy McMath said...

A lovely holiday page! I have to admit I’m not quite ready to see Christmas yet!

craftytrog said...

Great page Elizabeth, and thanks for showing us what Saddle Shoes are. As Valerie said, Brogues are the UK equivalent.
Alison xx

Sandra Cox said...

I LOVE plaid. What a grand background for those lovely Christmas images.

Sandra Cox said...

Back on the saddle shoes. They would pop up occasionally when the kids were young. I got a pair for my daughter when she was little:)

froebelsternchen said...

Shame on me, I forgot to say thank you for joining in at TioT as well ! You know how much we appreciate your support Elizabeth! Thank you beyond belief for joining us!

Susi xxx

Sami said...

I actually think those shoes are back in fashion, I'm sure I've seen similar ones in shoe shops, although they are not my style.
Christmas is certainly coming fast, don't even want to think about it! My daughter who is living in the Philippines sent me a photo on the 1st of September saying that "Christmas Season" had started there. All shopping centres, streets, etc are already decked out for Christmas and Christmas music plays non-stop! It would drive me crazy having almost 4 months of Christmas stuff around!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'll grant you meteorological Autumn. That's as far as I'm going lol This is the first Christmas post I've seen this year. I'll admit if you're making Christmas-themed gifts or decorations it's not too early for those preparations. But I'm not ;) Please let me wish you a Happy National Wildlife Day :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like the vintage shoes ad. And your Christmas artwork is lovely.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

my mom wore the socks and shoes to school every day; I think they may have been part of a "uniform " !! ☺☺♥♥

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Dr. E! We are fine, the storm has moved on and yes, we are very prepared, in the event of another one this season. They always heat up now, and always take them seriously. Thanks for being such a great friend and I am sorry to take so long in getting back to you, but we just now feel safe. Big hugs! XX

Mia said...

There are saddle shoes in Greece, Elizabeth, and they are popular.
I love your Christmas page, my friend. I have never heard of Santa's board game, this sounds interesting. Kisses, my friend.

My name is Erika. said...

And why do I always forget to say thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. But at least I got the AJJ part. Smile. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

I love your journal pages, its a lovely background plaid for the images you added. Christmas will be here before we know it and it is a special time of the year for children[and maybe adults who don't want to grow up]
Thank you so much for joining us all over at TioT's and for the support you give to us there
Yvonne xx

Meggymay said...

Forgot to say thanks for the information on the shoes. Seeing the close up photo I can remembe,r like Valerie that we called them Brogues here. I think they were mainly brown and tan leather and very expensive to buy.
Yvonne xx

Neet said...

Drop the word 'saddle' and I think most UK'ers would know what you meant. Also would associate them with golfers and girls with ankle (bobby) socks on.
Lovely journal ages, I do like plaid and must look for some paper in that design amongst my stash rather than try to recreate it.
Hugs to all
Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooh! Another page for Try It On Tuesday - Thank you Elizabeth - I love this one...although as I am already getting twitchy about seeing Halloween things appearing and its not even October I probably do think it's a little early for Christmas (lol)
If I had noticed shoes like these in the 50s I probably would have wanted a pair - but girls in those days weren't as aware as they are now!
Hugs, Chrisx

Caty said...

Wooww this is a Gorgeous Art page Elizabeth !! This Santa is fabulous, I love the vintage images, and the plaid paper is fantastic,yes... perfect for Christmas !! So great Jolly old holiday !!
I wish you a very nice day,
Big hugssss, Caty

Jeanie said...

Oh, my! I love the saddle shoes -- so cute! And all those great plaids with Christmas -- it works SO well!

RO said...

I definitely get a Christmas vibe, and those saddle shoes look very much like the pair I found at a thrift store in Kansas many years ago. Bring on the holidays! Hugs, RO

Let's Art Journal said...

How interesting, I'd not heard of those shoes before; thanks for the explanation 😁. As you know I love Christmas and your pages look wonderful with the plaid, but when I saw them I was thinking "no, this is a little early for me" ... lol ... I must be feeling unwell to say such a thing ...lol 😉. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Mrs.B said...

A lovely festive page Elizabeth and I love the traditional images and they're just perfect for our Boys/Girls/children challenge at TioT.
The old board games looks fun, I don't remember any purely Christmas themes games here in the UK. I've seen vintage images of men wearing those shoes on the golf course, but didn't know their name - interesting.
Avril xx