Friday, August 9, 2019

Friday Smiles 333: a hodgepodge of smiles


It's Friday and time once again to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.   Today I have a hodgepodge of smiles.

I'd like to start today with someone who always makes me smile.  I have a really hard time finding him lately when I have my camera out.    I hope this makes you smile, too.  Yes, this is the face of our blog.

I normally make all my friends gifts, but this was one time I knew something handmade just wouldn't do.  I did sew the package together after I spritzed and stamped the brown paper that I raided from my friend Sally's recycle bin.  However, even though I'd had the gift since early June, I failed to take any photos of it.

Please do not pin or copy from my blog.  This photo belongs to RO!
These are the gifts I sent to my friend RO of In The Know With RO!  I know how much RO loves planners, so I got her one she can use from one birthday to the next.  It's an August, 2019 to August, 2020 planner.  I also found these cool stickers at Watermark Books where I got the planner, too.  On the way to the Post Office, I stopped at McDonalds to get her a Gift Card for cheeseburgers.

I personally picked the postage stamps which I hope she'll use in her planners.  I wanted a Moon stamp, but my little post office didn't have them and hadn't even seen at least a third of the stamps I was looking for.  At least these conveyed my feelings for my dear friend.

Please do not pin or copy from my blog.  This photo belongs to RO!
You can see she's already started to use the gift.  Want to see the specific post?  Please go here.  Share her birthday wishes and lament over her frustration as she renewed her driver's license.

Finally, my friend Scott e-mailed this to me.  Doesn't speak well for Kansas City or their proofreaders.  I'm fairly certain that's the Missouri side!!  It really made me laugh.  I suspect it will you, too.

Thanks for joining the sleepy Bleubeard and me and don't forget to wish RO a big happy birthday, too.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join us, too.


26 thoughtful remarks:

Annie said...

Happy birthday to RO and how lovely it was to see Bleubeard putting in an appearance today.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lynn Holland said...

Oh that poster had me in stitches. There was once a massive bridge across the entry to our town that had the sign “Home of the Rochdale Coop” it should have said “Co-op”. It wreaked havoc as it was as you came off the motorway and anyone who lived in Rochdale new it was wrong and was doing a double take when they saw it. Needless to say it was soon rectified

froebelsternchen said...

I love to see this sweet Bleubeard images and you gave RO a really wonderful present!
I am sure she appreciates this very much!

My gosh, how embarrassing this poster is...lol!!!! Happy start of the weekend dear Elizabeth! Thank you for the mails! Got them both!

Susi xxx

RO said...

OMG - I'm still giggling at the faux pas on that sign, and bet they get lots of calls and laughs. Those stamps are absolutely perfect, and will be definitely used. I just appreciate your thoughtfulness so much, and decorating my planner after eating a cheeseburger just gave me such great feels. I also adore the the paper and the way you sewed it. Very cool! My only regret to our friendship is that we don't live next door so we can share a cup of coffee every morning before starting off our day. I just want to hug Bleubeard so much. He looks absolutely cuddable. Happy Friyay and lots of hugs too! RO

CJ Kennedy said...

Bleubeard is so sweet. Ink never liked having his picture taken. Most times he would turn his head just as I was to snap the photo. You can purchase stamps from USPS.com and usually you'll be able to find the stamp you want. Lovely parcel of goodies. And the poster fits perfectly with you Friday Smiles. I'm still giggling. Enjoy your day!

Lisca said...

First of all let me apologise for the prisoners bus at Walmart. I didn't know it was at Walmart. That detail didn't filter through here in Spain. I suppose they don't think it was significant enough to mention as people wouldn't know what Walmart was as we don't have them in Europe.
You are right. In the light of this, it was in poor taste. I have now removed it.

What great photos of your gorgeous Bleubeard! We don't get to see him often enough.
The gifts you got for RO are lovely. Much thought went into getting something that she would like and use. That includes going through the effort of getting beautiful stamps, even though they weren't the ones you wanted, but nevertheless they will make her happy.
Your calendar is fun to read. Are you really going to treat yourself on the 27th? I hope you will. If you don't treat yourself, nobody else will. (I used to have an 'I-love-Lisca-day' when I was single. Once a month I would treat myself and I would pick a date as soon as my shift pattern for that month was published. And I would book a beauty treatment or reflexology, or go see a special exhibition or go to the opera etc.)
That Kansas poster had me in stitches!I showed my husband and he didn't notice the mistake. He is dyslexic, so I conclude that the person who wrote the poster was dyslexic too. Why it wasn't picked up at the printers though is beyond me. But it was good for a laugh.
As for proofreaders, we have a friend in the UK who is a proofreader. She gets very little work as people don't want to employ proofreaders anymore. Cost cutting etc.
Have a lovely weekend and give Bleubeard a gentle hug from me. (he doesn't strike me as being a huggy cat),
Lisca

Lisca said...

I forgot to explain what the Feria is. It is a yearly funfair that every town and village in Andalucia has. The dates vary from town to town. People that live in the city will take time off work to visit their ancestral village/town for the feria. It lasts several days and most of the action is at night. (as it is such a hot country). People dance and revel until morning. There are lots of bars and stalls, there are performances at the different stages and dancing all through the night. People meet up with old school friends, it is a meeting place for teenage boy/girl stuff as it is the only time of year they are allowed out all night. Our whole village is inundated with people and there is a buzz about the place. It is a family affair and lots of fair rides are aimed at children who run wild all over the place. But miraculously nobody gets lost or seriously hurt. In a word, it is the most important event on the calendar. It is a big deal.
I hope that answers your question.

craftytrog said...

Wonderful to see your handsome Bleubeard, we have a cat just like him at Animal Rescue, and his name is Blue. He's a very friendly yard cat, who loves to climb on our shoulders :-)
Happy birthday to Ro. I bet she loved her gifts.
Alison xx

Meggymay said...

Oh my, it was lovely to see the photos of Bleubeard, you were lucky to have your camera handy. Did he move after you took them.
Your gift for your friend looked lovely.
That poster did make me smile, it was a real gaff. They will be needing to employ more folk to check on the Poof readers work. I bet more folk than usual would stop to read it and maybe not believe what their eyes were seeing.
Yvonne xx

Valerie-Jael said...

I don't think I will go to Kansas if they have such a kiss my **** attitude! Love the pics of Bleubeard, so pretty. Nice presents for Ro, too. Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

What is it about our pets and cameras My last dog would always look away whenever I took out my camera and we joked that he was worried the camera would suck out his soul. ANyhow, lots of fun photos this week. Sleeping kitties always look so cozy and comfy, unlike dogs who just stretch out and often snore too. And ha ha. That sign doesn't make me want to take a trip to Kansas City. Sounds like it might be a poopy place t visit. Ha-ha! Happy Friday. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

Bleubeard is gorgeous! I'm glad he allowed photos :) That's a sign that makes me wonder if _any_ publicity is good publicity lol I checked out RO's blog and have subscribed to posts in my news reader. Thanks for highlighting it :)

mamapez5 said...

The planners are fun way to keep organised. I am just not very good at filling them in. You are very thoughtful in choosing your gifts. I am sure your friends appreciate them.
Bluebeard is beautiful and looks very relaxed.
The sign made me laugh. I proof read everything but a few errors still make it through, but for something as important as a public sign...?
Kate xx

Adria's Musings said...

Hi Elizabeth it's Adria! Ro told me you were having trouble commenting on my blog. I'm sorry about that. Disqus doesn't openly display your email for everyone to see, they ask for a log in just to make sure you're human and not a spam bot. If it makes you uncomfortable I understand, you can always catch me on Instagram (adrias.musings.reviews).

da tabbies o trout towne said...

DOOD !!! IT BE GRATE TA SEE YA HEER ON... YUR... BLOG ;)

WE HOPE THIZ FINDZ YA HAPPEE HEALTHEE & STAYIN IN TRUBULL & WE WISH DE SAME FOR SQUIGGLES !!

HAPPEE WEEK END ~~~~♥♥

Anne (cornucopia) said...

You got some nice gifts for Ro's birthday. (I left her a message on her blog.) Bleubeard looks like he's sleeping peacefully. (Any time I try to photograph my cat, he walks right toward me, to try to check out the camera.) I laughed at that Kansas City sign. I've noticed a lot of things are no longer proofread for spelling mistakes, including news articles written by my local news stations and papers.

Sandra Cox said...

That sign is hilarious.
Glad you included the MacDonald's gift certificate for those cheeseburgers for Ro. Heh.
That camera shy boy is so sweet.

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous post, love the photos.xx

Words and Pictures said...

So lovely to see Bleubeard - he looks as though he's enjoying his catnap (apart from the paparazzi interrupting him!). What a carefully thought through gift for RO and great to see it's already in action. I did laugh, but it also makes me so frustrated... how can such a thing as that poster happen? How does it get into production in the first place, then through the printing process, and how on earth does it make it as far as being displayed without somebody noticing and putting a stop to it!?
Alison x

Sami said...

I had a good laugh when I read the sign about the visitors to Kansas City, a good one Elizabeth!!
Love the photos of Bluebeard, very sweet :)
Sienna looks very pretty in your pages. Have a lovely weekend.

Rita said...

Nice birthday gifts for a planner person. :):)
That sign is hysterical!!

Rita said...

Oh, and loved to see Bleubeard! How could I forget that. ;)

Dianne said...

loved this post! a great laugh at the end!! wow. unfortunate typo....

had to go look at Ro's blog...how delightful. ;) love her conversational style, and she really appreciated your gifts. well done you!

stay cool... ;)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! I did it again, forgot that I can send comments on my phone....ggggrrrr!!!! Love seeing Bleubeard! What a great idea for gift for RO, she clearly loves it! The sign cracked me up - it's surprising how many funny ones there are around! I really have a dislike of apostrophes being wrongly used - leave them out and it could be an oversight but to put them where they don't belong....noooooo!!! Hugs, Chrisxx

Birgit said...

Oh he is a cutie! How old is he? They just make a person feel better all around. That Kansas sign is hilarious and am not sure my hubby will visit Kansas...sounds too much like prison:) Don't bend down to pick up the soap

Jeanie said...

What a handsome boy he is! Aren't sleeping kitty pix the best? There's that innocence and perfec tcalm. And love the planner idea!