Thursday, August 8, 2019

Second Thursday Tutorial: dyeing fabric and paper using red cabbage


This tutorial is what I would call a failed experiment.  I tried two different techniques and neither one lived up to the promises I saw on other sites.  However, I have spent too much time working on this, so I will show you my HONEST results, which are unlike those found on other sites.

I'll begin with my first experiment and the materials I used. From left clockwise:
1 small head of cabbage *
large glass bowl
disposable gloves

*I don't normally buy products for my monthly tutorials, instead preferring to use what I own.  However, for this project, I had to buy a head of cabbage.  I bought the smallest one I could find.  It was $1.79/pound (USD) and it weighed 1 pound 5 ozs.  I paid $2.36 (USD) plus tax for this cabbage.

Instead of doing a lot of cutting, I gave up and mostly tore the cabbage.  I wore gloves and if you decide to reproduce this project, I suggest you do the same, unless you want bright pink hands and purple fingernails.

Somehow, I failed to show what I did next.  I covered the cabbage in cold water and placed it in the refrigerator supposedly overnight.  As it turned out, I left it there four days, and, although the web site owner said it would turn a deep purple, I only got a very dull brown in FOUR days!

Being a scientist, I decided to try to understand this process.  Conducting a bit of scientific research, I discovered that red cabbage is what is known as a substantive dye that contains a water-soluble pigment called anthocyanin.  Depending on their pH, they may appear red, purple, blue, or black.  This information will come in handy as I change the pH of the cabbage.  Anthocyanins belong to a class of molecules called flavonoids.  For someone dyeing using cabbage and other anthocyanin pigmented kitchen veggies, this means that the pigment can bond to natural fibers without a mordant. 

For the cold process, chop or tear red cabbage leaves as I did and place in cold water.  Supposedly, anthocyanins are heat-sensitive and will activate in cold water.  I placed my bowl of cabbage and water in the fridge, but my anthocyanins could have cared less about the cold.  They refused to allow the cabbage to turn any color, much less dark blue as the blogger suggested.

After waiting around longer than I should have (sadly, the second Thursday this month was here before anyone realized it), I proceeded to try my luck with heating the cabbage.  My supplies are above.

Baking soda, ammonia, salt, and baking powder will be used as a mordant or to change the pH of the cabbage.   I forgot to bring out my vinegar and rust mordant, though.  I guess I was distracted because I had to make a trip to the store to buy ammonia and salt.

I'm not sure I have much pure cotton.  I brought out everything I had that even faintly resembled cotton, though.  I was hoping to dye some of the lace, too, although everyone warns anything with polyester will not take the cabbage dye or will dye very light.

What is left of my cabbage is above.  I spilled some of the water on my cheat sheet and you can see the cold water didn't do much at all to the cabbage.

Once again, I tore cabbage leaves, but this time, I added hot water and a bit of salt to set the dye.  Every web site will tell you to cook over a hot stove for an hour, but if I can prepare something in the microwave, I'll do it.  Note how the cabbage head keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I cooked this in the microwave for 15 minutes, checking every three minutes.

I'm loving the purples and greens I'm seeing in the dye bath.  It was time to remove the cabbage from the dye bath.  I used a slotted turner designated for dyeing fabric.

The dye bath is now ready for the fabric.  It is pH neutral, or as neutral as my bottled water I purchased can be.

There are different ways you can prepare your fabric, but you MUST begin with clean or PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabric.  Even if it's labelled PFD, I wash it in mild detergent first. 

Please note:
If your fabric sits on a shelf for any length of time, it will ultimately gather dust.  If you handle it, you get oils from your hands on the fabric.  That's why I suggest always washing in mild soap just prior to dyeing any fabric.  Be sure to rinse the fabric until it runs clear.  After all, you have to start with wet fabric anyway.  This way, you know your fabric should be free of dust and oils and will more freely accept the dye bath.

I used my slotted turner to push the wet fabric into the dye bath.

Since I still had a bit of room in the dye bath, I decided to add a small piece of lace.

I microwaved my fabric in the dye bath for 15 minutes, checking the fabric every 3 minutes.   I liked the color of the dye bath, but was not especially impressed with the fabric.

I decided to cut a sheet of 90 lb. watercolor paper into quarters and dipped one piece in the dye bath.

This was definitely underwhelming.

After rinsing and drying the fabric, I was once again less than satisfied.  Somehow I expected it would be darker.

Even more disappointing was the lace.

Here I compare the finished project with the original fabric.

This is the same for the paper, too.

Ruminations:

1. The cold dye bath did nothing and I wasted days I didn't have while I waited for the dye bath to turn purple.

2. It seemed like everything I wanted to try, I had to buy something in order to dye it.  I had to buy the cabbage and the salt, which you have to add to any of the dyeing processes you want to try.  I also purchased the bottle of water to keep the pH level constant over all the processes.

3. Thankfully, I already had the vinegar, baking soda, and baking powder, but had to buy the ammonia.  These are all needed to change the pH levels of the dye bath.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to use any of these.

4.  Another item I had was iron "liqueur" I can use as a mordant, but I was out of alum, another mordant I must buy before I try my next batch of red cabbage dye baths.  I believe I have Cream of Tartar, which goes with the alum.  I also have old copper pennies I can use as a mordant.

5. Speaking of mordants, I didn't even have a chance to discuss pre- and post-mordant processes or discuss fixatives which set the dye and keep dyed fabrics from quickly fading.  Salt is a fixative, but there are others, too. 

6. Another concern of mine about salt is, it is often added to the fabric which is then cooked for an hour before adding to the dye bath.  Others say to add salt to the dye bath itself.  It's very confusing, so I need to conduct lots more experiments.

7. I feel I have only just touched the surface of dyeing with red cabbage, so I will continue with it next month, too.

Thank you for joining me today.  I greatly appreciate it.  Feel free to ask questions and if I can't answer them, I'll conduct experiments to help us all better understand this process.  Suggestions are always welcome and so are your own dyeing stories.

18 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

Thank you for sharing this all with us. I think even though you aren't happy with the results I like the soft colours you ended up with!

Big hugs, Susi 3

Helen said...

I quite like the delicate shade of lilac you achieved, even though you wanted something darker. I can't say I am surprised though, although of course I haven't seen the sites you saw "better" results from. Thanks for continuing to experiment and share.

Valerie-Jael said...

I like the colours you got at the end. I would have enjoyed the red cabbage as a veggie, too. Glad you didn't get ink fingers and purple nails! Have a great day, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't done a lot of natural dyeing except for using tea and coffee so I can't say I know very much about it. But I enjoyed reading this post as I keep learning new things. I did get this book, (the natural colors cookbook) last year on a markdown table and they said something about using a mordant before dyeing. ? as I said, I don't know if that's the thing to do or not. But I will say lots of the colors in the book were not very dark, but are pretty muted. Like your fabric. But you are right about the paper being less than overwhelming. Thanks for sharing. hugs-Erika

Neet said...

Oh Elizabeth, I know how badly red cabbage stains your fingers and nails. I often make pickled red cabbage and it is gorgeous done in the oven with apple then served as an accompanying vegetable.
I even used to make a cake (like a sponge) using beetroot - very nice too. Recipe available if you want to try it.
Sorry you were disappointed with your results but it did add a little bit of colour.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Divers and Sundry said...

Before I knew polyester wouldn't take the dye I tried to dye a polyester shirt. The thread took the dye lol but not the cloth. It's interesting to see what you did and hear how your results compared to other sites you'd consulted.

If cabbage is in anything other than slaw I say, "no, thanks" ;) and I've never bought cabbage of any color. Using it for dye sounds productive, though.

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting process. Himself used to have his chemistry students dye Easter eggs with red cabbage and onion skins. I'll have to ask him if he got deep colors for those items.

kathyinozarks said...

allot of times things like cabbage, avocado etc don't sustain the dye or like your mentioned the ph will change the color on you. polyester will not take up natural dyes at all I learned that over the years. fun to try though-hugs

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; they say we can learn something new every day and I did; never knew that about cabbage. I agree though, I was thinking the "dye" would have been darker on the fabric and cloth...may be it had something to do with how porous they were ??? nice post today !! ☺☺♥♥

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I enjoyed reading this post Elizabeth. Despite the setbacks, you kept your sense of humor, and I found myself laughing while reading parts of this. I like your scientific approach to analyzing the problem and trying to find a solution. When I saw the bowl of deep purple water, I thought surely that will make a great dye, and wondered why your opening statement was that both attempts were disappointments. When I saw your fabric, I understood and shared your disappointment, and was surprised how faint the color was, when the water looked so dark purple.

Lowcarb team member said...

Well, I certainly enjoy red cabbage as a vegetable … but it was interesting to see and read your post here today.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

All the best Jan

aussie aNNie said...

Well I kinda love the softness of the colours, you sure are experimental with everything...still not parcel??? I have the receipt but hope it arrives oh so soon...

craftytrog said...

Seems like an expensive and disappointing experiment, but thank you for sharing your honest results Elizabeth.
Better luck next time,
Alison xx

Meggymay said...

I think I will stick to eating rad cabbage, It was a good post to read I can understand your thinking that the colours would be a bit mire vibrant. It will be good to read about your further experiments with this food item.

Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

Interesting experiments Elizabeth - I think the soft purple is very pretty, even if it wasn’t what you were hoping for or expecting. One question is what is the lace made of? It looks like it may be synthetic which could explain why it resisted the dye. You could tea dye a strip - something you definitely know how to do for consistent results and see if it accepts the tea or not? If not it would make fun gelli plate patterns! Xo

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Elizabeth. You could definitely play a scientist on TV! And teach a science lab. I get that you wanted darker, can you re-dye that fabric another time with something else? I know nothing about dyeing if Rit doesn't tell me. As I read your post which I found fascinating, my mind went to thinking what our ancestors had to deal with to do this sort of thing, on top of a million other things. I bet what happened to you happened to them. My mind often goes to how people lived in the 1700 and 1800's. And of course, I bet they had lots of passed-down advice and tips that never got written down. Well, it was fun to read and thank you for writing it. xox

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well done for persevering! I do love that delicate lilac colour but it clearly isn't what you expected so I shall look forward to seeing further experiments! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

Your instructions are so good and I love how you experiment. I don't always have the patience! I adored the lace for what it's worth but I know what you mean about expectations. (I get that way with Easter eggs!)