Saturday, August 3, 2019

A quandry


I'm joining Gill of Gibby Frogett Craftations this month's host at Art Journal Journey where her theme is Anything With Eyes.

Today I have something a bit more traditional.  And because Try it on Tuesday's fortnightly theme is Splatters and Splodges, I'm joining their challenge again, too.

Don't these guys (and maybe a few gals) look ferocious?  Would they scare you?

I was having all kinds of problems with my camera focusing properly.

If you need an interpretation, or can't read the sentiment:
They looked me in the eye and advanced.
I began this entry with black construction paper.  The splatters and splodges were created using my handmade shimmering mists, while the other decorations I chose were two matching strips of decorative silk ribbon.  The focal image came from a travel magazine.  I outlined it using a green chalk paint marker.  The sentiment was computer generated and colored using two shades of green water soluble crayons.

Although I seldom mix art with other entries, I thought I would show why I may have overworked and got ill. 

What used to take no more than four hours to mow, took all day today.  I didn't expect the heat, although I stayed hydrated.

I also planted some new herbs.   The white container on the far left holds Genovese basil seeds, while the blue container has coriander/cilantro.

My dill is about ready to have seeds.  I decided to stake it because it's so top heavy.

It may not look it, but I cut back a lot of weeds and vines in the back.  I also did the same on the back of my house.  However, I got overheated and didn't finish back here.

You can see how much more I have to remove in this area.

Both of my lavenders are doing well, but neither is flowering.  Note the compost bin on the far right of the photo.  For the first time in over five years, instead of allowing the mulching mower to mulch, I bagged the clippings.  This compost container is practically overflowing now.  I filled my other two in my veggie garden, also.

I edged the yard, but not the bricks.  I started to edge the bricks, then ran out of gas/oil mix I needed for my edger. 

I can't believe all my day lilies, including the ones I planted on the border of my property, have all died away.

My Wichita flag flies proudly in the yard, but my rose bush is dormant at the moment.

I took this photo late in the afternoon after I finished clearing my flower bed.  Some of my tiles have seen better days, I fear.

I'm happy to say that my neighbor has now finished pouring his new driveway.  He told me he planned to level the ground and plant sod later in the year.  I am so glad this task is over for another two or three weeks.  The joys of being a single female homeowner.  BTW, I am definitely feeling marginally better.

Thank you beyond belief for joining me today.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as Try it on Tuesday


26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you are feeling better, you have a lot of garden to care for. The flowers on my balcony all got killed off in the extreme heat, s few weeds survived. Lovely piece with the lions, great background. Have a nice day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

You did an amazing job on this impressive page and in your wonderful garden! WOW!!!!
Another THANK YOU for a terrific entry linked to Art Journal Journey and Try It On Tuesday dear Elizabeth!
Happy Sunday!
Big hugs, Susi

Cath Wilson said...

I so love herbs - so tactile and perfumed as well as being beautiful plants. I love dill, but only for its wispy fronds and perfume...though it IS nice on fish :-) You're so blessed to be able to grow basil - it wouldn't last long here in our inclement weather, though my close friend in France grows it outside, too. Mine sits on the windowsill of my kitchen and is regularly cropped as I cook, especially ratatouille!
Awesome tigers. Amazingly beautiful creatures, though I certainly wouldn't want to come face to face with one...seeing them at the Safari park was scary enough for me. Such cold eyes...
Glad you played along with our Splatters and Splodges challenge at Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

Rike said...

No, I would not want to stand in front of these lions! Beautiful background you made for this dangerous photo!
I enjoyed to scroll through your photos of your interesting garden - Much work to do, it's good that you are feeling better now! The heat is incredible, we too suffer in Austria!
Wish you a happy weekend with lower temperature!
Rike xx

Gibby Frogett said...

Fabulous page Elizabeth - one lion would be scary enough to face - so I'd be hoping there was a tall tree I could climb and hope they couldn't ...
You really have been busy in your garden - and still found time to make a page for AJJ - thank you :)
Hope you have a nice and restful weekend... Gill x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Glad your feeling a little better Elizabeth, it's worth taking extra time on the garden when not feeling the best but the fresh air can be very healing. You have a grand space both front and back.
The pride of lions look extremely regimented as if marching off to war. Beautiful creatures but I too would rather watch from a great distance or from photographs just like yours. Great page with those additional splatters those words fit so well.
Wishing you a super weekend Hugs Tracey xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Amazing how heat can sap your strength. You did an amazing amount of work. I like the night time looking background on your page. I would hope that the advancing pride would be like their smaller kitty cousins and advancing for some cuddle time. Take care.

Nancy said...

I'm always impressed with the amount of work and upkeep you do on your own! And despite the heat. Glad you are feeling better, and as you mentioned, staying hydrated is a key.

Meggymay said...

I don't think I would be stopping to look into these eyes, however its a fabulous page and I am delighted you joined us again at TioT's. The dark background makes the page look so dramatic, those cats do look like they are on the prowl looking for mischief perhaps.
I am glad you are feeling a bit better, the photos of your garden look lovely. You can tell you spent hours making it look so welcoming and neat. I am really darwn to your herb garden, I've never been able to grow basil outside, for me its one of my indoor windowsill herbs.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I love the journal page today. Can you image meeting up with so many lionesses? That is a cool photo and you used it to make a great page. Thanks again for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. I love the homemade glitter mists. They really sparkle on that dark paper.

And the yard is looking great. Wow, your herbs look amazing. They must like your weather right now. I can tell you did a lot of work. (Having done a lot myself as I know what it entails.) Hope your heat sickness is better but at least it looks like you can go for bit before your yard needs another clean out. (And maybe cooler by then too.) Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

Birgit said...

I bet you feel better and stronger each day. You have a huge garden which means a lot of work. The Heat gets to me and I have had sunstroke and heat stroke in the past. Be careful of poison ivy/oak. I was 23 and pulled all these vines off an evergreen tree and got very bad poison ivy. My whole body was red and purple and I caulk even wear underwear because I was swollen. My one eye swelled shut..I looked like some escaped freak from a circus! The only thing that calmed my severe itching was ice cold baths and I put ice cubes in it. I was very hot to the touch and tha was soothing. Yup had to go to the hospital to get an adrenaline shot..my hubby has a real green thumb and out tiger Lillie’s are nuts!

Sami said...

Glad you're feeling better Elizabeth, not easy when you have to do it all on your own. The page with the lions looks great, I wouldn't like to be around all of those.

Cindy McMath said...

A great page Elizabeth - perfect for August (Leo). I love the words you put with it - very compelling all around. And for the record, I thought your potato page was very clever - just because someone else had the same idea doesn’t make it less clever, it makes you both clever. Take care!

Caty said...

OOhh You have worked a lot in your garden Elizabeth !! ufff I´m tired just by reading it. Of course, gardens are wonderful, and we can admire so beautiful flowers, trees and plants. Hope your lavanders will have flowers soon. I´m so happy you are feeling much better today.
I love Your Art page with this beautiful lions and the family, love the sentiment, the wonderful background and the silk lace. Really Gorgeous !
I wish you a very nice weekend, and send big hugss,
Caty

Helen said...

looks like you've done a lot of work, now take care and rest up a bit! you have Kew to visit later, ha ha!!

Caty said...

OOhh I just wanted to say that you live in a lovely and pretty house Elizabeth, and I think that your neighbour is a very good person. It´s a great luck to have neighbor like that.
Happy weekend and big hugsss

kathyinozarks said...

Glad to read you are feeling better-I can see you put allot of hours in working in your gardens and yard. great journal page too-hugs

Rita said...

I had to chuckle at your current eyes spread. :)
Glad you are feeling better. Having a yard to tend to is a lot of work. The herbs are looking wonderful.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your yard space. It gives you such good room for composting and new plants. Your beds and patio are lookin' good :) I enjoy herbs, and I like how well yours do in pots. That's also how I plant mine. They overwinter pretty well here.

It's easy to overdo in the heat. I'm glad you recovered fairly quickly. Your house is such a pretty place, and I'm sure it's hard to resist getting out there and doing just one more thing. And then another. And then... ;)

pearshapedcrafting said...

It is quite a while since we visited the Safari Park but we did get quite close to the lions - I'm glad they didn't follow us like this though! A great AJJ choice and also fabulous Spatters and Spodges for our TIOT challenge, Thank you very much for going us!
I am not surprised you became ill staying out long enough to get all that done in one go! It does look lovely, especially your herb garden! I love to see the front of your house, it really is exactly like houses appear in films!! Please imagine in future...when you are tempted to stay out just that bit longer...all of us telling you to go back indoors! Hugs, Chrisxx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm glad you're feeling marginally better. I hope you've been taking it easy. Yards are a lot of work, aren't they? I've delayed cutting my lawn by a few days, because it's not growing as fast, so I think I can get away with not doing it for another day or two. Your potted plants look great. I like your art journal page: the lions are beautiful, but I would be afraid they'd eat me for lunch.

I enjoyed your comment to me about you're not a sewer, and got a chuckle out of me asking you if you used the rust fabric to make some clothes. :-)

craftytrog said...

The garden is looking good, and I love your journal page Elizabeth!
Happy new week,
Alison xxx

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful post and love your garden, so good to feel better and out in the fresh air...does wonders.xx

Marfi-topia said...

Love that artwork! I would be terrified though.
the only thing you could do, I guess, is offer them a salt shaker so you could potentially taste a little better:D

Your yard is lovely! That flower bed looks great, I remember that it was super dry there one year and nothing wanted to grow..now it's just so green!

I know how hard the heat can be on a body, I was out in the garage looking for my Halloween decorations for a while and I was just shocked at the wall of heat in there. I paid for it the next day too, I got dehydrated and my toes cramped up and started curl upwards into elf shoes.

Glad you're feeling better...drink lot's of powerade!
hugs to you.

Jeanie said...

Your plants are looking GORGEOUS -- and BIG!!! LOVE the lavender, even without the flowers! THere's a lot of hard work i that garden and my hat is off to you!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Those eyes marching right toward the camera really do look ferocious. Boy, that's a big yard for one person to manage, Elizabeth. I hope you;ve gotten some rest and are feeling better. Eileen xx