Sunday, August 4, 2019

Neighborhood clean-up


Yesterday was our annual neighborhood clean-up. 

I got rid of a few books and lots of papers that had gotten wet that I didn't deal with last year.  The good news is I found my baby book, and it was dry and intact.

I also found some things I had forgotten I'd stored in closets in the basement, so I have those to go through.  Nothing like I put out last year, but a nice way to get rid of the potential mold.  I also put some free things out and some of them were gone before I could even put the free signs on the boxes.

Friday morning I was taking more items to the "trash" pile, when I saw my Naked Ladies/Surprise Lilies had shot up.


The ones around my rose bush were just peeking out when I took these photos.

I decided to walk to the church where we met Saturday morning at early morning night time.  I felt a few sprinkles when I left the driveway, so returned my camera to the house.  By the time I had walked to the end of the block, the rain was starting to fall.  We battled the rain much of the morning, but our clean-up was a success.  We had enough volunteers, none of us had to work too hard.  After lunch, which the Neighborhood Association paid for, I came home and soaked in a hot bubble bath.  Then I took my sore body to bed and didn't even turn on the computer until late last night.

Thanks for joining me as my neighborhood association held their annual clean-up.

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Neighbourhood clean-ups are a good idea. We have similar things here, some aimed at parks, some for the along the Rhine etc. People often put things for free out all year round. Glad you had a good bath and a rest afterwards. Valerie

Gibby Frogett said...

You have been busy....again... I do hope you are having a more relaxing Sunday and taking it easy for a change Elizabeth.
Happy Sunday!
Gill x

My name is Erika. said...

I've been on a basement clean out and not only throwing out some things but I have also put some things into the freebie area at the dump and they also went overnight. I say that because I can understand your excitement (maybe not the right word) for cleaning out more things. It sure feels good, doesn't it? And I also can't wait to see your lily blooming. I haven't heard of a naked lily so I am excited to see what it looks like. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

No basement here, but the clean-out idea is a good one. I go through spurts of going through stuff after my introduction to the Marie Kondo system. I like the idea of a neighborhood-wide clean-up. It's satisfying to put things out and see that appreciative neighbors have rescued them :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

It sounds like you accomplished a lot during the neighborhood clean up. Your garden looks lovely.

craftytrog said...

Sounds like a busy weekend, but well worth the effort!

froebelsternchen said...

Wow, wonderful, relax now, super busy!
Susi xxx

Nas said...

Looks like you did great by cleaning and clearing out! I need to do same with my storage shed.

Meggymay said...

It sounds like you had a successful day, its good when folk join together to make our areas tidy and good to live in. I'm sure you enjoyed your relaxing soak and a good rest to help you rcvover.
Take care of yourself.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Sounds like a good day. Nice to know by putting out something you no longer wanted, would be taken by someone who could put it to good use. Will look forward to seeing your lilies bloom. Enjoy your day.

Sami said...

What a great idea to have a neighbourhood clean up day.
Through our local council we have twice yearly verge pick-ups, and we can put all we want to throw out on the verge and on a specific week the council will collect. Of course before that happens there are lots of people driving around in their vans picking up good stuff.
A couple of my patio rattan chairs came from someone's verge.

Sandra Cox said...

I love the idea of a neighborhood cleanup. Kudos for you for taking part, dear Elizabeth.
Your garden is looking wonderful.

Rita said...

That's a wonderful thing for the neighborhood to have! Sounds like you were very busy purging to get ready for it, too. :)

Susan Kane said...

Great pro-active community!

Marfi-topia said...

your yard looks great. It's so nice to clean up and clear out unwanted things.

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, well done you on the neighbourhood clean-up, and your own sorting out too. I really need to get going on some big sorting and clearing ready for the move, but I can't seem to summon up the will just now. See, this is what I mean about the speed of changes in the garden... it's all wrong working backwards through these posts!
Alison x

Jeanie said...

what a really good community idea! And I am SO glad you found your baby book. Things like that are precious. You remind me I have to get back to purging my basement.