Friday, May 10, 2019

Friday Smiles 320: Herb Day


Today I'm joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  No museum shots or funnies today, because I have lots of photos I want to share instead.  At least one of these should put a smile on your face!

I do want everyone to know the status of my basement as the rain keeps coming down.  Many people in small towns can't leave their homes because the streets are blocked off.  They can't get their cars out of their driveways, either.  Those who live in the country can't get out of their homes because their homes are surrounded by water.  Many roads are closed, including one of the Interstate highways (actually, the turnpike).  My back yard is a lake and my basement is still having water pushed in because I have no sump pump or way to get rid of the water, except to bail it using a bucket.  Even the walls are beginning to buckle, which scares me to tears.  The boys are both confined to the main part of the house while I stay in the basement trying to keep the water out. 

My next door neighbor believes his entire garage area has shifted off its foundation.  I'm not the only one in this dilemma, because my entire neighborhood either has sump pumps that are working overtime, or they are baling water just like I am.  Part of the problem is, my neighborhood is bounded by two rivers, the Big and Little Arkansas.  The city finally opened all the flood gates that was holding the Big Arkansas back, so that might help in the long run.

Now on to more pleasant things.

Last Saturday was Herb Day at our local Extension Office.

It was raining when I took these photos, and I quickly put my camera away.  I forgot to take any more shots until I got home.

I know this is a lousy shot, but I was chasing a robin around my yard with all my herbs still in my hand.

It took me awhile to pot my new herbs.

This French Lavender, obviously new this year,

sits next to the lavender I purchased two years ago and overwintered in the house.

This is lemon mint I purchased and planted two years ago. It overwintered outside near where it sits today.

Next to it is my dill, which also overwintered outside.


Next comes tricolor sage, which is also new.

Next to it sits Bergarten sage, also new this year.

This is cilantro which I grow from seed.  When it goes to seed, we then call the seeds coriander.  This pot also overwintered outside and these appear to be what has come up since the soil warmed a bit.

Next comes sweet marjoram, obviously also new. 

Inside the cute little wagon I salvaged from my neighbor's "junk trailer" sits, on the left, spearmint, which I purchased and planted last year on herb day.  It overwintered outside, too.

New this year is French tarragon that shares the wagon with the spearmint.

This is my rosemary which I purchased two years ago on herb day.  It overwintered inside.

Last year I purchased a single fennel plant on herb day.  I pressed some of the seeds into the dirt I left outside over the winter.  Looks like I'll have lots of these plants this year.

My last herb is orange mint I purchased two years ago on herb day and it also overwinters well outside.

I thought I would show the herbs all lined up together.

Then it was time to water the new plants.

I thought it might be nice to mow the yard, too, but rain was on the way, so there was no time for that.

Some of you were here yesterday when I created my Second Thursday tutorial. I dead headed my spent irises and this is what they looked like the next day.  Imagine my surprise with how quickly the buds bloomed.

You can also see I moved that really ugly and distracting metal bookcase to the back.

I believe this is much, much better and opens the porch up a bit, too.

Another thing that put a big smile on my face was how my rose bush has bounced back so beautifully.

As I was uploading my photos from my camera, Mr. Needy had to be right there, leaning against me.

If this photo of Squiggles doesn't put a smile on your face, nothing will!  I was SO lucky to capture him being needy.

Thanks for joining me on my back patio in between bouts of rain today.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join, also. 

26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely herbs, enjoy, but Squiggles steals the show today. Sorry about the floods everywhere, sounds like a nightmare, hope the water soon recedes and doesn't cause more problems. It must be very hard getting all the water out. Look after yourself! Valerie

Helen said...

I can't imagine what you are going through (again) with your basement, hope the waters recede soon and you can start drying things out again. the herbs look like they will do well. Great shot of Squiggles. take care

Annie said...

I can almost smell the herbs from here 😀 gorgeous. So sorry to hear about your weather and your basement....I really hope the rain eases soon and causes no more damage for you.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

Oh it is nice to see Squiggles. That photo made me smile this morning. I miss having a cat, even when they are needy and have to sit in your lap. ANd I love the herbs too. You are going to have one amazing herb garden this year. I really loved how you put the plants in that old wagon too.That is a really cool piece. Your photos make me ansty to go out to the garden center and get my plants-but maybe in another week or 2. We are still having some cold night down in the 30's. Your gardens are looking good too. And you have your chairs out on your porch... I need to get around to that also. Hope the rain has stopped (I know they are still predicting more rain but the weather guy didn't show exactly where as they kept the map so big-like the whole US). Hapy Friday. Hugs-Erika

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Elizabeth i'm so sorry to hear about the weather and the floods. I can understand this must be such a worry for you and your neighbouring community. You take care & I hope by opening up the flood gates it will take some of the strain away.
What a beautiful natural garden you have, so nice to see those potted herbs. Your porch looks very inviting. My garden is looking very sad and really needs some TLC but the time is just not available. Nice to see your needy companion, I miss my girl so much.
Hugs for the weekend & keeping my fingers crossed that water does not rise any more. Tracey xx

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Elizabeth, what you are going through is a nightmare and so reminds me of the time, when we lived in Germany, we had a flood in our cellar. So frightening. Puts the rain we're having here into proportion. You will find one of my funnies this week particularly pertinent! Happily, your herb collection is impressive and congratulations on being able to grow coriander from seed - I've not had much success so far. I will try to remember to share photos of my herb garden with you next Friday. Love the photos of the cat - too beautiful. Have a good weekend, despite the flood. Elizabeth xx

Lisca said...

Great to see Squiggles. He’s a handsome boy indeed.
Lovely to see all your herbs.
I’m appalled at your flooding situation. I’d be scared too. I hope it all ends well.
I am on the bus going from Rome to pescara. There is WiFi on the bus.
I’m glad you like the card.
Happy t day,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

The Herb day looks like a great idea. Hope they are not suffering with all that water around. Your kitties look so cute, great companions. We are lucky in Lincoln UK or at least so far. The part where we live is only about 9 or 10 metres above sea level but we have lots of dikes and flood planes. I dread the thought of my koi ending up swimming round the garden though the pond is netted. I hope everything gets back to normal for you soon. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Sami said...

Squiggles is just a darling Elizabeth.
So sorry about the flooding in your area and the awful work you have to get the water out of your basement.
I hope the situation improves soon.
You have so many different herbs, it's great. During Summer my herbs seem to dry and die with the heat, so I will need to plant some more.

Divers and Sundry said...

Hello, Squiggles :)

You have a wonderful and wide variety of herbs! I do love that wagon. I'm glad it found a home where it could be properly appreciated. It's perfect for the herbs. My fennel has suffered from the aggressive attentions of chipmunks, birds, and squirrels :( I hope at least a couple will survive at the end of it all.

The flooding is scary! I hope no permanent damage hits you and your neighbors.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

WOW! So sorry to hear about the flooding. We, here in CA, have had our share of natural disasters -- flooding, fires, etc -- so i feel your pain.

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear the flooding isn't any better as yet, I do hope that the water recedes soon! Your herbs look amazing and I love your flower beds they are so pretty 😁. The star of the show has to be Squiggles though, the photo that you captured is amazing! I love the sharpness and detail, it's mesmerizing and he looks so handsome! Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog and wishing you a happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth.
Your flood situation sounds awful. I hope that it gets better and your basement get dried out soon. I am amazed and touched that you are taking the trouble to comment on my and other's post while you are dealing with this. Thanks very much for your great comment on my blogpost this morning.
Your herb garden is looking good and how good will that be when the herbs all start to grow. I don't know orange mint and will certainly look out for it.
I can see your robin, well done for "catching" it on photo. It is really difficult to catch birds and bees and butterflies on camera. We had a lovely orange tip butterfly here last week and I chased him (quietly) round the garden but he moved so fast and kept moving, so no photo.
Aaaawws, Squiggles. What a marvellous way to end a post. I always love to see Squiggles.

kathyinozarks said...

so sorry about all the flooding-so much in Missouri too and others well-but No fun all when it's your own basement-hope the rain stops soon-we are to get a break on sunday and monday.
If I lived close by I would join you for herb day-I love herbs. I dug up my 3 year old lavender plant that winters well outdoors and put in a large pot so I can it moved to the lake house soon. my spicey oregano also wintered over so that's in a big pot too. I need dig up my madder dye plants-you use the root to dye with-takes three years so it is perfect right now-need to find a new home for it.
Happy Friday! oh and I posted another short blog on weaving and post a really good link on how to finish off the top and bottom when taken off frame loom

kathyinozarks said...

Oh and how could I forget Squiggles! He is adorable good to see him

Meggymay said...

I have really enjoyed reading your post and seeing the photos of your new herbs as well as the ones you overwinter. They all look so healthy and I'm sure you will enjoy using them in the coming months.
But the star of the post has to be the handsome Squiggles, its an amazing photo and I am smiling. I hope Bleubeard didn't mind him getting his photo taken.
I do hope the water levels go down for you, it must be exhausting bailing the water. Stay safe Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Your herbs look great!
So sorry to hear about the flooding and your basement! That's awful! I hope the rain and water subside soon.
LOVE the close up shot! So cute!! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! This is not good news - I can only imagine how you feel! Do take care! Your herb garden is looking good already so I'm looking forward to seeing it later in the year! We went to see the Irises yesterday but jumped the gun a bit - not many flowering yet! Squiggles really is a handsome cat (whispering that of course!!) Big hugs,Chrisx

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful post and garden my friend, thanks for visiting my blog when I'm away. I borrowed my son's computer to greet you.

mamapez5 said...

That sounds a rather dire situation in your basement. I hope the water abates soon.
The herbs are all looking good. I only have apple mint and lavender here,but back in UK I had several. One of my favourites was black-currant sage. The smell when you touched a leaf reminded me of when as little people, my sister and I used to top and tail bucket loads of black-currants from dad's bushes, ready for mum to bottle. It is good that so many can over-winter outside. Mine here do but of course, we have relatively mild winters in Spain.
Squiggles has such beautiful eyes. It is so lovely when they snuggle up isn't it? Kate x

Carol said...

Great photo of Squiggles xx :) I am sorry you are bailing water - I hope the levels fall soon and any repair works are not too costly xx Herbs look wonderful xx Have a lovely weekend xx

Caty said...

WWoowww love Squiggles ♥ !! He is the king of the house today!! So sweet !!
I love your plants, old and new are wonderful!! I have got some plants too in my house, not so much, as I live in a flat, but I ´ve always had plants.
I wish you a very nice weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

Halle said...

That's a nice collection of herbs. Squiggles is a handsome lad...so nice of him to stay still long enough to capture that face.

Jeanie said...

That is THE best photo of Squiggles! FABULOUS!

I love that you can get your herbs planted. I don't dare for another two or three weeks, it's been so cold and rainy. I might get the ones I'll pot sooner, though -- I can bring them in at night if need be. What a wonderful fragrance all those herbs will bring. They are my favorite thing to plant!

Eileen Bergen said...

Mr. Squiggles did put a smile on my face. So did your wonderful herb purchases and how new and spring-like your garden looks. Eileen

Lowcarb team member said...

So sorry about the very bad flooding in your area and the hard work you have to get the water out of your basement, I do hope things get better soon.

Lovely to see all of your different herbs.

Sweet Squiggles :)

All the best Jan